Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    BTW, 10% is a little overzealous on my part. More like 5%, realistically...for starters.

Getting $300 off on a $6000 camera (with $500+ tax) is very realistic.

Maybe not on launch day, but definitely probable in the near future...just not from someone who doesn't need your business.

2. Collapse Details
    When I was working a semi-high-end retail in LA, we were given a bit of ass-chewing if we discounted an in-demand item. On some really hot pieces, we even hiked the price up to the suggested retail.
    Last edited by DLD; 11-27-2020 at 09:05 PM. Reason: given, not giving

3. Collapse Details
    1980s, 1990s were probably the golden years...could sell a particular camera, computer, stereo system - and be served a fat commission check for Thanksgiving.

4. Collapse Details
    10 years ago, the folks at Abel Cine Tech told me they have really low margins on lenses (and maybe also cameras?) but that accessories have more wiggle room. of course, that was what the salesmen were telling me... but they were willing to work with me on a lot of things

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    So then why would you want a more expensive MBP and not one of the available M1s if you can currently get by with a computer you've had for 10 years for only downloading media and doing laptop things on sets?
    Well possibly it might be handy to have a laptop that can edit again. I don't like editing on a laptop but I am traveling more so that might come in handy.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

6. Collapse Details
    1980s, 1990s were probably the golden years...could sell a particular camera, computer, stereo system - and be served a fat commission check for Thanksgiving.
    The 1980's were big on the two piece front projectors, large tube TV's, rear projector TV, satellite dishes, full size VHS cameras, surround sound receivers/systems, laser players, and, most of all, VCR's due to the sheer volume involved. Toward the end of the decade, the VCR's became much thinner in terms of margins, as Super-VHS never took off, since the movie studios never really released any titles on it. But camcorders became more popular, as both prices and sizes decreased.

Back in the 1970's and 80's, there were also a lot of privately owned consumer electronic chains in LA, which paid a reasonably high commission rate. By the late 1980's/early 1990's, Circuit City pretty much wiped all the smaller chains out. Additionally, CC began to pay less and less, choosing instead to staff its floors with clerks rather than salespeople and investing more into advertising which insured a higher customer traffic. Some high end chains survived CC but, much like CC, were driven out by the Best Buy and the internet.

As to pay, I was told by my manager who had previously worked for a chain called Federated that a decent salesperson could easily make $30,000 there in the mid-80's, while the top over $60,000. Multiply that by 2.5/3 for the 2020 pay equivalent. It was a fun way to make a living.

7. Collapse Details
    I love those simple times. And that digital transition in the world.

90s will forever be the best decade ever.

8. Collapse Details
    I love those simple times. And that digital transition in the world.

90s will forever be the best decade ever.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zzw...hannel=Bradley

9. Collapse Details
    I watch a lot of this 90s stuff on YouTube...really worth a watch (especially for you DLD).

Pretty amusing, and nostalgic if you like video games.

10. Collapse Details
    ha...not from B&H, not on the FX6.

Most they'd do if anything is anywhere between 0%-1% on launch day if you chat them. (They offered me a $20 discount before on some lens over $1K, I think a random Milvus.)

Wait a month and might change...but the idea is to communicate with smaller businesses.
    BTW, 10% is a little overzealous on my part. More like 5%, realistically...for starters.

Getting $300 off on a $6000 camera (with $500+ tax) is very realistic.

Maybe not on launch day, but definitely probable in the near future...just not from someone who doesn't need your business.
    It's been hit or miss with B&H over the years. I remember calling B&H many years ago and asked what kind of deal they could give me and a friend on a certain model Betacam(okay, many, many years ago) buying two at the same time(one each). They offered $500 off each on ~$25K+ cameras. I ended up buying from another dealer and my friend actually found a b-stock for even less than what I got mine for.

More recently, I reached out to them to ask if they'd match the discount price that the manufacturer was offering on an item and they did(sent me a special code to enter when I placed the item in my cart). Then a few months ago I reached out to see if they would match the price from the manufacturer on an accessory piece I wanted and they would not. Some things are probably sold at or near cost anyway and are just stocked as a convenience for customers buying the more expensive and profitable items.

Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast