Thread: Sony F35 Price

1. Collapse Details
    Sony F35 Price
    Hi everyone ,I was wondering if 5730 USD is a good price for the sony F35?
    The package is from a friend from my country and has around 1500 hours on it
    It also comes with Gold mount plate ,flight case and the C35W VF and is verified by sony

Thank you!

2. Collapse Details
    Does it come with any type of recording option or are you going to have to out of pocket for a digital solution and media?

Also is this for personal projects, or paid gigs?
    If the later I find most are wanting you to shoot in at least 4K now.

3. Collapse Details
    Thank you for your relpy,
    Out of the box it can do 10 bit with the IF box ,but with an external recorder it can do 12 bit 444 (Odyssey form CD is the only that can if I m not mistaking).
    It does not come with media or batteries.
    The camera has a refund policy and I can pay extra for insurance.
    I will use the camera for both personal projects and paid gigs,if the client requiers I can easily upscale.

Thank you again!

Best regards,
    Andrew

4. Collapse Details
    As a former F35 owner, I can say if a client is asking for 4K deliverables then upscaled HD from the F35 is not the same thing to a paying client.

While I always liked the look the F35 delivered, there is no way I would purchase one in 2020/21.
    Especially without a recording solution included.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    I would grab it at that price for sure. You seem confident in your upscaling and I agree with you 100 percent it’s a beautiful method and produces amazing results that I find look better then any 4k camera in the market today. Go for it and it’s perfect for 2020 and beyond for sure. Get it and join the club and never feel bad about the 4k and higher craze. Find clients who appreciate your work not the camera you shoot on. Good luck man.
    Favorite Cameras I own
    Sony F35 & Sony F3

Decent Cameras I own
    Arri Alexa Classic, Canon XH-A1 Dvx100b

These Cameras I own that almost did it for me BUT NOPE
    BMCC.2.5K AND FUJI XH1

These I own as a mad scientist and fanboy but will never shoot with again
    Red one MX, Red Epic, Ursa mini pro G2

My ultimate advice " Find a camera you love that way your signature won't be like mine"

6. Collapse Details
    Price sounds about right for a complete unit with the IF box included.

7. Collapse Details
    In The US an F35 can be usually be gotten between $4K and $5K depending on the condition (for body, VF and IF box). You might see many offered for $5500 or more on ebay. But that doesn't mean that they are sold for that much. The buyer can always make an offer of their own, which you should make as well.
    What you have going for you is relatively low hours and a seller being a friend, from the same country (save on shipping), who would allow you to test it thoroughly before you pay. That is a nice luxury that I believe is worth the extra money in your case. I would put down the condition that you test it yourself and take the footage home and check for any problems. That is the only reason I would pay more for a camera, and that is definitely worth paying a little more.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by RayZan View Post
    In The US an F35 can be usually be gotten between $4K and $5K depending on the condition (for body, VF and IF box). You might see many offered for $5500 or more on ebay. But that doesn't mean that they are sold for that much. The buyer can always make an offer of their own, which you should make as well.
    What you have going for you is relatively low hours and a seller being a friend, from the same country (save on shipping), who would allow you to test it thoroughly before you pay. That is a nice luxury that I believe is worth the extra money in your case. I would put down the condition that you test it yourself and take the footage home and check for any problems. That is the only reason I would pay more for a camera, and that is definitely worth paying a little more.
    I'm with RayZan do some thorough testing ( all different types of scenarios you can ) get your hands on it. Do your upscale tests, compare to other 4k deliverables you've don. Maybe download some stock footage of high end 4k cameras that are popular do some side by sides on all different type of panels, tv, phone, iPad etc... make sure the image is what you need. The 1080 is incredibly sharp and detailed on this camera. Its quite impressive. I have my computer going to a 48inch oled panel and I have compared 6k pocket cam footage to the 1080 of the F35 and they both look pretty good and hard for me to differentiate the resolution and sharpness ( if your using decent glass on both ). If your final 4k deliverable will be uploaded to youtube, vimeo, insta etc.. really doesnt matter, it will look fantastic at 4k. Resolve does a great job of upscaling using the super scale feature. If you do plan to upscale make sure your footage is as noise free as possible at the time of shooting. The last thing your client should be worried about is resolution anyways, if they care or bring it up in the initial meeting I would prob see that as a red flag haha.

I would def recommended getting a odyssey or renting one for paid clients to get 12bit dpx and 12bit pro res 4444. Other thing is to consider when you have a paid gig you'll have to charge a little more to rent some PL glass. Keep that in mind!

But if some reason your not impressed with the camera just sent her back, like RayZan mentioned make sure thats okay before hand. I have used the F35 on a paid client shoots for a financial firm and a medical company.. As corporate as it gets..

Good luck!!

9. Collapse Details
    Oh I also forgot to mention, if you plan on delivering upscaled footage for the editor to recompose you will prob have poor results when pushed too far. if your upscaled footage won't be recomposed and just uploaded, should be good.