1. Collapse Details
    Lightwieght NLE for novice
    Hi All

I have a friend who is a writer and has asked me " I recorded the [book] launch event on Zoom. I'd like to clean up the video a bit - maybe top and tail it with a slide and take out some of my ums and ers - but I've no idea how to. This may be an impossible ask, but can you recommend some free or cheap software that is easy to learn and use on the PC?"

She does about one launch a year, it was only zoom because of COVID. She isn't going to get into film making.

I am using Resolve which is not a solution. It is Over kill and far too much of Learning curve. Any suggestions for a PC iMovie?

2. Collapse Details
    Microsoft Windows used to come with a free program called Movie Maker, and Windows 10 replaced it with Video Editor. I haven't used either, though.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    Microsoft Windows used to come with a free program called Movie Maker, and Windows 10 replaced it with Video Editor. I haven't used either, though.
    An obvious answer (now some one has pointed it out to me!) in 3 minutes.
    Many thanks

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMedia View Post
    Hi All

I have a friend who is a writer and has asked me " I recorded the [book] launch event on Zoom. I'd like to clean up the video a bit - maybe top and tail it with a slide and take out some of my ums and ers - but I've no idea how to. This may be an impossible ask, but can you recommend some free or cheap software that is easy to learn and use on the PC?"

She does about one launch a year, it was only zoom because of COVID. She isn't going to get into film making.

I am using Resolve which is not a solution. It is Over kill and far too much of Learning curve. Any suggestions for a PC iMovie?
    I agree. Resolve I love for getting detailed about things, but is a bit of a bear for simple things.

If you get a Mac with an M1, you can get this one app for your desktop, laptop, iPhone, and iPad. lumafusion

$19
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/lumafusion/id1062022008

But as Combat mentioned, the free video editors on Mac and Windows are serviceable too. =)

5. Collapse Details
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

6. Collapse Details
    Try Magix movie studio. Haven't used it in a few years, but it used to have a bunch of built in tutorials showing you how to do stuff. And if you ever need more detailed stuff, can upgrade to Vegas Pro

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    By sheer coincidence, Magix Vegas movie studio is now available as part of a Humble Bundle for $25.
    https://www.humblebundle.com/softwar...ent=cta_button

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    I believe OP is asking for a simple NLE more than anything else.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CBS View Post
    I believe OP is asking for a simple NLE more than anything else.
    Correct, the simpler the better for a complete novice to use (no, not me :-) ) one or twice a year with no learning curve.
    As noted above I pointed her at the "video Editor" that is built into Win 10. I had no idea it was there and it is the PC equivalent of iMovie i.e. free, simple and already installed.

But don't let that stop people discussing other free/cheap entry level editors.
    Last edited by JAMedia; 12-28-2020 at 07:55 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Probably should suggest KDEnlive on Windows, tons of tutorial stuff on YouTube, and free.
    https://kdenlive.org/en/