Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jbregar View Post
    My only complaint with the 500W is it doesn't get as dim as I'd like and the control box feels a little plasticky. I'd also love it if the 350W had the single-knob brake.
    When you say it doesn't get as dim as you'd like, exactly HOW dim are you trying to go? If I'm using a light like that, I probably need POWER. I look at these 500 watt plus LED's(like the Aputure 600d I have on order) as HMI replacements/supplements or something you can push through a large frame or maybe a book light. And most dimmable HMI's dim maybe a stop. So my train of thought goes, if you can't dim that 500 down enough, you should probably be using a lower wattage light to begin with.

Of course, a lot of people are probably used to being able to dim LED's from 100% to 0%, so instead of buying various wattage instruments, like we used to, they'll just buy all "big one's" presuming that they can use them as "big" or "small lights".

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    It tilts like this /

but not like this |
    I guess better than this S

Or maybe not... Lol

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jbregar View Post
    I have the 350W and the 500W CLAR IllumiMax lights. They replaced two Aputure 120D II lights. AMA.
    Glad to hear about the low fan noise. How's the brake on the 500? Does it sag under the weight of large modifiers? Does the 350W dim down a lot more than the 500w? How's the remote control?

Strongly considering picking up a 500w and a 180w (or two 300w lights from Godox).

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Of course, a lot of people are probably used to being able to dim LED's from 100% to 0%, so instead of buying various wattage instruments, like we used to, they'll just buy all "big one's" presuming that they can use them as "big" or "small lights".
    Well, there's no technical reason LEDs can't be used that way, and it would save money, time and space. So why not insist on having instruments that dim smoothly down to 0%?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    Glad to hear about the low fan noise. How's the brake on the 500? Does it sag under the weight of large modifiers? Does the 350W dim down a lot more than the 500w? How's the remote control?

Strongly considering picking up a 500w and a 180w (or two 300w lights from Godox).
    Personally, I'd get the 500 and 180 for more power and versatility.

I agree with run&gun about caring more about output than minimum dimming. Of course, more capabilities are always a good thing (all else being equal) and I've swapped out fill lights numerous times in favor of smaller units after dimming them down all the way and still being too bright. But I own about 15 sub-100w LEDs and what I could really use is a more powerful key.

Btw for anyone who doesn't know the aputure design and full-tilt range James has been referring to - the rear end of the CLAR sticks out too far to rotate through the yoke, unlike the aputure which can do this:

12-1000x1000.jpg

6. Collapse Details
    BTW my Peak design 5L sling came in - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BI%3A514&smp=y

I'm so happy with it and so glad I didnt get something bigger... perfectly sized compartment for my sigma 24-70 with focus gear and samyang 85 with lens hood + a filter pouch and lens blower. Convenient little pockets for batteries, cards, lens tissues

And it straps right against my back pretty comfortably. No change to my balance, no effect on range of arm movement.

It's rare to find exactly what you needed...

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    When you say it doesn't get as dim as you'd like, exactly HOW dim are you trying to go? If I'm using a light like that, I probably need POWER. I look at these 500 watt plus LED's(like the Aputure 600d I have on order) as HMI replacements/supplements or something you can push through a large frame or maybe a book light. And most dimmable HMI's dim maybe a stop. So my train of thought goes, if you can't dim that 500 down enough, you should probably be using a lower wattage light to begin with.

Yeah. Like I said initially, that’s why I have lower wattage lights... and why if I add another one it’ll likely be another 350.

It gets pretty dim, honestly... just not “accent light” dim.
    JERBCO, Ltd.
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post

I’ve put a big soft box on the 500 and it didn’t slip. The yoke holds fast.

The 350 gets as dim as I’d want it to honestly. Anything dimmer and I’ll use the S30s.

The remotes are ok. Bulkier than the Aputure remote and not as nicely designed, but they work. I like that they use AAAs.

I’d do a 500 and a 180 vs two 300s. The 500 is so nice for balancing daylight or throwing out a lot of soft light in a book light setup or the like.

My ideal kit would probably be one more 350W and what I have. That gives me a 500, two 350s, two S30s, two flexi panels (12x24 and 24x24) and a tube light (ice light style). I can do about all I’d ever want to with that.

The reason I jumped on the CLAR gear was moar power. The 500 definitely gives me that.
    Last edited by jbregar; 11-29-2020 at 10:22 PM.
    JERBCO, Ltd.
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    B&H continues to unload monitors (DZ)...there's a 2 monitor pack in there for 44% off.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/dealZone.jsp

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    BTW my Peak design 5L sling came in - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BI%3A514&smp=y

I'm so happy with it and so glad I didnt get something bigger... perfectly sized compartment for my sigma 24-70 with focus gear and samyang 85 with lens hood + a filter pouch and lens blower. Convenient little pockets for batteries, cards, lens tissues

And it straps right against my back pretty comfortably. No change to my balance, no effect on range of arm movement.

It's rare to find exactly what you needed...
    Congrats! Always cool when it is something you actually need and a great deal!

As a collective group we are doing pretty frugal this year. What is our total for the weekend, just the $55 bag right?

Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast