Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I've never heard of Avenue 5. Where did you see it? HBO or?
    Yeah, Avenue 5 is Iannucci's latest show and it premiered on HBO in January. Wasn't my cup of tea

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Yeah, Avenue 5 is Iannucci's latest show and it premiered on HBO in January. Wasn't my cup of tea
    I think he has a deal with HBO so most of his current stuff shows up there first. Political satire is very individualistic, what I find funny, others drop their jaws
    in horror, especially Peter Capaldi's character in "The Thick of It". It's fun hearing Dr. Who spouting the most creatively profane invectives at the other characters and the whole cast is good.
    Same with Veep, the writing was so acidly biting, I like that, it's so British/Scottish, even though it's about American politics. I'll have to check out Avenue 5 someday
    when it's not on HBO and moves to Prime.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

3. Collapse Details
    I should note - Avenue 5 is not about politics. It's about a cruise ship in outer space. It's wholly possible that I'd like his political stuff more. I was just wondering how the style compares

4. Collapse Details
    If you watch the three shows I listed, you'll see quite distinct stylistic parallels that run through all three, almost archetypes, especially in the supporting characters.
    None of the characters are nice people, honorable, "normal", they are all raging, egocentric psychopaths, desperately clawing their way toward power and dominance,
    much like real politicians and real politics. Like actors, politicians are mostly insecure narcissists, a more deadly combination of personal traits, I cannot think of. Except actors
    mostly just want adoration and money while politicians want mostly power and dominance, followed by money.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Someone said, "Politics is Hollywood for ugly people."

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    Three more British classics:

Yes, Minister.
    G.B.H.
    A Very British Coup
    + 1 on Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister.

Still classic writing, even today with great comedic timing by a great ensemble. Talents that have rarely been bettered in political comedy. During the Thatcher years it was considered to be virtually compulsory viewing by the White Hall cognoscenti.

Chris Young

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I think he has a deal with HBO so most of his current stuff shows up there first. Political satire is very individualistic, what I find funny, others drop their jaws
    in horror, especially Peter Capaldi's character in "The Thick of It". It's fun hearing Dr. Who spouting the most creatively profane invectives at the other characters and the whole cast is good.
    Same with Veep, the writing was so acidly biting, I like that, it's so British/Scottish, even though it's about American politics. I'll have to check out Avenue 5 someday
    when it's not on HBO and moves to Prime.
    I can't stand Avenue 5, but both Iannucci's writing and Peter Capaldi's performance in The Thick of It, along with the film version In the Loop are really great. It's stunningly bombastic, so definitely not for everyone, but I find it hilarious. Veep is great too, but pulls some punches compared to Thick of It/In the Loop.

BTW, Gandolfini is pretty great in In the Loop as well.

8. Collapse Details
    The Contender

9. Collapse Details
    Given the current events both sides of the pond (other than COVID) the best political comedy's are the main news channels.
    I think if many (most?) of the recent incidents both sides of the pond were put in to their respective "House of Cards" people would say they were far fetched and unrealistic.

Though the series Space Force was almost a documentary.

10. Collapse Details
    There is an absurd show on twitter and YouTube. Starring some guy talking and ranting about elections.
    I think it is a spinoff from the Apprentice. It seems funny sometimes.

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast