Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    That's been my experience as well...and it's sometimes clear too like when I linked to the $3000 computer monitor being sold for $600 a few days ago.

Some stuff can go, some can't.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    10 years ago, the folks at Abel Cine Tech told me they have really low margins on lenses (and maybe also cameras?) but that accessories have more wiggle room. of course, that was what the salesmen were telling me... but they were willing to work with me on a lot of things
    Abel has a "sliding" discount depending on specific items(some items have more margin than others) and also depends on the how "good" the customer is. For example, when I bought a certain item a year or two ago, I received a really good discount, even though it was a brand new, in-demand item. One of my friends bought the same item a few weeks later, but didn't receive the same discount that I did.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I love those simple times. And that digital transition in the world.

90s will forever be the best decade ever.
    The 90s rocked. Nirvana, Goodfellas, The Simpsons (when it was good)... Ah, the 90s...

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    The 1980's were big on the two piece front projectors, large tube TV's, rear projector TV, satellite dishes, full size VHS cameras, surround sound receivers/systems, laser players, and, most of all, VCR's due to the sheer volume involved. Toward the end of the decade, the VCR's became much thinner in terms of margins, as Super-VHS never took off, since the movie studios never really released any titles on it. But camcorders became more popular, as both prices and sizes decreased.

Back in the 1970's and 80's, there were also a lot of privately owned consumer electronic chains in LA, which paid a reasonably high commission rate. By the late 1980's/early 1990's, Circuit City pretty much wiped all the smaller chains out. Additionally, CC began to pay less and less, choosing instead to staff its floors with clerks rather than salespeople and investing more into advertising which insured a higher customer traffic. Some high end chains survived CC but, much like CC, were driven out by the Best Buy and the internet.

As to pay, I was told by my manager who had previously worked for a chain called Federated that a decent salesperson could easily make $30,000 there in the mid-80's, while the top over $60,000. Multiply that by 2.5/3 for the 2020 pay equivalent. It was a fun way to make a living.
    I've mentioned many times that my family owns a retail store that was VERY successful for many decades, especially considering that it was only one location. The bread & butter was appliances followed by TV's and VCR's. When Circuit City came to town in the 80's everyone thought they were going to run us out of business. I think everyone can figure out how the story ends.

5. Collapse Details
    And yes, the 90's were incredible, for many, many reasons. In just a span of two years in the 90's I graduated high school, started college and started my business. I'm not sure if I could lay my hands on my diploma or degree right this minute, but I know exactly where my first Betacam is sitting.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    I've mentioned many times that my family owns a retail store that was VERY successful for many decades, especially considering that it was only one location. The bread & butter was appliances followed by TV's and VCR's. When Circuit City came to town in the 80's everyone thought they were going to run us out of business. I think everyone can figure out how the story ends.
    Appliances are thin margins, with considerable back end. A lot like cars. It's very difficult even for big chains to give upfront discounts on appliances. Then there's delivery, where one must have quality personnel.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I watch a lot of this 90s stuff on YouTube...really worth a watch (especially for you DLD).
    1987, my first retail job. Working a video rental section in Milwaukee, with an eye toward a promotion to an actual sales job. One nice lady with a young kid, much like the one 3 minutes in, walks in one morning.

----------------------------------

"So, you know, we have Beta and there are fewer and fewer titles available, so last night I just grabbed a tape off the shelf".

"OK, and is there anything wrong with it?"

"You see, I thought I rented "Meatballs" with Harold Ramis. Instead, the tape turned out to be "Meatball" with Harry Reems".

--------------------------

True story.
    --------------------------

8. Collapse Details
    the '90s was also the most recent peak of Hollywood, as far as I'm concerned. big sets, big casts, they did things right. before the dark times. before the napster

9. Collapse Details
    Around this time of the year, I usually catch Planes, Trains and Automobiles about 3-4 times on TV.

I know it was '87, but I love those simple movies with a nice story.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Appliances are thin margins, with considerable back end. A lot like cars. It's very difficult even for big chains to give upfront discounts on appliances. Then there's delivery, where one must have quality personnel.
    If I remember correctly, we ran 10% mark-up and spanked the chains. And I spent some Jr. High, all of my high school and some early college years delivering those appliances and TV’s and lawnmowers and air-conditioners and... We would regularly return to the store to load-up for more deliveries or sometimes just at the end of the day and be told that a customer had called to compliment us on the delivery and service. I’ve always cared and taken pride in whatever job I was doing. And of course, much like my work today, I had a vested interest back then, as well. Also, at one point, two of my best friends and another friend worked there with me.
    Last edited by Run&Gun; 11-27-2020 at 11:38 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast