Page 33 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    I feel like the FX6 is the one to get from that list...of course, it depends on your specific needs.
    I agree. The fx6 is very tempting and easier to swallow price. But I sure would like shoulder mount capability. But so far my clients are happy with what I have so I'm going to wait

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    Or a sugar momma? ;-)
    Haha. Having a sugar momma would sure take the pressure off running a media business. That could certainly make things easier, or much harder. One of the worst things you can do is unequally yoke and have the life of misery and destruction that ensues.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    I agree. The fx6 is very tempting and easier to swallow price. But I sure would like shoulder mount capability. But so far my clients are happy with what I have so I'm going to wait
    That’s not really one of those “client pleasing” aspects of a camera. It’s “operator pleasing”, which I feel is vastly overlooked these days. One only has to look at some of the God-awful rig jobs on some cameras to make them useable to see what I mean.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    That’s not really one of those “client pleasing” aspects of a camera. It’s “operator pleasing”, which I feel is vastly overlooked these days. One only has to look at some of the God-awful rig jobs on some cameras to make them useable to see what I mean.
    Agreed. Ease of use is something I do value and I miss having shoulder mount cameras. The closest thing I have now is a Sony EA50 which is semi shoulder mount, but still worlds better than something like FS700R when it comes to run and gun. I would love an A7Riii / A7Sii/iii in an FS7 form factor, which I think is the idea behind FX9 but $11,000 is steep for me right now and I don't really need it so I'll wait. Something like FX6 with handle like FS7/FX9 would probably be better

5. Collapse Details
    I'm not sure I quite understand these (can't shoulder mount it) arguments. Just put the camera (like you would with any other) on one of these:

And you should be able to balance it perfectly on the shoulder. I used my shoulder rig with everything from 25kg of Arri Alexa Studio, down to a tiny little Fuji X-T3, and it's worked just fine with all of them. I wouldn't expect the FX6 to be any different.

6. Collapse Details
    The ones that accept counterweights in the back are best. (And/or with built-in battery plates.)

7. Collapse Details
    Thank you. Sorry I should have said design, not capability. Anyway your workaround rig accomplishes it regardless

8. Collapse Details
    Thank you. Sorry I should have said design, not capability. Anyway your workaround rig accomplishes it regardless
    Well, it's not REALLY a workaround. Sure, there are ENG-oriented cameras with built-in shoulder mount. But like Grug said - everything in cinema-world gets rigged to a shoulder mount. When I was an AC, there were always tinker toys to do so on every set.

It's true that I can throw my naked FS7 on my shoulder and the shoulder pad, handle and viewfinder are already all there ready to go. That's nice, especially for fast deployment. But I dont know if I'd call rigging a shoulder mount to another camera a workaround.

Ok - I admit - it's nice to have the FS7 the way it is. But if I had to choose between that form factor and something more versatile and smaller like the FX6, I think i would go with FX6 (especially with the viewfinder situation of the fs7).

But truth be told, I spend most of my time on tripod/gimbal, so I may just have different priorities than you do

9. Collapse Details
    In the older days, you know, like 2015, it was "shoulder first, sticks second" approach. Or vice versa. Now, with the miniaturization of electronics in general and cameras in particular, it's sticks/gimbal/shoulder or gimbal/sticks/shoulder.

And, if this trend continues, it will be selfie sticks/gimbal/drone/shoulder. Or something like that.

10. Collapse Details
    Still a lot of shoulder-first in Hollywood...and gimbals for YouTube.

Page 33 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast