Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The A7S of Vacuums

2. Collapse Details
    Oh man, reading some reviews and info on that $700 500W adorama cob - https://www.adorama.com/clilmax500sl...urce=adl-gbase

It seems like it's actually really well-designed and built!

I want one so bad...just not sure I really NEED it as I'm basically keying interviews fine with my 330w..... maybe next year?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Oh man, reading some reviews and info on that $700 500W adorama cob - https://www.adorama.com/clilmax500sl...urce=adl-gbase

It seems like it's actually really well-designed and built!

I want one so bad...just not sure I really NEED it as I'm basically keying interviews fine with my 330w..... maybe next year?
    ....But don't you want that Aputure full rotation feature? Looks like the light can't tilt in any direction without putting it on an articulating baby pin or arm. (I'M KIDDING, but also it I true)

EDIT, ok, all these comments have me looking too. So I just red the reviews again, but more thoroughly.

- One reviewer of the 300w says the brightness is closer to the Aputre 120D ( I assume the mk2, though they didn't list)
    - some fan noise from the ballast. though, they advertise it as "silence is the goal" so I cannot imagine the noise to be excessive, but could be annoying to some
    - there are no 500w reviews, although after this weekend I am sure we'll see those flood in.
    - no smart phone app - but does come with a wireless remote.
    - not as many tilt angle options (as I initially mentioned as a joke above)
    - no 500 reviews about fan noise. The 500 looks to be in the same housing and using the same cooling system as the 120 and 300 versions, does that effect the fan noise on the head?

But at 30% off already good prices, that is the dollar per watt value I am looking at for additional lighting. Something I won't use all the time, but is there to do some utilitarian lifting to supplement the main lighting setup.
    Last edited by James0b57; 11-29-2020 at 10:39 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    That light should come with a complimentary pair of sunglasses

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    ....But don't you want that Aputure full rotation feature? Looks like the light can't tilt in any direction without putting it on an articulating baby pin or arm. (I'M KIDDING, but also it I true)
    like you said - workarounds

I'm in a similar position to puredrifting re: G&L kit fees. usually a flat rate, so buying this light would probably not add to my kit fee. so it's a question of if it improves the product enough to merit it. and 95% of the time, the available angle rotation it offers will be fine for what I'm lighting (mostly interviews)

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Yeah, I think the dimmer thing is the biggest PITA of the power PITA. You have to have the light pigtail, a dimmer and a regular extension/power cord for each light. If each tube had a built-in dimmer and you then only had to plug it in to a power cord, it would be so much better.
    Plus to add insult to injury, Quasars don't always play nice with dimmers, even dimmers designed for LED. They can flicker and make noise, and the fade is not always smooth, finding the right level can be finicky. But they pack small, are cheap, good CRI, and bi-color, so they stick around.

This isn't my work, but I know that the top light is a quasar cross fade. (lights on the floor were kino, and the lamps had standard LED practicals, so colors were all over)

Attachment 141496

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    like you said - workarounds

I'm in a similar position to puredrifting re: G&L kit fees. usually a flat rate, so buying this light would probably not add to my kit fee. so it's a question of if it improves the product enough to merit it. and 95% of the time, the available angle rotation it offers will be fine for what I'm lighting (mostly interviews)
    That's right! Making "DP" stand for defeating problems!

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I pay $11.99 per month for Hulu without commercials, I would pay double that for no commercials if I had to.
    I hear that. My wife and I pay for YouTube Premium to avoid commercials, but we use YouTube so much that the payoff is enormous. In this case, I'm going from life without Hulu to meh, why not, it's $2

9. Collapse Details
    +1 for Youtube Premium, which includes Youtube Music

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    +1 for Youtube Premium, which includes Youtube Music
    Can you easily play music from YouTube Premium on an Alexa Echo?

Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast