Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    For what it’s worth, I have a 664 and 633 and most of my dedicated audio guys run either 664’s, 633’s or 688’s and I don’t think we’ve ever recorded mono WAV’s. Only poly (and mp3 for transcription, but some guys don’t even do that anymore and instead record the wav to both cards as a safety and just do a conversion afterwards for MP3’s, if wanted).
    Or get the new Sound Devices 8 Series which records to triple media ;-) You can still double up for safety with 2x PolyWavs *and* do MP3 to the third.
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    Or get the new Sound Devices 8 Series which records to triple media ;-) You can still double up for safety with 2x PolyWavs *and* do MP3 to the third.
    If I was buying from scratch today... But I bet I can squeeze another decade out of my 6 series mixers. Heck, I still have my 442 in it’s bag and a 302 in the closet, just in-case.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    If I was buying from scratch today... But I bet I can squeeze another decade out of my 6 series mixers. Heck, I still have my 442 in it’s bag and a 302 in the closet, just in-case.
    A person probably could, but the new 8 Series (or a Zaxcom Nova for that matter) offers so much more, and this is just the start of the development cycle! Look at how different the first ever 6 Series was when initially released vs a 688 now with all the firmware updates. Huge improvement.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    A person probably could, but the new 8 Series (or a Zaxcom Nova for that matter) offers so much more, and this is just the start of the development cycle! Look at how different the first ever 6 Series was when initially released vs a 688 now with all the firmware updates. Huge improvement.
    So, you’re suggesting that someone on a MixPre-3 budget just go ahead plunk down $4500 on an 833? Or $8000 for an 888?

Yes, the 8-series mixer/recorders have lots of great features, but not everyone is able to foot that kind of investment. Instead, it is entirely possible to do some pretty damn good work with the MixPre series, and it’s just a matter of learning the workflow to make the most of it. I think the folks who don’t have the big budgets are better served in learning how to use the gear they have rather than just telling them to buy something much more expensive. Especially if they aren’t doing the kind of work that would pay for such a large purchase.

Own small, rent big. You can get a lot done that way. Save the big purchases for when the work coming in justifies buying the bigger, better option and will pay it off in reasonable time.
    Knoxville-based location sound mixer.

Instagram @sonolocus

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex H. View Post
    So, youíre suggesting that someone on a MixPre-3 budget just go ahead plunk down $4500 on an 833? Or $8000 for an 888?

Yes, the 8-series mixer/recorders have lots of great features, but not everyone is able to foot that kind of investment. Instead, it is entirely possible to do some pretty damn good work with the MixPre series, and itís just a matter of learning the workflow to make the most of it. I think the folks who donít have the big budgets are better served in learning how to use the gear they have rather than just telling them to buy something much more expensive. Especially if they arenít doing the kind of work that would pay for such a large purchase.

Own small, rent big. You can get a lot done that way. Save the big purchases for when the work coming in justifies buying the bigger, better option and will pay it off in reasonable time.
    Of course I'm not suggesting the 8 Series to a prospective MixPre3 buyer, that came about because of Run&Gun & I getting sidetracked talking about the 6 Series. And yes, I think if this is your life as a working professional, I'm going to say go for an 8 Series over a 6 Series as your main everyday recorder.

And the 833 really isn't crazy expensive at all. Remember for a long time the 633 / Maxx (or 552 before that, etc...) was more or less the de facto "minimum professional standard" get into this field. And the 833 is mere the same price point as those of the past.

6. Collapse Details
    The more I have worked in both production and post sound, the more I think that video and DP type people shouldn't be doing sound. It's just such a different animal than
    camera, grip and lighting. I pretty much am only doing sound for one or two person interviews these days as it's simple and having a pro is often good insurance for simple
    interviews, but clients won't usually pony up for a sound mixer unless it's a high profile interview.

