Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Godox VL300 Review
    Not that long ago, I asked you guys about getting a good light for a soft box. I was told get the most powerful one you could afford and if you get multiple lights, try to stick with the same manufacturer. At the time, I only had the budget for one Godox vl150. I really liked that light. Fortunately, I just picked up the vl300. I really love it and it pairs nicely with the vl150.

Here’s my full review:
    Godox VL300 LED Light Review: Unboxing, Setup, Overview, Best Accessories and Lighting Example
    https://youtu.be/4qwHsVuTWLM
    What do you mean funny? Like a clown? Do I amuse you?! Huh??!!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by thefilmaddict View Post
    Not that long ago, I asked you guys about getting a good light for a soft box. I was told get the most powerful one you could afford and if you get multiple lights, try to stick with the same manufacturer. At the time, I only had the budget for one Godox vl150. I really liked that light. Fortunately, I just picked up the vl300. I really love it and it pairs nicely with the vl150.

Here’s my full review:
    Godox VL300 LED Light Review: Unboxing, Setup, Overview, Best Accessories and Lighting Example
    https://youtu.be/4qwHsVuTWLM
    Nice review and I concur, I really like my VL300, Godox has a home run with their video lighting. So much so that I bought two more VL300s for a big shoot and just ordered two VL150s to compliment the VL300s as fill and BG sources.
    We really are in a golden age of LED lighting now with powerful COB lights like this that are inexpensive and have surprisingly high output.

These are the first LEDs I have owned where I feel like I am not working with a handicap of only having panel lights and relatively low output with weird skin tones. You will notice they have a slight Magenta bias when brand new but as
    LEDs age, they go more green so at some point, the output will be perfect, very accurate before the light biases toward green. All easily correctable with gels or a manual white balance or easily correctable in CC.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

3. Collapse Details
    Thank you! Great review and tun down!

How long have you been using the D&O brick batteries? With the advent of LED a lot more people on the look for cheap Watt hours.

And with less power hungry cameras an dual battery systems (often an NPf, EP6, or BP Internal for redundancy), the brick quality is less crucial, and significant money can be saved going with cheaper bricks.

4. Collapse Details
    Thanks, guys.

puredrifting you have a lot of great gear! I have a bunch of smaller LED lights, but I hate using them now because they don't look as good as the Godox lights. The Godox lights are clean.

The D&O brick has been good so far. I haven't used it a lot, so I don't know if it's going to have a long life, but like you said, it's really affordable. Really good batteries seem to cost more than the lights nowadays! I'll let you know how the battery does in time.
    What do you mean funny? Like a clown? Do I amuse you?! Huh??!!

5. Collapse Details
    Setup for a live stream from a performing arts school last weekend.
    Godox VL300 through the Nice Foto 120CM parabolic boxes x 2 Cross Keys, VL150 x 2 through the 90CM Nice Fotos as fills,
    Godox VL300 raking across theater chairs using barndoors and honeycomb, Intellytech Light Canons w barndoors x 2 as hair lights.

Very happy with the value equation on the Godox and the Intellytechs. Not the best lights money can buy but probably the best for the
    little money spent for all of them. This was using our old Sony PXW-X70 cameras hence the high output. These small sensor (1") are
    pretty light hungry, even with the keys at full power, had to add 12dB of gain, we are spoiled by S35 and FF sensors, small sensors
    require so much more light output to look good.

IMG_9487.jpg

IMG_9483.jpg

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Setup for a live stream from a performing arts school last weekend.
    Godox VL300 through the Nice Foto 120CM parabolic boxes x 2 Cross Keys, VL150 x 2 through the 90CM Nice Fotos as fills,
    Godox VL300 raking across theater chairs using barndoors and honeycomb, Intellytech Light Canons w barndoors x 2 as hair lights.

Very happy with the value equation on the Godox and the Intellytechs. Not the best lights money can buy but probably the best for the
    little money spent for all of them. This was using our old Sony PXW-X70 cameras hence the high output. These small sensor (1") are
    pretty light hungry, even with the keys at full power, had to add 12dB of gain, we are spoiled by S35 and FF sensors, small sensors
    require so much more light output to look good.

IMG_9487.jpg

IMG_9483.jpg
    Damn, Dan. All that light and you still had to bump-up to +12? Did someone leave the lens caps on? ; ) If those pictures are really representative of the light, even my VariCam's(2/3") would have probably been at -3 and possibly have had some ND dialed in.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Damn, Dan. All that light and you still had to bump-up to +12? Did someone leave the lens caps on? ; ) If those pictures are really representative of the light, even my VariCam's(2/3") would have probably been at -3 and possibly have had some ND dialed in.
    Yeah, they are older technology and really light inefficient. Not sure what their native ISO is but these feel like lighting for the old days when our cameras were
    native 400 ISO. No matter, I had enough horsepower with the Godox. This is also just an iPhone snap too so I have no idea of what my iPhone 8 Plus native
    ISO is but I bet it's higher than these Sonys. I will say that I have been surprised at how good these cameras do with gain, they look surprisingly good without
    seeing much in the way of grain and noise. I'm trying to get the owner to update his cams but these are paid for, look good enough for clients so he's not
    really motivated to buy better cameras. I think something like the Panasonic CX350 with integrated NDI would be the hot ticket for us.

These Sonys belong to the owner of the company. When he bids projects, he bids with his Sonys, when I bid projects, I bid them with my X-T3s usually. The client
    did want flat and bright too, not my favorite way to light but in live streaming, most clients freak out if you actually build in modeling and shadows with a decent
    lighting ratio. It's been a difficult transition for me because I normally like to light pretty moody and dramatic, but live streaming is a different animal than
    regular production.

8. Collapse Details
    Seems to be a heavy handed approach. Blasting the subject with a bunch of soft light from the front with no background or hair lights. You can see the shadows cast from the arm rests of the chairs.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    Seems to be a heavy handed approach. Blasting the subject with a bunch of soft light from the front with no background or hair lights. You can see the shadows cast from the arm rests of the chairs.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. I take it you have not been at this long enough to have ever lit ASA 50 S16 stock or ISO320 or 400 Betacams? This reminded me of that.
    I'm a decent DP, keep in mind this is an iPhone snap, the cameras and monitors looked NOTHING like this. Actually there is a VL300 with barndoors and a honeycomb grid
    raking the seats from the camera right side lighting up the seats and two Intellytech Light Cannons camera left and right as hair lights, you can barely see one of them up in the seats camera left.

I am not allowed to post any stills from the cameras or monitors as it was at a school and was a student-based live stream and the client said no social media,
    he didn't care about the gear.
    Last edited by puredrifting; 12-13-2020 at 07:41 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. I take it you have not been at this long enough to have ever lit ASA 50 S16 stock or ISO320 or 400 Betacams? This reminded me of that.
    I'm a decent DP, keep in mind this is an iPhone snap, the cameras and monitors looked NOTHING like this. Actually there is a VL300 with barndoors and a honeycomb grid
    raking the seats from the camera right side lighting up the seats and two Intellytech Light Cannons camera left and right as hair lights, you can barely see one of them up in the seats camera left.

I am not allowed to post any stills from the cameras or monitors as it was at a school and was a student-based live stream and the client said no social media,
    he didn't care about the gear.
    If I remember correctly, our old Betacam's (pre-D600/pre-dual turret) only had two and four stops of built-in ND(and clear). Even outside in the middle of the day, it seems like it was rare when you needed more than four stops, back then. Heck, now there are times when six stops are not enough and eight is barely there(and as you know, some Canon's have 10 stops built-in).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast