Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Favorite political movies/shows?
    'Tis the season (in America).

What is everyone's favorite political movie/show (serious or comedic)?

I think I'll go with House of Cards Season 1 (American version, I haven't seen the British one). I remember thinking that the story dipped substantially after they completed the season 1 arc. But the pacing and plot/characters, and the depiction of the shenanigans of political dirty tricks was all riveting.
    www.VideoAbe.com

"Captain, the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is 'I do not know.'" - Lt. Cmdr. Data

2. Collapse Details
    I'd have to go with "All the President's Men". The screenplay, the acting, the direction was all top notch.

And I've felt this way regardless.

3. Collapse Details
    For the non-English language films, there are a couple of Italians from the early 1970's - "The Confession" ("Confessione di un commissario di polizia al procuratore della repubblica") by Damiano Damiani and the The "Conformist" ("Il comformista") by Bernardo Bertolucci.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    I'd have to go with "All the President's Men". The screenplay, the acting, the direction was all top notch.

And I've felt this way regardless.
    Regardless of what? It's been a while since I've seen it.

I haven't seen the confession. I remember the conformist being beautiful but I dont remember the story that well

5. Collapse Details
    The Simpson's have had some good ones over the years... ; )

BTW: Did anyone catch last nights election dig/easter egg? As Moleman goes flying off screen at the end from being kicked by a robot, "That's what I get for voting for Kanye...!".

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    The Simpson's have had some good ones over the years... ; )

BTW: Did anyone catch last nights election dig/easter egg? As Moleman goes flying off screen at the end from being kicked by a robot, "That's what I get for voting for Kanye...!".
    That reminds me, Citizen Kang is one of my favorite pieces of political satire of all time:

I just checked out last night's election bit. The Simpsons can still land witty punchlines almost faster than you can grasp them

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    ... I haven't seen the confession. I remember the conformist being beautiful but I dont remember the story that well
    The "Conformist" was the first pairing of Bernardo Bertolucci and Vittorio Storaro, a partnership that went on to make the "Last Tango in Paris", "1900" and the "Last Emperor". It's about a young aristocrat (Jean-Louis Trintingant of "The Man and the Woman" fame) being sucked into the corruption of Mussolini's Italy of the 1930's and 40's.

And, if you reread that other sentence, you may discover a Gerard Damiano related hint.

8. Collapse Details
    The Manchurian Candidate (1962)

Avoid the execrable 2004 remake, though
    Pudgy bearded camera guy
    http://mcbob.tv

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbob View Post
    The Manchurian Candidate (1962)

Avoid the execrable 2004 remake, though
    I actually liked the remake, though mostly for the vibe. The vibe of PTSD Denzel and the vibe of the sleeper assassin when he's triggered. But I haven't seen the original.

Possibly my favorite Key&Peele sketch includes a manchurian candidate moment in the middle of a blizzard of other thriller tropes:

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbob View Post
    The Manchurian Candidate (1962) ...
    Back in 1994, I brushed with the directorial greatness that was John Frankenheimer. He was actually very pleasant ... until I asked him about the film. Apparently, he and Sinatra did not get along.

PS. The line about the "President's Men" is not about feelings but about Felt. But keep it under a hat.

PPS. The problem with that K&P skit is that it's the same joke throughout the sketch.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast