Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    My pupil likes her a7riii's and she likes small primes if she can use them (sony 55 1.8 for wxample). I think that the design seems to work well for feminine hands with narrower, tapered fingers. At least the larger grip they have now is more approachable than the sorry excuse they had before.

But on a gimbal, I'm not holding the camera. On a tripod, hand is on the panhandle and probably the lens barrel. For going handheld with it, you may be rigging a cage with a side handle and a top handle.

Similar goes for a regular video camera, no? It's got a top handle that screws in and a side handle mounted by rosette or whatever. How many of us are actually grabbing the box and not an attachment?

Sure, photo cameras are designed to be held bare by photographers, so it's tempting to do so. But other than lacking built-in mounts for handles, I dont think they're at a tremendous disadvantage.

The dinky buttons, on the other hand, are a let down for thick fingers. But I have ISO, aperture and white balance all dialed in to wheels that are easy to operate. So the nuisance of dinky buttons is relegated to secondary and tertiary functions.

I'm not saying that shooting video with a mirrorless camera is perfect, just that it's workable

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    I had this idea when I was in the shower this moring. Imagine if Nikon only did what they were good at the body and lens, then on the back of the camera you insert your phone into an adapter plate, that interfaces with the camera. You use the phone's great touch screen and interface to control the camera and view your images.
    I've been thinking about the reverse - an interface housing that you plug your phone into. The phone is still the camera, but you hook it into the middle a DSLR-esque skeleton and not you've got an ergonomic handgrip with shutter button, a flash sync port, hot shoe mount etc. Probably also a place to easily attach lenses. Moment and companies like that already do a simple case just for the lens attachment part

3. Collapse Details

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    I've been thinking about the reverse - an interface housing that you plug your phone into. The phone is still the camera, but you hook it into the middle a DSLR-esque skeleton and not you've got an ergonomic handgrip with shutter button, a flash sync port, hot shoe mount etc. Probably also a place to easily attach lenses. Moment and companies like that already do a simple case just for the lens attachment part
    They've been doing that for a while and it's a bit ridiculous trying to turn a phone into a professional camera by putting the phone into rig and attaching specialized lenses that screw into a special case. The phone's best features are it's small portable, easy to use, beautiful high res screen, touch screen interface, and the flexibility of using the best app to control the device. On the camera side you have a large sensor, professional lenses and body.

It depends on what you're trying to achieve. Even though I love my “shower” idea it would have a very limited audience. Most consumers are going to be happy using their phone as is and most pros will want a standard camera.
    Last edited by Peter C.; 11-26-2020 at 09:50 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    BTW, Photokina has been suspended and not just for 2021 but for infinite eternity. In other words, "Damen und Herren, auf Wiedersehen. Bis nie".

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    BTW, Photokina has been suspended and not just for 2021 but for infinite eternity. In other words, "Damen und Herren, auf Wiedersehen. Bis nie".
    I read that. Wow, a 70 year old trade show is no more. Sad really.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Man that's massive. I've been to it twice. It was enormous, on a NAB, IBC scale. It wasn't just stills gear. All the big video manufactures, Pana, Sony, JVC, Ikegami, Hitachi, Fujnon, Canon et all were there. To see it go is really a sign of the times... sadly.

Chris Young

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Zeitgeist.

9. Collapse Details
    Photokina was well on its way out before the pandemic. It was struggling before that, trying to revamp itself in 2017. Major manufacturers were no longer exhibiting. From Petapixel:

""In 2018, Photokina announced that the 2019 edition would be canceled to give companies the time to “further develop the new concept for photokina." In 2019 [pre-pandemic], major brands including Nikon, Leica, Olympus, and Fujifilm announced they would not be attending Photokina 2020""

10. Collapse Details
    Was it the internet that made trade shows less popular?

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast