Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Like always, it depends on what you’re doing. Sometimes there is no time for syncing in post or any post for that matter. There are also times you’re at a distance and need to hear what is being said so you can react to it. The need for wireless audio is not gone, just because we have inexpensive little recorders, now. I mean, I think they’re cool little tools, but the biggest negative with these is just not being able to hear if you have a scratch, a rub, wind, the mic fell or any other problem. And looking at a little waveform on the app isn’t going to tell you that. Probably 80%+ of what I do with a lav is with it buried. Heck, I’ve been in windy situations where I HAD to bury it, even though it wasn’t necessary for the shot.

Having a TV background, I always see the case/need for high-quality in-camera everything that can go straight to air, either live or extremely short turnaround(maybe minutes, maybe being played straight off card/tape[bitd] immediately). I still get nervous on shoots where audio is all recorded in the bag with nothing going to camera.
    I completely agree with you. I'm just lucky where I currently don't need wireless. I really hope some other wireless technology takes off to eliminate the need for the FCC.

Funny how I can Airplay 4k HDR movies to my TV across the house but can't get a single channel of audio to my camera.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
    I completely agree with you. I'm just lucky where I currently don't need wireless. I really hope some other wireless technology takes off to eliminate the need for the FCC.

Funny how I can Airplay 4k HDR movies to my TV across the house but can't get a single channel of audio to my camera.
    The 2.4Ghz does do away with the FCC in a sense. It's unlicensed and unregulated air in most parts of the world. Just wish it was a lot larger area of bandwidth. If you are near a lot of wi fi routers or mobiles using wi fi, it often doesn't work.
    And the range is nowhere near UHF. My Deity and Røde Video Wireless, when they work, are pretty good sounding for prosumer stuff.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

3. Collapse Details
    What I don't understand about the wifi products is why they don't offer 2.4 and 5G. The 5G wifi has a big advantage over 2.4 in that it has more channels (20 vs 13) and unlike the 2.4 channels, which step on each other, the 20 5G channels are independent of each other.
    Awarded Best Clear Com Chatter, 2001, PBS Television

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
    What I don't understand about the wifi products is why they don't offer 2.4 and 5G. The 5G wifi has a big advantage over 2.4 in that it has more channels (20 vs 13) and unlike the 2.4 channels, which step on each other, the 20 5G channels are independent of each other.
    From what I've read, 5G sucks when it comes to going through anything, significantly shorter range that 2.4Ghz, which is already way below UHF. It allows more bandwidth throughput but
    most wireless audio users care mostly about distance it seems.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

5. Collapse Details
    Ah, yes, of course, that would be the reason.
    Awarded Best Clear Com Chatter, 2001, PBS Television

6. Collapse Details
    Very little idea about this topic, but every now and then I see devices that use 1.9GHz. Why is that not more commonly used? I assume, it would be less saturated than 2.4GHz in most settings (but maybe not, maybe 1.9GHz is used a lot by devices I am not aware of) and being of a lower frequency, would be able to get through materials marginally better than 2.4GHz.

7. Collapse Details
    Amusingly, I think maybe I have found an answer for my own question. Maybe 1.9GHz requires licensing, since it looks like the 941-960MHz also needs a license.

https://nofilmschool.com/lectrosonic...eless-spectrum

But also, not? According to this other website 940-60MHz is unlicensed space.

https://www.esteem.com/2019/01/unlic...less-networks/

8. Collapse Details
    I guess I have been lucky, using two older G3 with no issues & a DR-10L when I have a third person on camera. I seldom need to scan for frequencies.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlSutton View Post
    I guess I have been lucky, using two older G3 with no issues & a DR-10L when I have a third person on camera. I seldom need to scan for frequencies.
    I have been using the infamous G2 range A and as a second source, I purchased the XSW-D.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789