Thread: A74

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Sony Alpha Rumors relays a bit from Nokis/hita that Sony registered a new ILC. He thinks it'll be an R5 challenger, something with A9 in the name. If so, A7IV may be delayed a bit.

Or it could be A7IV. But probably not.
    Thinking they might make an A9R variant?

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by James0b57 View Post
    Thinking they might make an A9R variant?
    Sony has to. They can't just yield to Canon on the 8K exclusivity in the "enthusiast" sector. If the rumors are correct - big body, 50 MPX for stills, 8K, no overheating (fake or otherwise).

Now, that will do to FX-6 is another story. The FX line comes from the pro division but the big money is, obviously, in the consumer sector. So, much like with Canon, the performance can be far superior to both FX-6 and FX-9.

Canon is supposed to respond with C-50 (low end) and C-90 (higher end) to round off their C-XX lineup. That would give them three different models at/under $10,000. Sony then could/should issue FX-9II with 6K external Raw without the interface and a high bit rate internal H265.

PS. FX-6 seems to have a lot of quirks. Some might be subject to firmware upgrades; some to the individual workarounds, some to permanence. Until FX-6II.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Sony has to. They can't just yield to Canon on the 8K exclusivity in the "enthusiast" sector. If the rumors are correct - big body, 50 MPX for stills, 8K, no overheating (fake or otherwise).

Now, that will do to FX-6 is another story. The FX line comes from the pro division but the big money is, obviously, in the consumer sector. So, much like with Canon, the performance can be far superior to both FX-6 and FX-9.

Canon is supposed to respond with C-50 (low end) and C-90 (higher end) to round off their C-XX lineup. That would give them three different models at/under $10,000. Sony then could/should issue FX-9II with 6K external Raw without the interface and a high bit rate internal H265.

PS. FX-6 seems to have a lot of quirks. Some might be subject to firmware upgrades; some to the individual workarounds, some to permanence. Until FX-6II.
    The FX series has BNC and internal ND, so they are fine. They just literally "F"d up by ignoring the EVF situation. Other than that, the disparity between bodies is a big enough reason to go for the FX over A series cameras in the professional video world, and for everyone else? Well, they were already just going to get the A series anyways.

4. Collapse Details
    My take is that, unless there are comparable and comparably priced pro cameras, there'll be a lot of Frankenrigs similar to those in the 5D MKII/GH-3 era. The allure of the 8K will be too enticing for a lot of narrative filmmakers, who are not under time or shooting conditions constraints. On top of that, consumer style units are perfectly suitable for the gimbal work. So, if one can conjure up an 8K A7SIV, it'd probably sell like hotcakes.

5. Collapse Details
    Nokis'hita is reporting that Sony registered two (secret) cameras with FCC (which it has to do due to the WiFi connections). Them could be the expected R5 competitor (named A9 something) and A7IV.

Or it could be an electric car. Who knows.

6. Collapse Details
    Doubt that Sony will let the a7mk4 be a big enough improvement (otherwise steps on the a7Smk3 toes) to beat the very capable and well priced Panasonic S5.

Maybe if they wait until late 2021 to release it. But by then Panasonic/Fujifilm/Nikon/etc will have lots of their own new cameras released, and yet more firmware updates released for the S5 / X-T4 / Z6mk2 / etc
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    Doubt that Sony will let the a7mk4 be a big enough improvement (otherwise steps on the a7Smk3 toes) to beat the very capable and well priced Panasonic S5.
    I dont think they'll worry about protecting the A7S3. The market for the a7iv is vastly bigger. Plus the A7S3 will still be distinguished (4k120p, faster RS, better lowlight) and many of its potential buyers may have already bought in (like me).

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    I dont think they'll worry about protecting the A7S3. The market for the a7iv is vastly bigger. Plus the A7S3 will still be distinguished (4k120p, faster RS, better lowlight) and many of its potential buyers may have already bought in (like me).
    Low light Sensitivity is very important in video because we are locked into 1/48th to 1/120th shutter speeds most of the time. And Holding focus at f1.2 is swimmy.

For stills, shallow dof and slower shutter speeds and frame by frame denoise in camera, as well as AI noise reduction tools exist and make sensitivity less of a concern these days.

9. Collapse Details
    I can see them holding back something video centric like 10bit to differentiate the A7S3 from the A74. They can’t have the same features. I think it will be a larger version of the a7c with 4k 60 being differential between those cameras.
    Last edited by Peter C.; 12-03-2020 at 06:08 AM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    I dont think they can or will hold back 10-bit. I mean they could but I doubt it.

Didn't the a7iii have similar codecs etc to a7sii?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast