1. Collapse Details
    NX80 doesn't live stream in 4k?
    So the NX80 is capable of live streaming, but it's not 4k and barely HD?

Is it possible to stream in 4k?

2. Collapse Details
    It's possible, but not many cameras offer it. (However, many output 4K via HDMI.)

Besides the camera, you'd also need other hardware (if applicable) and the streaming platform to support it as well.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    But I'm asking specifically if the Sony HXR-NX80 can live stream in 4k?

It has live streaming capabilities.

I will have a Verizon Jetpack for wifi if the place I'm at doesn't already have it.

4. Collapse Details
    The camera's a little old and can barely shoot 4K, so I would think no (with its native software and just the camera), but I looked it up anyway and it appears 720p is the best it can do.

NX80.jpg

5. Collapse Details
    I thought the NX80 was a pretty new variation of this camera series?

It has a 1" 4k sensor, that's specifically why I chose it. Plus it was only around $2200, which was at the top end of my budget. Overall I'm very happy with the quality this 4k camera brings to the table.

Live streaming would be nice, but really not a major requirement to the point that I can live with this camera and probably just not use it to live stream at all since it's only 720p.

What would be the newest, comparable camera to look at?

6. Collapse Details
    It was announced in 2017 which means they were probably working on it in 2016 (at least), which means the camera is ancient in camera years as it's using old hardware and ideology (meaning corporate provided us what people thought they wanted back then without extreme competition and standards changing even more drastically in the years after).

With that said, old isn't always a bad thing - [especially if you can still use it for your work and you're happy with it (most important)] - as some of the best cameras in the world still used today have been around for 5, 10+ years (but they are expensive cinema cameras).

In general, fixed-lens consumer cameras were always way behind in the technology race versus mirrorless' and cinema systems.

There's nothing new and comparable in that price range from Sony. Everyone doesn't make/update these type of cameras as much anymore.

7. Collapse Details
    Hmm it seems I probably got the best option for my budget then.

My last camera was a 1080p Canon Vixiz that I had for 4 years, so this was a HUGE upgrade for me.

I'll probably utilize this camera for the next 4-5 years and re-evaluate the camera options available then, along with my budget and hopefully upgrade up to a real Pro camera.