Thread: A74

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Now sonyalpharumors is saying the 2 cameras are a9 successor and a compact rx. So a7iv will come later

That should give it more breathing room to up the specs and step on the a7s3's toes
    Last edited by ahalpert; 12-03-2020 at 08:19 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    There's no reason A7IV can't have a 10-bit (100 Mbps) codec and be priced around $1.750. That's the sale price of A7III already and 10-bit is a minor - in terms of cost of production - advancement over 8-bit. That dollar amount will also place it at half of A7SIII and into a different user (hobbyist) category.

A9 8K then can be priced at ~ $5,000, once again far above A7SIII not to slice into its sales numbers.

FX-6 is a different purpose unit entirely.
    But there is a reason: 10-bit with same old bit rate would be garbage.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Now sonyalpharumors is saying the 2 cameras are a9 successor and a compact ex. Si a7iv will come later

That should give it more breathing room to up the specs and step on the a7s3's toes
    That would make more sense for Sony, as they want to hit back at Canon in the 8K region.

A bridge camera could be successful, if the specs and the price are right. I would bet against both.

As to A7IV, the delay makes sense as well, with A7c just coming out. Maybe the 7c smaller size would the entry full frame for Sony. That was bandied about too - something in the $1,000 range to match EOS RP. At the moment, Sony only has the APS-C models competing.

Quote Originally Posted by jonpais View Post
    But there is a reason: 10-bit with same old bit rate would be garbage.
    No, it would depend on the processing.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    I'm confused who the A7c was designed for. Because the average consumer who wants a point and shoot isn't going to drop $2,200 (with a crappy kit lens and memory card). A professional who might spend that money, wouldn't want to hold a small body grip with big heavy lenses and look through a terrible little view finder. This illustrates the idiotic corporate decisions that are made in a vacuum that were talking about. It's also makes it impossible to predict what features would be included in new camera.
    For a professional who wants to buy a small gimbal camera to match with their big boy FX9, then the a7C makes a hell of a lot of sense!
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    8 bit S-Log does not hold up well to grading. Anyone earning money with their camera would be far better off getting the a7s III. The argument that the a7c would be ideal because you can fly it on a small gimbal is a weak one, as the a7s III can also be flown on a small gimbal.
    Last edited by jonpais; 12-05-2020 at 06:09 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    I agree, but it depends on how crucial this B Cam is for their needs, if they want to drop a7Smk3 level of cash into an extra camera.
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jonpais View Post
    8 bit S-Log does not hold up well to grading. Anyone earning money with their camera would be far better off getting the a7s III. The argument that the a7c would be ideal because you can fly it on a small gimbal is a weak one, as the a7s III can also be flown on a small gimbal.
    I find it funny when you point out a logical criticism on a forum, people need to disagree with you for argument sake or they feel the need to defend these large companies as if you insulted their best friend.

I have entertained a7c as a gimbal camera due to it's small size and great AF. The main issues that have kept be from it is, it's price, lack of versatility, and no 4k 60. $2,300+ is a lot of money for stickly a gimbal camera. I agree I you going to spend that amount of money you might as well get the A7s3. I'm also sure that Sony didn't design the A7c to be a gimbal camera, it just happens than many of it's characteristics fit that application.

I find the more I learn about these companies and short comings of these cameras, the more it makes me yearn for the days when I was blissfully unaware.
    Last edited by Peter C.; 12-05-2020 at 07:01 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    I find it funny when you point out a logical criticism on a forum, people need to disagree with you for argument sake or they feel the need to defend these large companies as if they were their best friend who you just insulted. I have entertained a7c as a gimbal camera due to it's small size and great AF. The main issues that have kept be from it is, it's price, lack of versatility, and no 4k 60. $2,300+ is a lot of money for a gimbal camera. I'm also sure that Sony didn't design the A7c to be a gimbal camera, it just happens than many of it's characteristics fit that application.

I find the more learn about how the practices of these companies and short comings of these cameras, makes me yearn for the days when I was blissfully unaware.
    Not sure where you're coming from, as nobody is disagreeing with anyone in this thread just for the sake of argument, nor do I see anyone defending large companies as if they were their best friend, whatever in the world that is supposed to mean. as for being designed to work with a gimbal, we've got no idea what that means either, as any camera may be flown on a gimbal. LOL
    Last edited by jonpais; 12-05-2020 at 07:11 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    I find the more I learn about these companies and short comings of these cameras, the more it makes me yearn for the days when I was blissfully unaware.
    Well, that's the best thing you've ever said on here.

10. Collapse Details
    I find it funny when you point out a logical criticism on a forum, people need to disagree with you for argument sake or they feel the need to defend these large companies as if you insulted their best friend.

I have entertained a7c as a gimbal camera due to it's small size and great AF. The main issues that have kept be from it is, it's price, lack of versatility, and no 4k 60. $2,300+ is a lot of money for stickly a gimbal camera. I agree I you going to spend that amount of money you might as well get the A7s3. I'm also sure that Sony didn't design the A7c to be a gimbal camera, it just happens than many of it's characteristics fit that application.

Think of it as Art. You learn the rules and then you break the rules.

You learn how sucky these cameras and camera companies are, and then you just forget it all and focus on what you can change.

I know much of what I say on these forums doesn't help me use the camera as a selling point, but I have never used a camera as a selling point.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast