Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    I hope these are much better than the FSBs. I rented the FSBs several times and wasn't impressed, my current DV6 SB and my previously owned Video 18 both felt much better.
    That's interesting. My CineDSLR is practically a re-badged FSB6 and I found the build quality and functionality pretty dang awesome. That said, I haven't spent a lot of time with the higher-end Sachtler stuff or anything higher-end than that... so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

In any case, I'm excited by getting back to mostly using one tripod that can handle my Canon cinema cameras in both their "bare" and "rigged up" configurations. I've been splitting duties between the CineDSLR/TT75-2 setup for the "bare" camera and a Cartoni Focus HD on Manfrotto 536 sticks for the heavier rig and teleprompter setup.

I think I'll likely still need to use 100mm for the teleprompter setup, but since that doesn't really get panned/tilted live I can probably just snag something like a Kessler Hercules to support that.
    JERBCO, Ltd.
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

2. Collapse Details
    I hope these are much better than the FSBs. I rented the FSBs several times and wasn't impressed, my current DV6 SB and my previously owned Video 18 both felt much better.
    Has anybody been able to do a direct side by side comparison of the Aktiv heads with the older DV or Video series?

My workhorse tripod is a DV6SB on Flowtech 75 sticks, which is a killer setup for light to medium weight camcorders (CX350 and EVA1 in my case), but I'm doing more and more two-camera shoots and have been thinking about getting another rig with similar performance. I am torn between the Aktiv8 or another used DV6SB - I've avoided the whole FSB series because of the known issues. I'd like to know how they compare when tested with the same payload.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Smith View Post
    Has anybody been able to do a direct side by side comparison of the Aktiv heads with the older DV or Video series?

My workhorse tripod is a DV6SB on Flowtech 75 sticks, which is a killer setup for light to medium weight camcorders (CX350 and EVA1 in my case), but I'm doing more and more two-camera shoots and have been thinking about getting another rig with similar performance. I am torn between the Aktiv8 or another used DV6SB - I've avoided the whole FSB series because of the known issues. I'd like to know how they compare when tested with the same payload.
    Would be interesting to see a comparison. I just remark as a long time Sachtler user who owned the Video 18, Video 20, DV6 SB and I have used the DV12 and 15BSs too. I rented an FSB6 for a shoot a few months ago and had it side by side with my DV6 SB and there was no comparison, the DV6 was much smoother and better quality. Also, rented three of the Sacthler ACE M tripods for my shoot in Denver this week. They were junk, really just re-badged Manfrottos, the moves were clunky and even when you cinched down on the tie down, the camera and lens would still creep. And we were shooting really light cameras and rigs (X-T3 with the XF50-140mm f/2.8 OIS) total weight was probably around 3-3.5lbs) It's sad to see a once great brand seeming to become crappy to hit price points. Back when I bought the Video 18 and 20, they were $7k to $9k tripods and they were the best on the market short of O'Connor. Now, the modern Sachtlers aren't impressing me much. Hopefully the Active reverses their trend of more and more plastic parts, not a great feel and questionable build quality compared to the legacy product.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

4. Collapse Details
    Just got notification the Activs are going to start limited shipping in November... a couple of retailers have told me January before they’ll get them.
    JERBCO, Ltd.
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jbregar View Post
    Just got notification the Activs are going to start limited shipping in November... a couple of retailers have told me January before they’ll get them.
    Fingers crossed. If they are good, really good, not just the new features, I will buy one as my DV6 SB still works great but I it would be nice to add another heavier load contender to the stable for those times when I shoot with a heavier camera.

6. Collapse Details
    With heavier setup, it's nice to have a sinusoidal counterbalance.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by laverdir View Post
    With heavier setup, it's nice to have a sinusoidal counterbalance.
    and 100mm bowl and tripod!

8. Collapse Details
    I don’t totally understand the pricing difference between the 100mm and 75mm Flowtech sticks. It’s well over double. I get the 100mm is built heavier (44 vs 66 lbs) but having played with both it’s not that big of a difference.

Probably a “what the market will bear” kind of thing.

The Activ10 also just looks like an Activ8 with a 100mm ball. Everything else looks to be identical.
    JERBCO, Ltd.
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

9. Collapse Details
    and 100mm bowl and tripod!
    Actually 150mm, tripod is optional.

10. Collapse Details
    Has anyone gotten an Aktiv head yet? Iím very close to pulling the trigger on this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ....html/overview

Everything Iím finding on the web is more an overview of the new technology and not a review on how smooth the head handles...

Seeing that the Aktiv10 has the same payload capacity as the Aktiv8 it seems like there is no purpose in buying the more expensive Flowtech 100 legs with the Aktiv10 head when the Flowtech 75 & Aktiv8 would seem to give you darn near the same experience with a little less weight and a lot less money, no?

My camera fully built out is usually in the 15-17lb range, so I canít see myself needing more than what the Aktiv head should handle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast