Thread: A74

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    A74
    I recently saw the A73 go on sale that is a signal to me they're getting ready to release the A74. What do you want to see added or improved and do you think they will actually upgrade from the previous version? What features do you think they will leave off so it doesn't compete with the A7S3? I've been holding out for this camera because the S version is a great camera but it's a little too expensive for what I need mainly a low light and gimbal camera.

Autofocus: this seems like a no brainer
    4k 60p: this also seems likely
    No Time limit: not sure if this will be included
    Flip Screen: again would make sense but not sure
    Higher resolution LCD/viewfinder: I don't see them doing it because this is an R feature
    10bit: Nice but not sure.
    Price: $2,200 this would be reasonable

2. Collapse Details
    a7III dropped $150 or so 6 months after its release in 2018. (It's down $300 now, so that's nicer.)

Just the way of the camera world...99% have sales after 6 months, less if they aren't moving.

___

Some think the a7C has replaced that line but if we're playing...

Most likely 4K/30p, 8-bit (422 external) with improved AF and no limit (like the others). Flip screen exists on the a7C so that's most likely a standard moving forward (for $1K+).

All of the above is the a7C.

IMO, Sony cannot provide 4K/60p to any camera below the a7SIII for a year or so.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    I recently saw the A73 go on sale that is a signal to me they're getting ready to release the A74. What do you want to see added or improved and do you think they will actually upgrade from the previous version? What features do you think they will leave off so it doesn't compete with the A7S3? I've been holding out for this camera because the S version is a great camera but it's a little too expensive for what I need mainly a low light and gimbal camera.

Autofocus: this seems like a no brainer
    4k 60p: this also seems likely
    No Time limit: not sure if this will be included
    Flip Screen: again would make sense but not sure
    Higher resolution LCD/viewfinder: I don't see them doing it because this is an R feature
    10bit: Nice but not sure.
    Price: $2,200 this would be reasonable
    A74 may inherit the 10bit feature, but because it is the base model, totally unknown. In my opinion, the A7 and A7r shoot just as well as the A7s, but the A7s just usually gets the better video features first. Seems to help it fill a niche of being for low light shooters and videographers, and hybrid people are more likely to go A7, and avid stills shooters may prefer the A7r and A9. Overall, Sony has a better eco system than Red's DSMC and Canon's line up. Just that until recently the A7 series has not had very good codecs.

4. Collapse Details
    I think the rumor is that the a7iv is coming late next year. I wonder what the codecs will be. I'm guessing 10-bit but no alI-intra. 4k60 but no 120. I think I'd rather have an A7SIII and a7iv than 2 a7siii's because the differentiation gives you extra versatility. Plus it should be a bit cheaper than the a7s. But I'm really going to try not to buy another camera next year because I kind of have all my bases covered now

5. Collapse Details
    A lot depends on the price. If it replaces A7III in the sub-$2,000 category, Sony will definitely cripple the codec (although 8-bit in 2021 might turn it into a paperweight). In which case, the 10-bit XAVC at 100 Mbps should be the ballpark guess. If it's $2,500, as speculated on SAR, then it should have 10-bit H265 at 100 and 200 Mbps. 4K/60, 1080/120. Nay on the external recordings.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    A lot depends on the price. If it replaces A7III in the sub-$2,000 category, Sony will definitely cripple the codec (although 8-bit in 2021 might turn it into a paperweight). In which case, the 10-bit XAVC at 100 Mbps should be the ballpark guess. If it's $2,500, as speculated on SAR, then it should have 10-bit H265 at 100 and 200 Mbps. 4K/60, 1080/120. Nay on the external recordings.
    Yeah, 8bit in a 4K HDR world is a no-go, even for consumers. If sony sells the A74 with 10bit, then users will also have to upgrade their TV. Win win for everyone.

7. Collapse Details
    BTW, A7III is down to $1,700 in Black Friday/Christmas promotions. Maybe Sony won't have to wait until the next fall for 7IV. If one looks at the releases from their full frame competitors/customers, Panasonic released S5, Nikon Z6II/Z7II and Fuji announced a pixel-shift firmware upgrade to GFX 100 (medium format but Fuji doesn't make full frame). Sony's turn should be coming up.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    BTW, A7III is down to $1,700 in Black Friday/Christmas promotions. Maybe Sony won't have to wait until the next fall for 7IV. If one looks at the releases from their full frame competitors/customers, Panasonic released S5, Nikon Z6II/Z7II and Fuji announced a pixel-shift firmware upgrade to GFX 100 (medium format but Fuji doesn't make full frame). Sony's turn should be coming up.
    Such a strange time.

For the last 12years they have been improving too slow, and now it is going so fast. Yet, they still have that 13stops DR ceiling.

9. Collapse Details
    There's also an "education discount" that brings the price down to $1,450. (I've been self-educating for about 30 years. I wonder if I am eligible).

As to releases, there was a long delay after the 7.0 Kumamoto Earthquake (April, 16, 2016) that heavily damaged the Sony sensor plant. And since, Canon aside, everyone buys their sensors from Sony, that put a kibosh on new product for about a year. Even after the plant had returned to full capacity, there was first a need to restock the store shelves with the existing models.

Now, it's Covid. Olympus is (almost) down and out and Nikon is leaking water in all directions. Panasonic is floating aimlessly without releasing a new MFT GH piece. Which bring the industry down to 2 1/2. Canon, with its newly found "damn the torpedoes" attitude, is leading the pack.

10. Collapse Details
    Sony Alpha Rumors relays a bit from Nokis/hita that Sony registered a new ILC. He thinks it'll be an R5 challenger, something with A9 in the name. If so, A7IV may be delayed a bit.

Or it could be A7IV. But probably not.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast