Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Firewire PCI card 16 euro, 20 dollar.
    Open computer case from any PC, put firewire card in. Start copying.

https://www.amazon.com/LinksTek-Fire...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

2. Collapse Details
    Firewire cards are now a problem on Windows 10 ... just had to pull mine out of the PC as it was stuffing up the update ... in all honesty, if I were doing this today I'd find someone who does transfers as a service and get them to do it for you ...

3. Collapse Details
    Google is my friend when the computer doesn't work: https://www.studio1productions.com/A...Firewire-1.htm

This guy has another solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1B0msn9xcI

4. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Five years ago I bought a couple of DSR-1800's for this purpose on eBay for less than $200 each with the optional SDI boards installed (which were still available as new parts, for $1300 each!). These were the full size broadcast DVCAM decks that sold for $12K in their day. What's interesting is that the smaller prosumer DVCAM decks like the DSR11's have maintained more value, perhaps because of their convenient size and desktop popularity, but the 1800 and the player-only 1600 models were significantly more full featured. The key is the SDI board--this lets you use any SDI compatible input device like the Blackmagic Intensity Recorder for a simple connection into the computer, without having to do the D to A to D conversions described in threads above and thus losing image quality. As a bonus this will also let you connect any other legacy analog gear to the recorder as it functions as a composite to digital converter (SD to SD-SDI). I am now using it as the main interface to my system for any of the legacy gear like VHS decks (still in the years-long process of copying over old tapes...sigh).

Looking at eBay, I still see these going for roughly the same price today. Worth looking into. These are as rugged and high-end as it gets, so will surely outlast a legacy DV camcorder as a feeder source (and gentler on the tapes as well, which is an important consideration as these tapes age).
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

5. Collapse Details
    Those DSR-1800's are inexpensive enough now, I could get 2 and return to 2-deck editing!
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

6. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbob View Post
    Those DSR-1800's are inexpensive enough now, I could get 2 and return to 2-deck editing!
    Haha! wouldn't THAT be fun. Just thinking about going back to tape-to-tape at this point would be insane. There were good lessons to be learned from it (making more thoughtful choices etc). To this day I still surprise editors that I work with how precise I can be when I ask them to cut 7 frames off a clip, but that came with the territory back then.
    Charles Papert
    charlespapert.com

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbob View Post
    Ha! Yeah right! I certainly don't miss the days of "insert" or "assembly" editing. But that does make me remember an old friend from my TV station days... whose jobs it was to "black" the 3/4" tapes - so that the editors (us camera ops) could cut together the b-roll shots after the reporter had "A-rolled" the story.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPapert View Post
    There were good lessons to be learned from it (making more thoughtful choices etc). To this day I still surprise editors that I work with how precise I can be when I ask them to cut 7 frames off a clip, but that came with the territory back then.
    Totally agree with this. I learned more about "telling a story" visually - from having to go out & shoot and then edit my crappy footage from deck to deck without any of those fancy transitions at immediate disposal - usually under about a 2 hour deadline - if I was lucky (often less). Also really helped teach me pacing & cutting to music, voice, etc.
    Ok. Enough from this "old-timer".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123