1. Collapse Details
    Best “budget friendly” Field Monitor Recorder that Bakes-In a LUT/Color Profile?
    Looking for a field monitor that has presets to bake in an image. If I’m understanding correctly, like a LUT automatically applied to the recording, or a way where I can play with the curve and record it. Do all ATOMOS monitors have REC LOOK?
    Last edited by demoboy; 11-26-2020 at 11:48 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Used? Also, depends on desired resolution and maximum framerate.

Could be $200 or so for the HD Video Assist or an older Atomos Flame, or a bit more for the 4K/60p versions.

You can load any available or custom-made LUTs (in the correct format) and preview and/or record them. (A symbol/warning usually flashes on the screen when it's being baked in.)

3. Collapse Details
    I own a couple of Atomos but I use them as monitors and backups, I don't record log but from what I understand of the Atomos only records what's fed to it. If you film in log you can set the Atomos to apply a lut but that only changes how it's displayed it gives you an idea what the video will look like after you color grade it, it's not baked in.
    Last edited by Peter C.; 11-27-2020 at 12:23 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    You have to engage the function to burn it in...been around since '14 with the first one.

(Obviously the monitor-only ones don't.)

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    I own a couple of Atomos but I use them as monitors and backups, I don't record log but from what I understand of the Atomos only records what's fed to it. If you film in log you can set the Atomos to apply a lut but that only changes how it's displayed it gives you an idea what the video will look like after you color grade it, it's not baked in.
    You're going to confuse people...it can be baked in if you choose it to.

This is one of a few features that made Atomos monitors famous.

Doesn't matter what's fed into it, you can record a LUT on top of a REC709 image if you wanted to (you wouldn't though as it would be crushed and over-saturated).

___

P.S. Yes, all of the 7" Atomos and new Blackmagic monitors/recorders that record via HDMI and/or SDI are capable of burning-in/baking-in LUTs.

I don't know how it works on the new Blackmagics but if they are like the Pocket 4K or 6K, it's just a menu "on/off" switch (both cameras also support recording LUTs into the image).
    Last edited by NorBro; 11-27-2020 at 12:57 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    You could use ANY recorder together with a LUT box placed in front of it. The new Blackmagic Mini Converter SDI to HDMI 6G is cheap.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...erter_sdi.html
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/nz/...miniconverters
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

7. Collapse Details
    BlackMagic Video Assist 12G HDR

8. Collapse Details
    Please note the dangers of baking in a LUT. We all understand it is irreversible, but importantly all of the recorders use a simplified 17x cube. Even if the original LUT file is a 33x or 65x, the recorder will truncate the adjustments to a 17x. This can lead to banding and other issues in the image. So it is NOT the same as adding the same LUT in post.
    Mitch Gross
    NYC

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    TV logic has full 1080x1920 5.5" monitors that are $400 with a free accessory right now. Good build quality, and one of the more accurate field monitors money can buy. Should give more accurate representation and be more durable than anything else in this price range.

TVlogic VFM-055A
    The LCD version, if you want a fighting chance in the sun (with a good sunhood, eh, it comes with one for free!)

and

TVlogic F-5A
    the more color critical OLED version, for previsualizing the end look.

SmallHD has the 720P focus monitors still going for $300, and they have the smallHD OS, with LUT management etc. slight more fragile build quality. And smallHD is always running sales throughout the year.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.