Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Sachtler Activ Series Tripods
    Didn't see a thread for this, but. it looks like Sachtler's replacing the FSB series with the Activs. Newsshooter did a review on the Activ8 and now I kind of want one.

The thing I found the most interesting about the lineup is the Activ8 (FSB8) and Activ10 (FSB10) have the exact same load handling. One's 100mm and the other is 75mm. I'm somewhat interested in getting FSB10 load-handling capability in a 75mm package. Kind of tired of carrying around my 100mm sticks.

Newsshooter review: https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/10/...d-head-review/
    Sachtler page: https://www.sachtler.com/en/aktiv

Also, is it really pronounced "SATCH-el-er" and not "SOCKT-ler" or (the correct German accent version) "ZAKT-ler"?
    JERBCO, Ltd.
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jbregar View Post
    Didn't see a thread for this, but. it looks like Sachtler's replacing the FSB series with the Activs. Newsshooter did a review on the Activ8 and now I kind of want one.

The thing I found the most interesting about the lineup is the Activ8 (FSB8) and Activ10 (FSB10) have the exact same load handling. One's 100mm and the other is 75mm. I'm somewhat interested in getting FSB10 load-handling capability in a 75mm package. Kind of tired of carrying around my 100mm sticks.

Newsshooter review: https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/10/...d-head-review/
    Sachtler page: https://www.sachtler.com/en/aktiv

Also, is it really pronounced "SATCH-el-er" and not "SOCKT-ler" or (the correct German accent version) "ZAKT-ler"?
    Matt may be the only person I've heard pronounce it that way. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but I've always heard "Sock-ler"(a lot of people don't even pronounce the T when saying it).

3. Collapse Details
    I've always called them SACK-LER (LUR) - definitely not pronouncing the T like R&G mentions - but hearing Matt say it that way makes me think about it.

As far as the tripods, I guess if you need to upgrade or just need a change, they look great. (I barely used a tripod last year; more gimbal and handheld.)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    It's spelt Sachtler but it's pronounced Throat-Warbler-Mangrove

(Anyone recognize that?)

5. Collapse Details

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Matt may be the only person I've heard pronounce it that way. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, but I've always heard "Sock-ler"(a lot of people don't even pronounce the T when saying it).
    In the UK we pronounce it the same way as Matt.

Here's my camera dealer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5PFrjQS32A&t=149s
    "There is nothing permanent except change."
    Heraclitus

www.liamhall.net
    TWITTER: @WordsbyLiam
    INSTAGRAM: @picsbyliam

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam Hall View Post
    In the UK we pronounce it the same way as Matt.

Here's my camera dealer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5PFrjQS32A&t=149s
    That mispronunciation could start a war.

Here's the German pronunciation, sort of sounds like Zack-tler

They probably care more about how many tripods you buy than they do about what you call them

The new design looks cool

8. Collapse Details
    It's nice to see that they increased the number of counter balance steps to 15 on all of the Aktiv heads and they bumped up the number of pan and tilt drag steps to 7 on the Aktiv 8 and Aktiv 10 heads as well. The FSB-8 and FSB-10 only had 10 counter balance steps and 5 pan and tilt drag settings. The Aktiv 6 still seems to only have 3 levels of pan and tilt drag, although it does get the full 15 counter balance steps.

Also, the counter balance ranges on these new heads go all the way down to zero, which is helpful for balancing a wider range of loads including very light setups. On most of the previous FSB heads (aside from the FSB-4) the counterbalance is still engaged with minimum payload requirements even at the lowest setting. The FSB-6 has a minimum payload of 3.3 lb. (1.5 kg), FSB-8 minimum is 2.2 lb (1 kg), while the FSB-10 minimum is 8.8 lb (4 kg).

Pricing seems to be about 10% higher for the Aktiv heads compared to the equivalent FSB equivalent, which isn't bad I suppose, especially considering the improvements. The Activ 8 seems to be the best value of the bunch since it has the same payload capacity as the Activ 10 (or FSB-10), but costs $500 less than the 100mm heads.

9. Collapse Details
    For those who hadn't learned German:

The German consonant “s,” in front of a vowel, is pronounced like an English “z” (as in “zipper”). It is voiced and soft. Following a vowel, the “s” is pronounced like an English “s” (as in “snow”), unvoiced and hard.
    "ch"is not that simple to explain (there are quite a few exceptions with "s" too), but in this case "ch" = h, as in "yacht".

10. Collapse Details
    I hope these are much better than the FSBs. I rented the FSBs several times and wasn't impressed, my current DV6 SB and my previously owned Video 18 both felt much better.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast