Page 25 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jbregar View Post
    I’ve put a big soft box on the 500 and it didn’t slip. The yoke holds fast.

The 350 gets as dim as I’d want it to honestly. Anything dimmer and I’ll use the S30s.

The remotes are ok. Bulkier than the Aputure remote and not as nicely designed, but they work. I like that they use AAAs.

I’d do a 500 and a 180 vs two 300s. The 500 is so nice for balancing daylight or throwing out a lot of soft light in a book light setup or the like.

My ideal kit would probably be one more 350W and what I have. That gives me a 500, two 350s, two S30s, two flexi panels (12x24 and 24x24) and a tube light (ice light style). I can do about all I’d ever want to with that.

The reason I jumped on the CLAR gear was moar power. The 500 definitely gives me that.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on these. They sound like a great value for the price point. I keep looking for the "gotcha" but haven't been able to find anything -- they sound remarkably solid. It's amazing how far this tech has come in just a few short years.

2. Collapse Details
    Any recommended V-mouny battery sales for those VL300 or 500watt lights?

3. Collapse Details
    Nanlite Forza series is on sale at Adorama. Just grabbed 2 Forza 500s - POWER!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Congrats! Always cool when it is something you actually need and a great deal!

As a collective group we are doing pretty frugal this year. What is our total for the weekend, just the $55 bag right?
    In all honesty, I would rather have bought the black Sling. But the Sage version was on sale for less. Probably because everyone wanted black. The sage looks nice. It's just not black.

I also got a used tamron 70-180 for $700 from lensauthority. 2 more off-brand A7SIII batteries on amazon ($40). Impact portascrim kit ($130). And I'm gonna get some "barefoot" shoes for gimbal for $80.

Earlier this week/last week and outside film gear, i bought a blender, vaccuum, couch, 65-inch Hisense (never heard of them) 4K android TV ($250), children's clothes, diaper bag, and a hoodie.

I think it's the best time of year to buy stuff, if you can afford to wait for it

The CLAR 500 is calling to me but I think I will resist... I don't always max out my 330w... they'll have it on sale again next year... come on, abe, stay on target...

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by soarprod View Post
    Nanlite Forza series is on sale at Adorama. Just grabbed 2 Forza 500s - POWER!
    CRAZY! Haha! That should do it!

Hit me up in the DM's if you want to swap ideas and use cases with those. Man, it's like a bought a 15" subwoofer, and then you got double subs.

I have to resist the urge to get the Forza 200 and the Forza 60B. Those are the ones I want to compliment the 500w, because the 60B is tiny and bicolor, and the Forza 200 can run on a single V mount and still punch between a Aputure 120DII and 300dII in ouptut.

Those Forza 60 and 60B lights are so small, I can put them in any case or bag and the're just there. Sometimes I even leave the AC power supply at home, and just pack a DC to P-Tap cable, so if I need it I just grab an unused brick and flick it on. At lower powers it can run for a couple hours on battery. I have a 60, but it would be so nice to not have to gel them for a basic temp change. Would make them even more versatile. Though, I am assuming the bi-colour units don't have the same output per watt. Might not matter.

And I wonder if this will fit on my quasar tubes? It's that egg crate sleeve for tube T12 tube lights. I think the Chimera version is like $200. This one is $70
    https://www.adorama.com/nnbdpt15cec.html

6. Collapse Details
    . I have a 60, but it would be so nice to not have to gel them for a basic temp change. Would make them even more versatile. Though, I am assuming the bi-colour units don't have the same output per watt. Might not matter.
    Well, it should be a similar output per watt, but less watts in use, right? only at max power when all the LEDs are on, so at 4400k or whatever the average color temp is. But at 3200 or 5600 you are only using half. So yes, a 60 only gives you 30 of what a non-bicolor would give you right?

But my feeling is that if you're not putting out daylight, then probably you're not competing with the sun. So maybe a weaker light will suffice?
    Last edited by ahalpert; 11-30-2020 at 12:34 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Congrats! Always cool when it is something you actually need and a great deal!

As a collective group we are doing pretty frugal this year. What is our total for the weekend, just the $55 bag right?
    Yeah, right...

Let's see, what have I ordered in the last week...

Ordered several pair of pants from Duluth (-20%, I think).

Tilta Nucleus-M remote follow focus (-10%).

Aputure 600d (possible early adopter tax).

Dyson V11 Cordless Vac (-$100).

Funny enough(or is it), the vacuum is more expensive than the follow focus. And will probably get used WAY more, as well.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    BTW my Peak design 5L sling came in
    It's rare to find exactly what you needed...
    Isn't that so true, Abe? And sometimes it's the small accessories that can give you that just-right feeling...

I'm not sure the sling fits my needs, but I'm definitely considering it.

9. Collapse Details
    My purchases total one refurb Roomba...

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
    Any recommended V-mouny battery sales for those VL300 or 500watt lights?
    Typically the higher amp rating batteries are better for the 300+ watt lights.

And depends on how fission critical you need the batteries to be.

So many new v-mount brands out, as well.

IDX is reputable and affordable. good middle of the road. but plenty of brands have popped up.

This IDX can handle a up to a 14a load:
    https://www.adorama.com/idxcued300.html

Though, if your ballast can take multiple batteries at once, I suppose they don't have to be was beefy.

And these are not particularly cheap by today's standards, but if you are not sure what kind of system you want to build, these allow you to go to any standard mount and flip between 14v and 26v. They also make flight safe block batteries, with removable cells. pretty cool company.
    https://blockbattery.com/block-batteries/

But if you aren't worried about mission critical sort of operation from the batteries, take a stab at some of the lesser known brands. Swit may off deals if you call them, but they list the same as all the Western brands, though actually lower once you look at the price to features.
    This one is ~200wh with a whopping 15amp constant draw, which is kind of rare:
    https://www.adorama.com/swts8183s.ht...urce=adl-gbase

Some of the cheaper brands start failing, but Shape is making one that looks cheap and high powered.
    They are under high capacity and allow for 12amp draw:
    270wh
    https://www.adorama.com/shv270ts.htm...urce=adl-gbase
    135wh
    https://www.adorama.com/shv135ts.htm...urce=adl-gbase

SWX Core whatever has a lot of affordable options. I am not as certain about their sustain power performance, but they seem popular amongst the Reduser crowd. But anytime I have looked at them, they have 8-10amp max, and maybe they have other options, but I need the 12amp for my shoots with monitors and motors and wireless all sometimes coming off one gold mount. So, I don't know much about the brand. Seems a lot of people are migrating to the Bebob minies in the medium budget camera world. I love Bebob, but their high power stuff rivals Anton Bauer in price, so I just stick with ole friend Anton.

A wild card brand, that I have begun to see pop up is FX lion (lithium Ion, I assume?).
    They are the lowest cost on my list here, I believe.
    https://www.adorama.com/fxlnanoone.h...urce=adl-gbase
    Last edited by James0b57; 11-30-2020 at 01:20 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 25 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast