Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    removing boom guy in post for WS?
    Shooting a pilot in coming weeks and I have a lot of Wide Shots where I wont be able to hide the mic (lav or boom) - example a pool scene - is it common to mask the boom guy in post?
    I've had editors in the past do some of this masking on a shot or two - but it was pretty time consuming. I know it's best to do this on static shots.
    Appreciate any advice. Thanks

2. Collapse Details
    If it's a static shot it's pretty simple. Lock off the camera. Shoot the wide with the boom operator in frame. Then clear him out after the take and get a clean plate. Then matte the two together.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Batutta View Post
    If it's a static shot it's pretty simple. Lock off the camera. Shoot the wide with the boom operator in frame. Then clear him out after the take and get a clean plate. Then matte the two together.
    Except when the clouds moving through the shot make the exposure of the mask area plate different lighting and levels...
    If it's a nuclear bright day with no clouds, pretty easy on a lock off.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

4. Collapse Details
    Other options are;

- Place a plant mic in a prop such as some toy floating in the pool
    - Shoot with the boom mic out of frame to get a reference track. Immediately after the take, have the actors redo the scene with the boom in the scene. Most actors can redo the take well enough to dub the second take audio onto the good take.
    - ughh, ADR

5. Collapse Details
    You could still probably match the exposure in post pretty easily. With the tools today, I wouldn't call this time consuming. Now if it was a moving, traveling shot, that increases the difficulty ten fold.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks guys,
    Very helpful.
    Yeah - they're all static shots I had in mind.
    Paul - F - good tips. Merci. Everyone.
    Peace - Kev

7. Collapse Details
    'If it's a static shot it's pretty simple. Lock off the camera. Shoot the wide with the boom operator in frame. Then clear him out after the take and get a clean plate. Then matte the two together.'
    Hey Batutta - thanks for the above - I was watching some vids on this. One question - and ya don't have to go into too much detail as the editor will be doing the masking - but when I clear out the sound guy from the shot should the clean frame be as long as the take with the sound? Curious.
    thanks

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin baggott View Post
    'If it's a static shot it's pretty simple. Lock off the camera. Shoot the wide with the boom operator in frame. Then clear him out after the take and get a clean plate. Then matte the two together.'
    Hey Batutta - thanks for the above - I was watching some vids on this. One question - and ya don't have to go into too much detail as the editor will be doing the masking - but when I clear out the sound guy from the shot should the clean frame be as long as the take with the sound? Curious.
    thanks
    It doesn't have to be. Technically you could just use a still, but there might be a subtle moving grain depending on the sensor, asa and compression where a clip would more seamlessly blend, but a few seconds of that could be looped to fit.

9. Collapse Details
    "...but a few seconds of that could be looped to fit."
    Thanks Batutta!
    Kev

10. Collapse Details
    I should add, make sure whatever space the boom operator is in, whatever is behind him is static. No moving tree or things flapping.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast