Thread: Sony PXW-FX6

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Sony PXW-FX6
    In about seventeen days Sony will introduce specs for their new camcorder PXW-FX6. What to expect then?

fx6_1.jpg

The PXW-FX6 is at the low end of their FX-series and follows the FS7/FS5 route by making a lower cost and smaller camera with reduced features than the bigger brother. As of now there's a bunch of cameras out with influencers and the camera is in full production with a built up of inventory. It was delayed a bit and should have been available this fall rather than in the beginning of 2021.

The key features is that it does use a full frame sensor with excellent AF and a useful range of S&Q modes. To set it apart from the FX9 it's based around a different circuit and operation system. The camera body is improved over the FS5 and follows the FX-line colours and buttons. One thing missing compared to the FS5 is no EVF. Instead Sony does provide a view finder piece that attaches to the touch LCD-screen. Recording modes is 10-bit 4:2:2 in both LONG-GOP and Intra depending on resolution and frame rate. It provides two XLR in, SDI and HDMI out, 2-7 stops of variable ND, S-log curves with view assist and it has a very nice grip improved over the one on the FS5 and FS7.
    Last edited by J.Brown; 11-17-2020 at 05:09 AM.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Sounds good! I probably shouldve gone with an FX6. It sounds like its just as good as FX9, but with less fancy smanchy bells and whistles aimed at bigger sets.

But i needed it now rather than later, so what can you do.

3. Collapse Details
    So I guess no 4K 10bit 422 Intra recording, shame....

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Brown View Post
    In about seventeen days Sony will introduce specs for their new camcorder PXW-FX6. What to expect then?

The PXW-FX6 is at the low end of their FX-series and follows the FS7/FS5 route by making a lower cost and smaller camera with reduced features than the bigger brother. As of now there's a bunch of cameras out with influencers and the camera is in full production with a built up of inventory. It was delayed a bit and should have been available this fall rather than in the beginning of 2021.

The key features is that it does use a full frame sensor with excellent AF and a useful range of S&Q modes. To set it apart from the FX9 it's based around a different circuit and operation system. The camera body is improved over the FS5 and follows the FX-line colours and buttons. One thing missing compared to the FS5 is no EVF. Instead Sony does provide a view finder piece that attaches to the touch LCD-screen. Recording modes is 10-bit 4:2:2 in both LONG-GOP and Intra depending on resolution and frame rate. It provides two XLR in, SDI and HDMI out, 2-7 stops of variable ND, S-log curves with view assist and it has a very nice grip improved over the one on the FS5 and FS7.
    No EVF is a glaring omission IMO. The EVF on the FS5 was not great but extremely useful... Any word on $ point?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    No EVF is a glaring omission IMO. The EVF on the FS5 was not great but extremely useful...
    I agree.

But I still hope that they are going to develop an optional viewfinder piece that is small and integrated into the whole design, something that doesn’t make the camera bulky. And I’m not talking about a viewfinder loupe. Canon’s EOS C300 MKIII viewfinder solution is a good example how to do it: https://i1.adis.ws/i/canon/oled_elec...13898831331809

Those who don’t need it don’t buy it.

6. Collapse Details
    No chance. You think they are trying to make a usable tool? No. Just a random set of specs - need an evf? .. FX9 for you.

The loony thing is to me without any crippling the 6 would be more valuable than the 9 being smaller and lighter.

7. Collapse Details
    Hopefully 4K 60P to 120P will be available in S35 mode.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    No chance. You think they are trying to make a usable tool? No. Just a random set of specs - need an evf? .. FX9 for you.

The loony thing is to me without any crippling the 6 would be more valuable than the 9 being smaller and lighter.
    EVF? FX9 has an LCD screen with a clip on loupe....
    I used it for 2 months shooting a comedy series.
    Also used a Ninja V but certainly had no built in EVF.
    I certainly agree that a FX6 sized camera would be MORE
    valuable. I actually bought an A7siii but ended up selling
    it as I want the built in variable nd and xlr inputs. I will
    almost certainly be purchasing the FX6.
    Last edited by alaskacameradude; 11-01-2020 at 08:57 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    The fs5/fx6 are different than the fs7/fx9 in that the former are truly handheld cams while the latter are shoulder shooters. No evf on the fx6 means a point of contact has been taken away. When I shot handheld with my fs5 it was either high on my chest or with the evf against my eye in bright conditions. The cheapest consumer cameras have evfs, so why can't Sony put one on the fx6?...

10. Collapse Details
    Did you really use the FS5 evf.. I found it just poked INTO my eye being too small.

I think dropping the EVF is becoming more common since the EVA1 and the blogeratti think they dont need one. Its only people who actually work, which may involve sunny days that need one

Ive got my nikon Z6 and the EVF is constantly useful because of sunny days. (its way better than the FS5 though)

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast