Thread: CineMatch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29
  1. Collapse Details
    #11
    Default
    You're right on the money with the BlackMagic. But surprise, the second frame is the C200 (shooting CRL) and the third is the Red One MX. I think we've disagreed about the level of noise coming off of the Canon sensor in past threads but maybe now you can see why it's a problem for me. This was at ISO 800. The decade-old Red sensor, also at ISO 800, is much cleaner and the noise that is there seems to be monochromatic and very fine.

    I think I may be sold on CineMatch. Just hoping to see more cameras supported, like in FilmConvert.


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #12
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    You're right on the money with the BlackMagic. But surprise, the second frame is the C200 (shooting CRL) and the third is the Red One MX. I think we've disagreed about the level of noise coming off of the Canon sensor in past threads but maybe now you can see why it's a problem for me. This was at ISO 800. The decade-old Red sensor, also at ISO 800, is much cleaner and the noise that is there seems to be monochromatic and very fine.

    I think I may be sold on CineMatch. Just hoping to see more cameras supported, like in FilmConvert.
    That's interesting. Have you ever done a side by side with another C200 to make sure there isn't something funky going on with your copy? That seems like a LOT of noise for iso 800 in such brightly lit scene, even when shooting RAW.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    8,936
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    You're right on the money with the BlackMagic. But surprise, the second frame is the C200 (shooting CRL) and the third is the Red One MX. I think we've disagreed about the level of noise coming off of the Canon sensor in past threads but maybe now you can see why it's a problem for me. This was at ISO 800. The decade-old Red sensor, also at ISO 800, is much cleaner and the noise that is there seems to be monochromatic and very fine.

    I think I may be sold on CineMatch. Just hoping to see more cameras supported, like in FilmConvert.
    I really always had a feeling your camera was faulty because I've read your consistent concerns about it (consistency is good) the past few years...

    I'm surprised CRL broke apart so quickly.

    For the record, I think Canon cameras introduce a lot of chroma noise during grading and complained about it again in August regarding the R5, but CRL has been pretty flexible, IMO.


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    8,936
    Default
    BTW, the Americans make great cameras!

    That thing was released around the end of the Industrial Revolution.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #15
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmorphasis View Post
    That's interesting. Have you ever done a side by side with another C200 to make sure there isn't something funky going on with your copy? That seems like a LOT of noise for iso 800 in such brightly lit scene, even when shooting RAW.
    I have yet to rent a second body for a two-camera shoot, but I've seen footage from other C200 shooters that seems to be consistent with the noise levels that I am seeing, unfortunately. Maybe it differs from body to body? But in my experience, cCanon bodies are usually pretty consistent (unlike BlackMagic).


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #16
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I really always had a feeling your camera was faulty because I've read your consistent concerns about it (consistency is good) the past few years...

    I'm surprised CRL broke apart so quickly.
    Yeah, it's not great. Which is why I allocate time to apply noise reduction to every raw clip (these will receive the same before final export).

    After this shoot, I backed up all of the raw footage from all three cameras -- the amount of recording time on each camera was about the same. The BM footage took 9 minutes to transfer, the Red footage took 8 minutes, and the C200 CRL files took almost three hours. Then I loaded them up until Resolve, and the C200 files are the noisiest of the bunch by far, and the hardest to play back. The C70 can't come soon enough!


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    3
    Default
    This camera looks pretty good.


    0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #18
    Default
    Another question for John Parker, in case he checks back: how will updated camera profiles be handled? Will they be downloaded a-la-carte, like in FilmConvert? Or are they added automatically with new updates (like Adobe Camera Raw)?


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #19
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    Another question for John Parker, in case he checks back: how will updated camera profiles be handled? Will they be downloaded a-la-carte, like in FilmConvert? Or are they added automatically with new updates (like Adobe Camera Raw)?
    Initially new cameras will be added in future versions of the plugin installer, so you'll need to install an updated version of the plugin to get the new cameras. We'll announce when we add new camera support via email and social media.

    Eventually we'll start using the FilmConvert model, where additional camera packs can be downloaded and installed ala carte.


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #20
    Senior Member ahalpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,045
    Default
    Cinematch is 40% off this week for Black Friday: https://www.cinematch.com/purchase?u...82f9-282376214
    www.VideoAbe.com

    "Captain, the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is 'I do not know.'" - Lt. Cmdr. Data


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •