Thread: Stereo mics

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Collapse Details
    Well here's the strongest wind I could find (as I say, I avoid wind normally): another East Anglian beach from some years ago. In this case with two pairs of footsteps crunching by. Not brilliant by any means, but not wandering around wildly. https://soundcloud.com/norfolksoundm...160124-0099s12

Cheers,

Roland

2. Collapse Details
    This is intriguing - I tried it on speakers and sounded quite normal, so I tried on my IEMs and something odd happened. The footsteps went BEHIND me, not in front. Anyone else hear this? Really spooky - no idea why that happens - the waves were stereo and in front.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    This is intriguing - I tried it on speakers and sounded quite normal, so I tried on my IEMs and something odd happened. The footsteps went BEHIND me, not in front. Anyone else hear this? Really spooky - no idea why that happens - the waves were stereo and in front.
    They went directly through my brain.

4. Collapse Details
    Most surround and image manipulation is based on M/S phase techniques. These can also be applied to stereo and some well know systems such as Q sound etc have done this quite well.

I used to have a fab console for post called and AMS Neve DFC and it was an automateable A/B wide control that could change the S content on any stereo signal and it was always good fun playing with the stereo imaging to expand or narrow things.

With sources such as footsteps etc it can be quite interesting if you record them with an M/S mic to A/B and if they move from the M to the S domain you can get the kind of spatial movement that you have described. It's all done with phase manipulation and sometimes that can be used to great effect.
    Over 15 minutes in broadcast film and tv production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352
    /

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234