Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Around this time of the year, I usually catch Planes, Trains and Automobiles about 3-4 times on TV.

I know it was '87, but I love those simple movies with a nice story.
    “You’re going the wrong way!” “How do they know where we’re going?” Hahahahahaha... When John Candy turns into the devil I laughed so hard I cried. Probably the best scene in the movie. Even funnier than the iconic “Those aren’t pillows!” exchange.

2. Collapse Details
    Missed this...

ha...a lot of people who have played sports very much relate to that guy. I know it was written into it for that reason and other famous movies...but it's true (and painful).

And it is in a way also related to the nostalgia and longing for previous times in your life.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    “You’re going the wrong way!” “How do they know where we’re going?” Hahahahahaha... When John Candy turns into the devil I laughed so hard I cried. Probably the best scene in the movie. Even funnier than the iconic “Those aren’t pillows!” exchange.
    JC is just the best in that movie. I like him more every year.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    90s will forever be the best decade ever.
    You must have been born in the mid 80s.

5. Collapse Details
    $130 down from $280 for the 5-frame impact portaframe scrim kit at b&h: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...scrim_kit.html

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    $130 down from $280 for the 5-frame impact portaframe scrim kit at b&h: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...scrim_kit.html
    That is really tempting

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    That is really tempting
    yeah it finally pushed me over the edge on these. but now i need more grip heads... and ideally arms

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by combatentropy View Post
    You must have been born in the mid 80s.
    Exactly right in the middle.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    yeah it finally pushed me over the edge on these. but now i need more grip heads... and ideally arms
    Impact? Oof, that's some disposable gear. Really cheap but you get what you pay for.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    The 1980's were big on the two piece front projectors, large tube TV's, rear projector TV, satellite dishes, full size VHS cameras, surround sound receivers/systems, laser players, and, most of all, VCR's due to the sheer volume involved. Toward the end of the decade, the VCR's became much thinner in terms of margins, as Super-VHS never took off, since the movie studios never really released any titles on it. But camcorders became more popular, as both prices and sizes decreased.

Back in the 1970's and 80's, there were also a lot of privately owned consumer electronic chains in LA, which paid a reasonably high commission rate. By the late 1980's/early 1990's, Circuit City pretty much wiped all the smaller chains out. Additionally, CC began to pay less and less, choosing instead to staff its floors with clerks rather than salespeople and investing more into advertising which insured a higher customer traffic. Some high end chains survived CC but, much like CC, were driven out by the Best Buy and the internet.

As to pay, I was told by my manager who had previously worked for a chain called Federated that a decent salesperson could easily make $30,000 there in the mid-80's, while the top over $60,000. Multiply that by 2.5/3 for the 2020 pay equivalent. It was a fun way to make a living.
    When I was a video sales manager at CC in the late 80s into the early 90s, my top video guys were busting $100k per year in commisions. Definitely volume, volume, volume.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast