1. Collapse Details
    Sony FX9 x Atomos Ninja V touchscreen x LANC
    Hi guys, I was wondering if we can use the touchscreen functions of the new FX9 firmware update with the Atomos Ninja V using a LANC or HDMI cable. I'd like to use the Ninja V as my main monitor and use the touchscreen features to navigate through the options and be able to focus touching the screen. Is it something possible? Thanks!

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ganzel View Post
    Is it something possible? Thanks!
    No.

3. Collapse Details
    How do i enable touch autofocus?

Im pretty sure i enabled it earlier, or that it was enabled. But its not possible to click various faces, or AF square boxes. Almost like its not touch screen. I have latest FW.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ganzel View Post
    Hi guys, I was wondering if we can use the touchscreen functions of the new FX9 firmware update with the Atomos Ninja V using a LANC or HDMI cable. I'd like to use the Ninja V as my main monitor and use the touchscreen features to navigate through the options and be able to focus touching the screen. Is it something possible? Thanks!
    Best you can hope for is something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83NwWwAx2To

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin.G View Post
    How do i enable touch autofocus?

Im pretty sure i enabled it earlier, or that it was enabled. But its not possible to click various faces, or AF square boxes. Almost like its not touch screen. I have latest FW.
    Its sort of semi touch focus really .. set touch screen to on .. you can move the focus area,s Zone and flexible spot around .. and with flexible spot if you keep your finger on the box you can move it around with a subject , but only in focus set mode... so basically its not touch focus like the A7 cameras .. you can just move the focus Area around .. Face /eye tracking will work once you have set it .. and will automaclly track a face.. you can change to any faces that has a box but you need to use the joy stick on the grip or the buttons on the camera body ..

6. Collapse Details
    Oh ok, i misunderstood Alistairs video then and thought you could touch-focus select between the face AF boxes. But that was not possible on my camera. No reason it shouldnt though, i mean, you can already move some focus around, just update to select between identified faces squared nicely on the screen.

7. Collapse Details
    Oh ok, i misunderstood Alistairs video then and thought you could touch-focus select between the face AF boxes. But that was not possible on my camera. No reason it shouldnt though, i mean, you can already move some focus around, just update to select between identified faces squared nicely on the screen.
    Yeah the touch screen is most valuable for quicker menu changes from the status pages .. alot of people are wanting the fast touch focus of the A7,s ..could be handy but I use the loupe all the time so not much good for me .. might get introduced ,I mean they suddenly announced it was a touch screen last FW really out of the blue .. for me the auto face tracking does the trick for interviews / presenters, I dont need to be jabbing at the screen all the time ..but interesting I guess the generational change going on.. young folk that are now camera op.s who came totally from DSLR..they have never used EVF or loupe and are used to everything being touch screen.. not knocking them at all.. there is some amazing work out there.. just a new generation wanting different things from a tv camera ..

8. Collapse Details
    Yeah, i went to filmschool in 2008, never touched a loupe camera. And TV is dying, well, analog that is. Its all heading to on demand streaming.

Using the loupe restricts selection of angle and composition though, thats why i almost never use my loupe. Rather get a lower angle with easyrig handheld, than the bread and butter shoulder height. Im also slightly taller than average, and women are lower. So having a lower angle is much nicer when shooting women. The region i live in has a "flight" of young women moving away to get education, so theres especially focus on putting women at the front of the camera to highlight their lives and careers here.

I would like to press the screen when shooting multiple characters in the same framing, switching between them as they talk. The Sony FE lenses are useless for MF, but the FX9 AF is awful on my Sigma lenses with Metabones adapter. It just doesnt look good in video.

Would hate to be forced into buying the Sony 28-135 just for these kind of shots where i want to switch between AF/MF quickly. The lens is huge and expensive compared to what i want to achieve.

9. Collapse Details
    Sony 24-105

10. Collapse Details
    Y
    Yeah, i went to filmschool in 2008, never touched a loupe camera. And TV is dying, well, analog that is. Its all heading to on demand streaming.

Using the loupe restricts selection of angle and composition though, thats why i almost never use my loupe. Rather get a lower angle with easyrig handheld, than the bread and butter shoulder height. Im also slightly taller than average, and women are lower. So having a lower angle is much nicer when shooting women. The region i live in has a "flight" of young women moving away to get education, so theres especially focus on putting women at the front of the camera to highlight their lives and careers here.

I would like to press the screen when shooting multiple characters in the same framing, switching between them as they talk. The Sony FE lenses are useless for MF, but the FX9 AF is awful on my Sigma lenses with Metabones adapter. It just doesnt look good in video.

Would hate to be forced into buying the Sony 28-135 just for these kind of shots where i want to switch between AF/MF quickly. The lens is huge and expensive compared to what i want to achieve.

Yes does seem the Sony lenses work the best with the fx9 AF.. cant really blame them for that really.. I had the same doubts abut the 28-135.. but actually its not a bad lens and not really anything else close in FF .. I have that same women flight on a personal level too