An exception might be if you are like R&G and own a lot of gear, it would make sense to own your own high end sound package as you can make the kit fee and rentals IF you work
    with pros who are okay using your gear? Or if you are a true multi-hypehnate and really know location sound and occasionally do it for others, then it make sense. I don't see
    the need for much beyond a Mix Pre 3 though for 95% of Video and DP people, the job is simply too involved to try to do it well while being a producer/DP/directopr/Cam Op
    and there are too many pros out there who are so talented like Alex. Just hire them.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    I would recommend the 10 over the MixPre 3 or 6 as it has BNC timecode in and out and a proper locking
    power port. The 8 XLR inputs are nice and it runs for hours on a NP-960 battery. Internal SD card
    and the ability to backup record to a USB thumb drive. It really is worth the differential
    from the MixPre 3 II and well below a 6xx or 8xx recorder.
    Last edited by dc4040; 12-04-2020 at 12:53 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    I'm not super familiar with the MixPre II series (still rolling with a 633 and sometimes a 744T), but the small MixPres seem like they're pretty practical for a bunch of people.

Are people having issues with the 3.5mm TC I/O on the MixPre-3 II and MixPre-6 II? And for those with powering issues, are the Hirose adapter (and I =think=) improved AA Batt sled problematic? And don't all the MixPre II series can back up to thumb drives? Or does the 10 do so in realtime? https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre-...parison-chart/

#questionsnotchallenges

Thanks!
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

9. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Feeley View Post
    I'm not super familiar with the MixPre II series (still rolling with a 633 and sometimes a 744T), but the small MixPres seem like they're pretty practical for a bunch of people.

Are people having issues with the 3.5mm TC I/O on the MixPre-3 II and MixPre-6 II? And for those with powering issues, are the Hirose adapter (and I =think=) improved AA Batt sled problematic? And don't all the MixPre II series can back up to thumb drives? Ordoes the 10 do so in realtime? https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre-...parison-chart/

#questionsnotchallenges

Thanks!
    I just looked at SD site and all three auto copy to USB drive when recording finishes but you can start another recording simultaneously

Initially the MP 3 and 6 II had inconsistent TC which was fixed in a FW update

I use the Hawkwoods NPF sled for longer recording times as my PIX-E5 uses those batteries

Overall I prefer locking connections when possible

Only other difference with MP 10 II is two TA3 outputs

10. Collapse Details
    They pack a punch for not a whole lot of money. They certainly have their limitations, but there’s nothing there I’ve found that keeps them from taking on some impressive projects.

I have both the 10 II and the 6 II (had first-gen 10T and 6, but sold them when the second generation came out). I’ve done a lot of stuff on the 10 II and have had zero issues.

Are people having issues with the 3.5mm TC I/O on the MixPre-3 II and MixPre-6 II? And for those with powering issues, are the Hirose adapter (and I =think=) improved AA Batt sled problematic?
    I use a Tentacle Sync E with my MixPre-6 II and keep it tucked inside the audio bag. 3.5mm isn’t a robust connection, but as long as it’s protected inside the side-access of the bag, it’s no issue. And I don’t really have to keep it there... just jam and release and it’s good to go for the day... but I like to have it on me at all times in case I have to re-jam all my Tentacles at any point during the day.

The AA sleds are not the best, but these machines can eat AAs for breakfast, and again for second breakfast, elevensies, lunch...

The Hirose sleds work. My MixPre-6 II is primarily my SFX recorder, but I will also use it as a primary recorder on smaller (read: lower-budget) projects or where I only need 3-4 channels tops and weight and maneuverability are concerns. It’s great to have an audio kit that weighs next to nothing and still packs a punch. The only issue I have dealt with in using the Cable Techniques Hirose sled and NP-1 batteries is getting the MixPre to read the battery telemtry. It’s a little odd as it never shows a full battery on the MixPre, but I will get low-battery warnings. And I’m always checking the battery’s own meter. Once I get to 25%, I swap out.

The MixPre-10 II has Hirose inbuilt, and I use Inspired Energy smart batteries with mine. Zero issues.

And don't all the MixPre II series can back up to thumb drives? Or does the 10 do so in realtime?
    Yes. With the first generation, it was only the MixPre-10T that could back up to a thumb drive and that had an internal TC generator. They added those features to the entire line of MixPre II.

The USB backup is not a dual-record, but is an instantaneous backup. In other words, the audio is recorded to the SD card and the recorder immediately starts copying the file from SD to USB.
    Knoxville-based location sound mixer.

Instagram @sonolocus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast