Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chris f View Post
    Has anyone gotten an Aktiv head yet? I’m very close to pulling the trigger on this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ....html/overview

Everything I’m finding on the web is more an overview of the new technology and not a review on how smooth the head handles...

Seeing that the Aktiv10 has the same payload capacity as the Aktiv8 it seems like there is no purpose in buying the more expensive Flowtech 100 legs with the Aktiv10 head when the Flowtech 75 & Aktiv8 would seem to give you darn near the same experience with a little less weight and a lot less money, no?

My camera fully built out is usually in the 15-17lb range, so I can’t see myself needing more than what the Aktiv head should handle.
    Things to consider for the 100mm:

A) Room to grow and carry that larger/heavier payload down the road that you're thinking right now you will NEVER have/buy/use... (see 'B' below)

B) More clamping/staying power between the head and legs(yes, it's not a traditional clamp, but it's still more surface area).

C) Larger legs & larger more rigid basket = more torsional rigidity = less twisting/backlash.

D) Better for long lens work because of more mass(absorb micro jitters, etc.) and more torsional rigidity(see 'C' above).

There's only about 3 lbs difference in the two systems. If you mostly hike through the woods or up mountains by yourself, that's something to consider. Otherwise the difference between ~12.5 lbs & ~15.5 lbs isn't that big of a deal for day-to-day shooting. And honestly, it's one of the easiest tripods to carry, because the shape of the legs makes it very easy/comfortable when you throw it over your shoulder and the rubber covered handle lets you carry it precisely at the center of gravity.

On paper, both systems can support the same payload. But my money is on the 100mm system being a little better/smoother for long lens work.

2. Collapse Details
    Has anyone gotten an Aktiv head yet? Iím very close to pulling the trigger on this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ....html/overview

Everything Iím finding on the web is more an overview of the new technology and not a review on how smooth the head handles...

Seeing that the Aktiv10 has the same payload capacity as the Aktiv8 it seems like there is no purpose in buying the more expensive Flowtech 100 legs with the Aktiv10 head when the Flowtech 75 & Aktiv8 would seem to give you darn near the same experience with a little less weight and a lot less money, no?

My camera fully built out is usually in the 15-17lb range, so I canít see myself needing more than what the Aktiv head should handle.
    I got mine about two weeks ago. I havenít used it on an actual shoot, but the time Iíve spent with it makes me pretty happy. Itís going to take some muscle memory retraining to stop grabbing at the underside of the half bowl, but the head and sticks are both amazing. The head is smooth, counterbalance works well. Mineís carrying my C300 Mk III with a variety of lenses just fine. It even held my teleprompter setup. No complaints except for the lighter bank account... but considering I had my previous Sachtler kit for 12 years and it worked like new when I sold it to a friend, itís probably worth the spend.

One bonus I didnít anticipate is it has a more contoured top plate than the Cine DSLR head itís replacing... so it interferes less with the cable coming out of my Canon 18-80 CN-E.

Mine came from Adorama.
    JERBCO, Ltd.
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Run&Gun View Post
    Things to consider for the 100mm:

A) Room to grow and carry that larger/heavier payload down the road that you're thinking right now you will NEVER have/buy/use... (see 'B' below)

B) More clamping/staying power between the head and legs(yes, it's not a traditional clamp, but it's still more surface area).

C) Larger legs & larger more rigid basket = more torsional rigidity = less twisting/backlash.

D) Better for long lens work because of more mass(absorb micro jitters, etc.) and more torsional rigidity(see 'C' above).

There's only about 3 lbs difference in the two systems. If you mostly hike through the woods or up mountains by yourself, that's something to consider. Otherwise the difference between ~12.5 lbs & ~15.5 lbs isn't that big of a deal for day-to-day shooting. And honestly, it's one of the easiest tripods to carry, because the shape of the legs makes it very easy/comfortable when you throw it over your shoulder and the rubber covered handle lets you carry it precisely at the center of gravity.

On paper, both systems can support the same payload. But my money is on the 100mm system being a little better/smoother for long lens work.
    Having seen both the 8 and 10 product shots together, I’m pretty sure they’re identical except for the half ball. The weight between the two is 0.4 lbs (head only) and I’d guess that comes from the larger metal ball.

While I’d agree the 100mm is better for larger payloads, I’m pretty sure the clamping force on the 75mm is such that you’d probably break something before it slipped. When you adjust the clamp correctly, it locks down HARD.

I put my prompter and camera on the Activ8/Flowtech setup and I’ll be honest, it wasn’t even breaking a sweat. It also did just fine with my C300 and Sigma 120-300mm with 2x teleconverter. That’s the longest and heaviest lens I own.
    JERBCO, Ltd.
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jbregar
    It also did just fine with my C300 and Sigma 120-300mm with 2x teleconverter. Thatís the longest and heaviest lens I own.
    Was it doing fine with static lock off shot or was there movement involved - tracking or slow pan?

Could you snap a quickie to define "less interference" with 18-80 and servo cable?

5. Collapse Details
    Has anyone gotten an Aktiv head yet? Iím very close to pulling the trigger on this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ....html/overview

Everything Iím finding on the web is more an overview of the new technology and not a review on how smooth the head handles...

My camera fully built out is usually in the 15-17lb range, so I canít see myself needing more than what the Aktiv head should handle.
    My order is still backordered. I'll report back once I receive it. I ordered a flowtech 100 and with aktiv10 head and will be able to compare to my flowtech 75 with fsb8 head
    Florida Based Photographer & Cinematographer
    http://www.austinburke.photography/

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by laverdir View Post
    Was it doing fine with static lock off shot or was there movement involved - tracking or slow pan?

Could you snap a quickie to define "less interference" with 18-80 and servo cable?
    There was movement involved. I was just messing around with it, but it looked good to me.

Sure, but you can see it in the product shots. The top plate on the head is scalloped away at the corners.
    JERBCO, Ltd.
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

7. Collapse Details
    The next existential question: Sideload plate? Or touch and go plate? I hate side load, BUT The rest of my ecosystem is all Manfrotto base plates and it would be nice to not have to buy new adapters for everything...

8. Collapse Details
    I did sideload. I prefer sideload... for the interchangeability AND to get the extra fore-aft adjustability. Need more? Just get a longer plate.

The only time I think the touch and go makes sense is if you’re swapping out another QR system like VCT or Arca.
    JERBCO, Ltd.
    jerbco.com

Web | Video | Aerial

9. Collapse Details

I plan on picking up an aktiv8 at some point. One thing to think about is how it'll work with existing/future camera support equipment.

For example, on the dana dolly it should be fine to adapt using their 75mm perm adapter.

I'll have to work a little harder with the jib that I have, which is a 100mm bowl and the 75mm adapter is a ring so I'm not sure how that will work yet..

10. Collapse Details
    The next existential question: Sideload plate? Or touch and go plate? I hate side load, BUT The rest of my ecosystem is all Manfrotto base plates and it would be nice to not have to buy new adapters for everything...
    It's Arri Dovetails or bust for me. I refuse to muck around with smaller systems any more, life is simpler for it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123