Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Thanks. That graphic makes me feel a lot better. In fact, if the blue stayed at its pre-smartphone level, I would feel worse, because that would mean that people are weeeeeird.

Maybe Canon and Nikon should get into the smartphone business Then again, LG is thinking of getting out of it.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Year's loss $446M. The boss is blaming a slow transition to mirrorless. I blame playing the second fiddle to Sony.

Rumors persist that Nikon may sell-off its photo-video division a la Olympus.
    Panasonic will go first I think. They’re looking to sell. Anyone else noticed the change with support for panny Cine cameras ?

I predict Sigma will buy. L mount simpatico.

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com
    I also have a blog

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    Thanks. That graphic makes me feel a lot better. In fact, if the blue stayed at its pre-smartphone level, I would feel worse, because that would mean that people are weeeeeird.
    P&S models paid for the R&D and the company corporate infrastructure. The mobile phone would have killed it sooner or later but, by holding the specs down and the prices up, the cartel made sure it was sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post

Maybe Canon and Nikon should get into the smartphone business Then again, LG is thinking of getting out of it.
    LG just introduced a mobile phone/tablet with a rollable screen that doesn't have the crease line of the Samsung and the Motorola foldables. Plus, 5G is at a nascent stage on the global level. Maybe it's the WSJ that's "losing to the Chinese".

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    Panasonic will go first I think. They’re looking to sell. Anyone else noticed the change with support for panny Cine cameras ?

I predict Sigma will buy. L mount simpatico.

JB
    The rumors had Panasonic rolling the photo-video into their consumer electronics division. They're also one of the last few remaining manufacturers that can make own sensors (or partner up with a third party not named Sony).

On the other hand, aside of all the lines they're currently into, they're getting deeper and deeper into the battery business. At some point, they'll be facing the same situation as Samsung - the photo-video industry is declining on the whole and ain't worth the trouble.

Which means it'll be a two party system. As many predict.

PS. On Canon Rumors, there was a post few weeks ago that referred to Canon slowing down the rate of new model introductions due to "circumstances" - Covid, the electric plant fire, declining market etc. They were supposed to release a bunch of RF cameras in 2021, including the APS-C, but now they may spread it out over a longer period. It's hard to tell if that's a legitimate rumor or a plant. There's certainly a financial opportunity to milk R5 and R6 for anything those are worth.

But this could also be bad news for consumers and that is, after a quick flare up in hostilities between Canon and Sony for R5 not being sufficiently crippled, the tensions will lessen and the cartel will return in full force as soon as Sony's 8K model comes out. That announcement should be shortly. We'll know more by the end of February at the (virtual) CP+.

PPS. There was a gentleman here, once connected to Panasonic.

4. Collapse Details
    Ahhh no, Panny sold their sensor business a while ago.

https://petapixel.com/2019/11/29/pan...aiwan-company/

The rumours I hear are for a sale.

And yes that’s what I was talking about re change in support.

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com
    I also have a blog

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    Ahhh no, Panny sold their sensor business a while ago....

JB
    That's because they completely went in with Sony, including the full frame.

And, btw, the Petapixel is wrong about the smartphone sensor market. Sony has 44%, Samsung 32%, OmniVision 9%. But there are a lot of smaller players too.

6. Collapse Details
    FWIW, Panasonic will be at the virtual CP+ at the end of February (supposedly, February will not be virtual).

Olympus will be there (in spirit) as well.

7. Collapse Details
    Confirmed: the sensor inside the Nikon Z7 camera is made by Sony
    https://nikonrumors.com/2021/01/24/c...#ixzz6krAvwjcW

Color me shocked.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    I thought Nikon has bought Sony sensors for all of their mirrorless and DSLRs for a long time? No?
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    And there are those of us who speculate that they only get offered old technology therefore.. holding them off the curve

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I thought Nikon has bought Sony sensors for all of their mirrorless and DSLRs for a long time? No?
    Some were Toshiba but Toshiba sold their division to ... someone.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    And there are those of us who speculate that they only get offered old technology therefore.. holding them off the curve
    Nikon buys the same sensors from Sony as everyone else but their versions are crippled differently than Panasonic's. They retain more phase detect points, while Panasonic contrast detect. To play ball, Sony cripples codecs, releasing high priced cameras with only 8-bit recording. Sony also tends to price their models somewhat above the market, with A7SIII being a grand more than A7SII.

PS. Canon crippled R5 and R6 with the fake heat management problems but then they decided to change course and now offer arguably the best buy in R5 for the high end hybrid. And that puts Nikon and Panasonic into a bind because their high end models S1R and Z7II offer only a line skipping 4K.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast