Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Good wide angle zooms for C100?
    I'm still happy with my C100 in late 2020, and I'm also quite happy with my Canon 15-85mm 3.5-5.6 lens. It has good image stabilization and a great zoom range, that's quite pleasing when I'm shooting much run & gun stuff.

The image quality could be slightly better, and this lens also have some visible vignetting (even with EF-S option turned on), so I wonder if there's other good alternatives I haven't heard of? Other suggestions for good wide angle zooms?

I have tried Tokina 11-16mm and Im impressed by the quality but it get's shaky when you zoom and it has not the optimal zoom range for lots of situations.
    I have also tried the Canon 10-22mm which is good in some situations but has too much fisheye-look to be useful in shots following people etc.

I want something like the lenses used in broadcast reality (but less expensive) when you have good wide angle but without fisheye/distortions.
    The optimal could be something from 12-14mm to around 70...but I have no clue......

What's your go-to and most usable zoom lens for your C100?

2. Collapse Details
    Maybe check out Sigma's 14-24mm or Tamron's 15-30mm G2.

You'll have to sacrifice a little on the wide end for a little more reach with the better pieces of glass.

There's also a slower Canon 15-85mm: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._5_5_6_IS.html (And a Tamron super-zoom 16-300mm.)

3. Collapse Details
    I have a Tokina 14-20mm F2.0 which is very good, indeed excellent. Love it. I have an old Canon 11-22mm F3.5-F4.5 which is very poor by comparison...but when you really need 11mm, it's better than nothing!

https://www.dxomark.com/tokina-at-x-...p-of-the-tree/
    Last edited by andykwilkinson; 11-26-2020 at 07:16 AM. Reason: The old Canon is a 11-22mm so corrected

4. Collapse Details
    The Tokina 14-20mm seems like an interesting choice, never heard of it actually. Thanks!
    Do you feel limited by the zoom range or does it work well in many situations?

5. Collapse Details
    It works really well. To be honest (although I still own a C100) the last few years I've used it on my FS5 (E-mount, via Metabones adapters). After I bought it, about a year later they released a 11-20mm version (but that is F2.8). Personally I'd rather have the wider aperture and I sense from your original post that you're not keen on the 11mm look anyway. Amongst my many lenses is a much used Canon 17-55mm F2.8 IS which only slightly overlaps the range of my Tokina 14-20mm.

The biggest thing if you do handheld a lot is the lack of IS on the Tokina. There are hardly any ultra wide angle lenses with IS that are good or fast.

BTW, welcome to the Forum!

6. Collapse Details
    Ruby?

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks alot! I'm considering the Sigma 12-24 f4 art lens that seem to have a good focal range,but I will definitely do more research on the Tokina 14-20 as well.

I do mostly unscripted and observational reality or documentary work, so I don't have time to change lenses often,in that case a good allround zoom like 17-55 could also be useful. I owned an 18-135 lens for some years and I liked it very much, but for some reason I've got more interested in these wide angle lenses.

We'll see what I end up with.
    Thanks anyway!

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by laverdir View Post
    Ruby?

Such a cheap lens! I'll have two of them!

Would be a dream to have one..... ;)

9. Collapse Details
    Were you planning to manually focus, or does the lens need AF? The Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 is a decent photography lens, but it has a very short focus throw, and I don't know how well its AF does in video.

10. Collapse Details
    What you really want is the canon 18-80, but it's not that cheap and not that wide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast