Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Intellytech vs Litemat:
    Hello:

So I am in a dilemma trying to decide my next purchase. I currently own a LITEMAT 4 s2 and I love this light to death. So much so that I want to get another light to partner it up with. First thought was to get another LITEMAT but unfortunately as you all know they are really expensive. By chance I came across a video for INTELLYTECH lights. Judging from the videos alone they seem to be a great buy. Just wondering if anyone has experience dealing with both and are aware if I combine two different brand lights? I want to add I love to use my LITEMAT through unbleached muslin material, and that makes me lose a good amount of light. Will the light quality be different if I am using a LITEMAT and an ITELLYTECH light side by side through the same muslin material?

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

O.R

2. Collapse Details
    I don't have specific knowledge of the products. It comes down to what you're filming and quality you need. In my experience when filming interviews you have to be careful mixing brands because the cheaper ones can have tints that you don't notice until you start looking closely at skin tones. I prefer quality for key and fill. Background and hair don't matter.

3. Collapse Details
    That’s a tough one. I have a client with some older Litemats and they look good. I also own three Intellytech’s, two 2x2 LC-160 bi-color litecloth fixtures and a bi-color Mega-litecloth(3x4.5) and they look good(great), as well. But I’ve never mixed the two together. I have however mixed the Intellytechs with my Gemini’s, Astra’s, Astera’s, Quasars and Hive’s with no issues, for what it’s worth.

My only real issue with Intellytech lights are their erector-set assembly and tear-down/pack-up. The quality of the light itself is beautiful. Of course, the Litemats are not quite as bad with set-up/tear-down, but they are still a minor pita.

4. Collapse Details
    Generally with LEDs, it's not optimal to mix brands if both sources are lighting the people in the same scene. Not that you cannot get away with this, you might be able to. But generally LEDs by brand have varying levels
    of magenta I have found and color correcting scenes with mixed lighting hitting talent can be a nightmare. I mix them up all of the time when I can light in zones and it's fine but I always try to avoid lighting talent with
    mixed brand LED lights.

FWIW, I have a two Light Cannon Intellytech kit I bought earlier this year and I am really impressed with the build and quality as I had never lit with their products before.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Just keep track of the screw tightness in the Light Cannon handle mount. The four tiny screws come from the inside the light through the body to the mounting pug, so when they start to get loose, you have to disassemble the entire Cannon shell to get to them, and the shell and the interior components are largely held together by friction and compression.

Major PITA.

Other than that, great lights.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Generally with LEDs, it's not optimal to mix brands if both sources are lighting the people in the same scene. Not that you cannot get away with this, you might be able to. But generally LEDs by brand have varying levels
    of magenta I have found and color correcting scenes with mixed lighting hitting talent can be a nightmare. I mix them up all of the time when I can light in zones and it's fine but I always try to avoid lighting talent with
    mixed brand LED lights.

FWIW, I have a two Light Cannon Intellytech kit I bought earlier this year and I am really impressed with the build and quality as I had never lit with their products before.
    That has always been my philosophy(due to real world results) on LED’s. Until recently. Obviously you need to test and see how they behave on-camera, but it’s not like the old days when the difference between brands was literally night & day(or white and green or magenta...). Plus, a lot of lights have +/- green adjustability, today(actually still have yet to use that on any of my lights that have that feature, mostly because they match so well, now. Ironically, when we really needed that feature, it wasn’t available).

I still try to key with all the same lights when possible, but I have used the LC-160’s as hairs with Gemini’s as keys and I regularly use a Gemini 1x1 or Astra 6x as fill with my 800 HMI.

The only LED’s that I own that really do not match anything else are my Nila’s. But I’ve only seen one(or one pair) of Nila’s in-person that I actually thought were clean.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    mixed brand LED lights.

Especially true of bi-color. I find along the spectrum things can drift between brands. All the variables makes it more difficult to gel.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by captslomo View Post
    Just keep track of the screw tightness in the Light Cannon handle mount. The four tiny screws come from the inside the light through the body to the mounting pug, so when they start to get loose, you have to disassemble the entire Cannon shell to get to them, and the shell and the interior components are largely held together by friction and compression.

Major PITA.

Other than that, great lights.
    Thanks for the tip, I just tightened them down!
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

9. Collapse Details
    The main appeal for the Intellytech litecloth fixtures (IMO) is just how small they can pack if that is important. I bought two LC160 units before starting a bunch of OMB travel shoots for a major health care provider. Having a 2x2 source that packs down to flat 1x1 was really useful in that situation. I packed it along with all of the gack in my large suitcase with a domke wrap around the controller. Worked very well and I even got away with using Merf stands on those travel shoots. I've used these fixtures in other situations as well, but when I'm local I much prefer using my COB fixtures with domes or diff frames.

As RnG mentioned, the parts and build up can be a bit tedious on set, so if the portability isn't super important to you, then you can stick with Litemats. As far as color quality goes, they are great but my main issue with them was that my two units did not match well to each other on the Green/magenta spectrum. Since that's a small sample size, it's hard to know if that issue is pervasive. I haven't heard anyone else complain about that, and there are a number of folks on DVXuser who own multiple copies of the same litecloth fixtures, so I'm guessing it was just my bad fortune.

I also appreciate the Kelvin range on the Intellytech fixtures. It's pretty generous. Just don't expect the temp reading on the box to be super accurate. You may need to do tests to know how much it's off and get to know your offset.

Lastly, if it were me I would stick to what Puredrifiting said for lighting people. These are all high quality lights, but not close enough to use the two brands on the same person or for multiple people in the same scene. I'd stick with a brand for that.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmorphasis View Post
    The main appeal for the Intellytech litecloth fixtures (IMO) is just how small they can pack if that is important. I bought two LC160 units before starting a bunch of OMB travel shoots for a major health care provider. Having a 2x2 source that packs down to flat 1x1 was really useful in that situation. I packed it along with all of the gack in my large suitcase with a domke wrap around the controller. Worked very well and I even got away with using Merf stands on those travel shoots. I've used these fixtures in other situations as well, but when I'm local I much prefer using my COB fixtures with domes or diff frames.

As RnG mentioned, the parts and build up can be a bit tedious on set, so if the portability isn't super important to you, then you can stick with Litemats. As far as color quality goes, they are great but my main issue with them was that my two units did not match well to each other on the Green/magenta spectrum. Since that's a small sample size, it's hard to know if that issue is pervasive. I haven't heard anyone else complain about that, and there are a number of folks on DVXuser who own multiple copies of the same litecloth fixtures, so I'm guessing it was just my bad fortune.

I also appreciate the Kelvin range on the Intellytech fixtures. It's pretty generous. Just don't expect the temp reading on the box to be super accurate. You may need to do tests to know how much it's off and get to know your offset.

Lastly, if it were me I would stick to what Puredrifiting said for lighting people. These are all high quality lights, but not close enough to use the two brands on the same person or for multiple people in the same scene. I'd stick with a brand for that.
    Because they do break down to 1/4 of their working size and the case is so small, too, it lets me just leave them in the truck 24/7. It's one (or two) less thing(s) to think about or have to make the decision, "Should I carry them or do I have room to carry those?". They're always in there, at least as back-ups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast