Thread: Fan noise

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 59
  1. Collapse Details
    Fan noise
    #1
    Default
    Just curious if anyone has some tips for working around the F35's fan noise? Even set to minimum it's giving me PTSD flashbacks to the Red. Just want to avoid using longer lenses if possible but it's starting to look like it may be the only way to get some distance between the camera and the mics.


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #2
    Default
    Replace them.

    I may have one or two replacement fans somewhere I can sell you.


    Also, unless your camera is stuck at max fan, it should be all that bad. Have you dusted and cleared the camera at all?


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #3
    Default
    I haven't opened up the camera yet as I'm kind of worried I'd brick it completely.


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #4
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by pounge View Post
    I haven't opened up the camera yet as I'm kind of worried I'd brick it completely.
    If you opened a computer, it is kind of the same thing.


    The two outer side panels are fairly easy to handle. The top is too, just have to be mindful of the thin cables from the top dock to the main board.


    The F35 isn’t silent, but i’ve felt it shouldn’t cause sound issues unless you’re right up on whispering actors.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #5
    Senior Member DIRECTORDEVIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    122
    Default
    My noise disappears the moment you press the record button. Bye there’s a big BUT, you have to be shooting with the SRW-1 which by the way is amazing quality. Other then that yes it’s very noisy and I myself wouldn’t dig into the camera either. If size isn’t a factor then srw1 will get you your silence.
    Favorite Cameras I own
    Sony F35 & Sony F3

    Decent Cameras I own
    Arri Alexa Classic, Canon XH-A1 Dvx100b

    These Cameras I own that almost did it for me BUT NOPE
    BMCC.2.5K AND FUJI XH1

    These I own as a mad scientist and fanboy but will never shoot with again
    Red one MX, Red Epic, Ursa mini pro G2

    My ultimate advice " Find a camera you love that way your signature won't be like mine"


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #6
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRECTORDEVIN View Post
    My noise disappears the moment you press the record button. Bye there’s a big BUT, you have to be shooting with the SRW-1 which by the way is amazing quality. Other then that yes it’s very noisy and I myself wouldn’t dig into the camera either. If size isn’t a factor then srw1 will get you your silence.
    Ah, yes, true. I forget, most of us manually set the fan speed to a user button, so that we can go to quiet mode during record.


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #7
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRECTORDEVIN View Post
    My noise disappears the moment you press the record button. Bye there’s a big BUT, you have to be shooting with the SRW-1 which by the way is amazing quality. Other then that yes it’s very noisy and I myself wouldn’t dig into the camera either. If size isn’t a factor then srw1 will get you your silence.
    huh, hadn't even considered using the SRW-1 honestly. I think it would become tiresome quickly given that I'm usually the entire camera department.

    But luckily even though my camera came with the menus locked out I can still access the fan settings through one of the user buttons up top. Minimum seems workable but wonder if I should maybe drape a blanket over the camera to hide the noise a bit more?


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #8
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by pounge View Post
    huh, hadn't even considered using the SRW-1 honestly. I think it would become tiresome quickly given that I'm usually the entire camera department.

    But luckily even though my camera came with the menus locked out I can still access the fan settings through one of the user buttons up top. Minimum seems workable but wonder if I should maybe drape a blanket over the camera to hide the noise a bit more?
    How did you get locked out of the menus?

    Assuming a BW EVF would allow you to see menus for cheap.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #9
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    How did you get locked out of the menus?

    Assuming a BW EVF would allow you to see menus for cheap.
    I don't really know exactly but reading the manual makes me think that the previous owner switched off the menus for clean outputs from the SDI ports and VF? But must have bunged that up since I can still see "LUT" in the top left corner of the BW EVF and Monitor Out. But nah, absolutely no menus coming out of this camera so I can't even find out the IP Address to connect via laptop. But I do have access to some things on the side panel (slog/sgamut, shutter, framerate, 422/444 output, WB, fan speed, gain drop) so I can atleast shoot with it in some form.


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #10
    Senior Member DIRECTORDEVIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    122
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by pounge View Post
    huh, hadn't even considered using the SRW-1 honestly. I think it would become tiresome quickly given that I'm usually the entire camera department.

    But luckily even though my camera came with the menus locked out I can still access the fan settings through one of the user buttons up top. Minimum seems workable but wonder if I should maybe drape a blanket over the camera to hide the noise a bit more?
    Super sorry you are going through any of this, are you in New York? If so you can borrow my evf to change some settings around. I wouldn’t caution the blanket though, heat can be a real problem with such a big machine.
    Favorite Cameras I own
    Sony F35 & Sony F3

    Decent Cameras I own
    Arri Alexa Classic, Canon XH-A1 Dvx100b

    These Cameras I own that almost did it for me BUT NOPE
    BMCC.2.5K AND FUJI XH1

    These I own as a mad scientist and fanboy but will never shoot with again
    Red one MX, Red Epic, Ursa mini pro G2

    My ultimate advice " Find a camera you love that way your signature won't be like mine"


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •