Thread: Sony PXW-FX6

Page 21 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by drboffa View Post
    I'd take animal-eye AF over touch tracking... That's at the top of my list, along with an XAVC-S codec option so we can get sound with video when shooting at high frame rates.
    Animal eye will be very handy for those covering politics ..

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Anyone have any thoughts on possible IR contamination on FX6? In this Youtube comparison between FX6 and C300 the guy's 'black' T-shirt goes that terrible brown/maroon. Go to 1 min 45 sec.
    www.afterglow.net.au

3. Collapse Details
    Could be but Looking quickly at those images it looks like the FX9 shots are warmer altogether so it might not be far Red contamination. On first glance the Canon out of box color & exposure looks better, but who knows how it was exposed or what setup was in each camera.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Afterglow View Post
    Anyone have any thoughts on possible IR contamination on FX6? In this Youtube comparison between FX6 and C300 the guy's 'black' T-shirt goes that terrible brown/maroon. Go to 1 min 45 sec.
    Doesn't look like IR pollution to me. It's a quite pronounced difference between the two, but if you look at the darker sections of his hair, and the darker shadows on the trees in the background, there's no contamination in those - which would suggest that it's a difference in hue rather than IR performance.

If you look at the red-painted curb behind him, you can see there's significantly more saturation in the Sony compared to the Canon - which would lead me to suspect that Sony's colour science is giving more saturated reds in the mid/darker tones, and since his shirt has a little bit of red in it, the FX6 is making that a little more pronounced.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Welp, looks like I'm jumping on the bandwagon. I've put in an order for the little guy as well.

The tiny size, crazy low-light, fast boot, and internal ND have proved too enticing for the s*%tty, non-locking lens mount, and need for an external v-mount plate to scare me away.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    Welp, looks like I'm jumping on the bandwagon. I've put in an order for the little guy as well.

The tiny size, crazy low-light, fast boot, and internal ND have proved too enticing for the s*%tty, non-locking lens mount, and need for an external v-mount plate to scare me away.
    Congrats mark! What types of projects do you think you'll use it for? Will you keep it small or see how far you can take it as a rigged cinema camera?

7. Collapse Details

Welcome on board... I've ordered it also, but there are already delays in EU for the FX6. Hopefully I will get mid January, exactly when the DZO Vespid primes arrive. I just wish that the other rigging accessories will come out.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    Congrats mark! What types of projects do you think you'll use it for? Will you keep it small or see how far you can take it as a rigged cinema camera?
    I think it'll basically take over duties for every gig that isn't renting in a Mini. That seems to basically be where the market has split (here in Melbourne at leat) - there are smaller gigs that don't really care all that much (and generally just ask for an FS7), and then there are bigger things where you're shooting on a Mini or Amira.

I'll be rigging mine up into a normal cine configuration (the same way I rig everything essentially), I have a couple of new bits incoming though that will streamline it into a pretty tiny/tidy cine build.

I've got a Cforce Mini RF en route (so no more FIZ control boxes to add on), and an SDI/HDMI Teradek Bolt (my current one is only SDI), so that I can use HDMI for wireless video, which will leave the SDI port free to feed a Gratical (either by itself, or routed through the Shogun if we ever record raw from it).

I've also just got a bunch of Mini V-locks in (which are about 750g lighter than my Anton Bauers), so there's weight being trimmed out all over the place.

The result is going to be a fully rigged setup that'll sit at about 7.2kg for a fully wireless build, and 8.4kg if I have to add the Shogun for raw recording - that's 3kg lighter than the equivalent builds on my F55 (a 25% reduction in weight, and a 5.5" shorter build lengthwise) and that's with all the mod-cons included. Pretty exciting really.

And if I switch out the LMB-25 for a simpler, lightweight matte box (which is a much less scary prospect when you have the FX6's internal NDs), I could actually get the build under 7kg, which is crazy.

The remaining question to ponder now, is whether I sell off my pair of Fuji X-T3s, and replace them with an A7Siii (to live on the Ronin S2)? Having a matching sensor for the gimbal would be great, as would being able to share AF lenses between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Vik Kamenicky View Post
    Welcome on board... I've ordered it also, but there are already delays in EU for the FX6. Hopefully I will get mid January, exactly when the DZO Vespid primes arrive. I just wish that the other rigging accessories will come out.
    Yeah, I gather we're also back-ordered well into January down here. I'm mostly sorted for accessories, the only things I really need to add are the Hawk Woods battery plate, and I need someone to bring out a PL mount/top plate combo, that offers proper bracing for the PL-mount (like Wooden Camera's kit does for the FS5).

The CFexpress Type A cards are brutally expensive (three 160GB cards have set me back 25% of the cost of the whole camera!), but fast data wrangling is a big deal, and I didn't want to have to deal with swapping out a special media card, and carrying a second card reader at all times just to be able to shoot HFR on occasion.

I think the Vespids will go really nicely with the FX6, they're super tiny - even smaller and lighter than the CP.3s (and half the weight of my Sigmas).

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    I think it'll basically take over duties for every gig that isn't renting in a Mini. That seems to basically be where the market has split (here in Melbourne at leat) - there are smaller gigs that don't really care all that much (and generally just ask for an FS7), and then there are bigger things where you're shooting on a Mini or Amira.

I'll be rigging mine up into a normal cine configuration (the same way I rig everything essentially), I have a couple of new bits incoming though that will streamline it into a pretty tiny/tidy cine build.

I've got a Cforce Mini RF en route (so no more FIZ control boxes to add on), and an SDI/HDMI Teradek Bolt (my current one is only SDI), so that I can use HDMI for wireless video, which will leave the SDI port free to feed a Gratical (either by itself, or routed through the Shogun if we ever record raw from it).

I've also just got a bunch of Mini V-locks in (which are about 750g lighter than my Anton Bauers), so there's weight being trimmed out all over the place.

The result is going to be a fully rigged setup that'll sit at about 7.2kg for a fully wireless build, and 8.4kg if I have to add the Shogun for raw recording - that's 3kg lighter than the equivalent builds on my F55 (a 25% reduction in weight, and a 5.5" shorter build lengthwise) and that's with all the mod-cons included. Pretty exciting really.

And if I switch out the LMB-25 for a simpler, lightweight matte box (which is a much less scary prospect when you have the FX6's internal NDs), I could actually get the build under 7kg, which is crazy.

The remaining question to ponder now, is whether I sell off my pair of Fuji X-T3s, and replace them with an A7Siii (to live on the Ronin S2)? Having a matching sensor for the gimbal would be great, as would being able to share AF lenses between the two.

Yeah, I gather we're also back-ordered well into January down here. I'm mostly sorted for accessories, the only things I really need to add are the Hawk Woods battery plate, and I need someone to bring out a PL mount/top plate combo, that offers proper bracing for the PL-mount (like Wooden Camera's kit does for the FS5).

The CFexpress Type A cards are brutally expensive (three 160GB cards have set me back 25% of the cost of the whole camera!), but fast data wrangling is a big deal, and I didn't want to have to deal with swapping out a special media card, and carrying a second card reader at all times just to be able to shoot HFR on occasion.

I think the Vespids will go really nicely with the FX6, they're super tiny - even smaller and lighter than the CP.3s (and half the weight of my Sigmas).

What is your way to make it shoulder mounted / handheld? I'm considering the paring of Bright Tangerine LeftField with the Tilta Universal Quick Release Shoulder Pad as it has an Arri standard dovetail.

For the Card Read, you can get the pricey SONY MRW-G2, it has CFA and SD slot.

I'm sticking to SD v90 cards + 1 CFA for just HFR for now.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Vik Kamenicky View Post
    What is your way to make it shoulder mounted / handheld? I'm considering the paring of Bright Tangerine LeftField with the Tilta Universal Quick Release Shoulder Pad as it has an Arri standard dovetail.

For the Card Read, you can get the pricey SONY MRW-G2, it has CFA and SD slot.

I'm sticking to SD v90 cards + 1 CFA for just HFR for now.
    I already have a Bright Tangerine baseplate, so my plan is just use that to attach the camera to my Wooden Camera shoulder rig for handheld work.

I didn’t realise the card reader could do both, that definitely makes life easier. I don’t have any V90 cards already, so that probably makes it a bit easier to just skip them entirely, and move to the faster cards.

Page 21 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast