Thread: Sony PXW-FX6

Page 26 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    "Nobody cares"
    Couldn't agree more!
    Its a nice camera and it may be in my future but Neflix approved will have nothing to do with my decision. The debate now is should I really be looking at an iPhone 12 pro Max before most of my clients start asking me why I don't shoot on it, it cost less than two grand.
    Last edited by BrianMurphy; 12-27-2020 at 04:42 PM.
    Brian Murphy
    Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto
    Sony PXW-Z150 -Sony A7iii -Sony A6400/A6000
    Sony-28/135 Cine-Tokina 11/16-Sigma 70/200 Sigma 24/70, Nikon 55(1.2)
    Rokinon AF 18mm F2.8, AF 50mm F1.4
    Collection of CY lenses and vintage Nikons, Canons.
    DJI Osmo Plus -GoPro H5
    DJI Mavic Mini
    Konovas motorized slider kit.
    Teradek Vidiu kit-PFY Eagle Eye/iPad mini 5

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Donny 123 View Post
    Yes I know .. but the question was "how does one get gigs for Netflix " nothing about what camera is needed .. ?
    When it comes to "getting a gig for Netflix" the camera you own is so far down on the list, it isn't even on the list.
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

3. Collapse Details
    I only get work by reputation and almost never get asked about which camera I own. Maybe back when a Red camera was considered to be hot that could be a selling point but not anymore. So who cares really about approved? I only purchase things that makes my work easier.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    When it comes to "getting a gig for Netflix" the camera you own is so far down on the list, it isn't even on the list.
    Not really.. they are not all expensive cameras are they ..f5 / fs7 /fx9 and now fx6 are on the list .. alot of owner ops could "get a gig for Netflix ".. but its knowing the producer or director, thats the only way for a DP to get a gig for Netflix .. as I said ..

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Brown View Post
    I only get work by reputation and almost never get asked about which camera I own. Maybe back when a Red camera was considered to be hot that could be a selling point but not anymore. So who cares really about approved? I only purchase things that makes my work easier.

You almost never get asked what camera you have .. really ..? there are the usual suspects that generally get asked for .. but owning say an F35 or F900r as a freelancer you aint going to get hired with that camera ..

6. Collapse Details
    Most don't care as it looks about the same regardless of which camera I use and in the end clients sure as hell don't care. Some weeks ago I mentioned I got a second FS7 and the producer just looked at me and asked me what an FS7 is. This fall I've worked with at least six different cameras. Put any camera in my hands and I'll make it work.

7. Collapse Details
    Different clients have different demands. Some know/care about camera and some don't. My clients are a broad mix of those who request a specific camera (which varies) and those who only request resolution and framerate (and sometimes not even framerate)

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    Different clients have different demands. Some know/care about camera and some don't. My clients are a broad mix of those who request a specific camera (which varies) and those who only request resolution and framerate (and sometimes not even framerate)
    When I booked you, I only cared that you and the second shooter had the same camera so as we live streamed, the two shots would match color.
    For the Legion of Honor Ceremony, I didn't know or care which of your cameras you used because I knew you'd do a good job regardless.

The whole Netflix Approved thing seems ridiculous to me, I doubt very many Netflix Commissioned projects are going to shoot on the FX6 or S1H, other than as crash cams
    or specific instances where a small plant camera is necessary. It's still going to mainly be an Arri Alexa Mini LF fest for the foreseeable future.
    So few DPs and production companies are actually commissioned to where Netflix approved matters, it's really moot point for almost everyone.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

9. Collapse Details
    It is going to be Alexa LF/Mini LF ... until a streamer - and not necessarily Netflix - begins advertising/promoting 8K footage. And then others will want to catch up on the high end. At least, on some projects.

But "Netflix approved" label does have some cache because, once upon a time it was such a prestigious list, the original Alexa couldn't get on it. And it shows the progress in the camera/electronics design. A few years ago, an $80,000 unit wasn't good enough. Nowadays, a $4,000 model is deemed sufficient. Even that $2,000 Panasonic box is. Yup, I lost all respect for Netflix.

10. Collapse Details
    The Netflix approval is based largely on a set of specs - 4K log or RAW capture at a minimum bitrate, necessary outputs, etc... it should be easy to predict which cameras will land on the list if you know the full set of requisite specs. It's not like Ted Sarandos is back there testing cameras and arbitrarily deciding what he likes

Page 26 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast