Thread: A74

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    They all had exactly the same video specs - HD/4K when applicable - for 5 years (besides slow-motion which improved in a few models) until the a7SIII was released.

The a7RIV could become a video powerhouse hybrid next to the III if they choose to move that way (needs to be expensive).

Both models are usually very close in price - and one would have the stills and one would have the sensitivity. The IV would probably have other cool features like higher resolution acquisition and S35 4K.

2. Collapse Details
    What makes sense to us the end user and what makes sense to Sony executives sitting in a boardroom on the 80th floor of the Nakatomi building, are two entirely different things. Let me ask you, would it make sense to design a newer better menu put it in the A7S3 then release a newer camera after it (the A7C) but not include that new menu? That feels very much like a marketing decision but who knows maybe just incompetence.

3. Collapse Details
    It would make sense if the cinema department worked on the camera, or if it was at least a joint operation in corporate.

The a7C is strictly from the photo department.

Logistics matter for the final product/launch even if they seem absurd.

Could also be something exclusive (for now) reserved for the a7S for its big horrah...the "The camera's finally here after a 3-year delay."

4. Collapse Details
    Yeah they should have included the new menu.

I would guess that they don't include 6k recording just because it would outshine A7S3 in that regard plus potentially raise the cost they should charge and also generate a lot of heat. But who knows. Mayne the a9 successor could have it, that would make a lot of sense

5. Collapse Details
    I'm confused are you (nobro) saying the photo department is in charge of the menu? The A7C is an odd camera because reduced the size and position of the viewfinder that if you use it to take pictures is important. The size and weight isn't that much different than the A73. They lopped off the viewfinder and called it an upgrade. I wouldn't want to take pictures on it. Btw if it did 4k 60 I would have bought for gimbal work.
    Last edited by Peter C.; 12-03-2020 at 09:27 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    I'm saying it's a corporate decision. It's about the product; not exactly who's in charge of what.

The a7SIII is special so it's going to get special attention, including a new menu that may or may not have been worked on individuals normally outside of the regular stills department.

So it's a little bit of everything:

(1) Certain top-tier corporate product exclusivity.
    (2) New menu for new product (another bullet-point on PowerPoint).
    (3) Incompetence in the form of the inability to let old business ideologies fade.

Maybe think of it as a feature. No 4K/60p for a7C, no new menu for a7C.

7. Collapse Details
    Saw your edited/updated post...

The a7C - although a little overpriced - is pretty unique as it has the best AF out of anything before it (besides the a7SIII) and I actually do see a visual improvement in its IQ. Whether that's from the sampling or any new color science, or maybe both.

Its size and having a full-frame sensor is actually a feature too.

The width is the same as others, but the height and diameter are significantly less (in terms of mms).

8. Collapse Details
    I'm confused who the A7c was designed for. Because the average consumer who wants a point and shoot isn't going to drop $2,200 (with a crappy kit lens and memory card). A professional who might spend that money, wouldn't want to hold a small body grip with big heavy lenses and look through a terrible little view finder. This illustrates the idiotic corporate decisions that are made in a vacuum that were talking about. It's also makes it impossible to predict what features would be included in new camera.

9. Collapse Details
    Don't be too confused...

They made 22+ different mirrorless' over the last 7 years.

It's just business until it's not.

10. Collapse Details
    There's no reason A7IV can't have a 10-bit (100 Mbps) codec and be priced around $1.750. That's the sale price of A7III already and 10-bit is a minor - in terms of cost of production - advancement over 8-bit. That dollar amount will also place it at half of A7SIII and into a different user (hobbyist) category.

A9 8K then can be priced at ~ $5,000, once again far above A7SIII not to slice into its sales numbers.

FX-6 is a different purpose unit entirely.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast