1. Collapse Details
    Looking for tire hitting curb sound effect
    I need the sound of a tire hitting a curb. I have a scene where a vehicle slides into a curb and then it drives on. So it would be a screech thud sound
    Tire squeals are easy to come by but I cannot seem to find a proper sounding curb sound.
    Any ideas, besides going and curbing my vehicle for real ? ;)

2. Collapse Details
    This is what I picture that sounding like:

https://www.pond5.com/sound-effects/...oach-hits-curb (play button pops up when mouse is over it)

And here's more (or search other keywords):

https://www.pond5.com/search?kw=tire-curb&media=sfx

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    I suspect that the problem here is that that is not what it really sounds like so is probably a manufactured sound recorded physically, Foley style, or an edit of other effects that produce the sound we think tyres make when curbed. The real sound would be less, er, exciting and quite dull. Like the standard movie sound of US cars accelerating and going round a corner. Cars don't really make these sounds any longer unless really abused. In the movies, changing lanes on a highway makes this noise automatically. The big libraries and of course the Internet are full of building block sounds. This one probably exists in maybe Hollywood Edge but will still need editing.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Guessing combining a couple sounds drag/rub a brick across a metal rim (Aluminum or steel) and slam a sledge hammer into a spare tire. Might be severe enough to break/shear off what a lug nut is attached to ( smack a piece of steel). Brake squeal might be needed. Might have the sound well worn brake pad grinding into rotor .

5. Collapse Details
    You could get a speed control from somewhere like harbor freight and slow down a grinder with old rotor attached.

6. Collapse Details
    Sent you a PM.
    "Money doesn't make films...You just do it and take the initiative." - Werner Herzog

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks everyone for the help. Yeah thinking back to when I've actually heard it happen in real life there seems to usually be a thud sound with a chirp as it impacts and then does a small bit of a tire screech/bark/chirp. In my scene the vehicle is sliding too fast around a curve and the rear tire slides and hits the curb and actually causes the rear to straighten up a bit so the vehicle then accelerates on down the street. I listened to the ones shared and think that I can mix a combination that will work and be believable since the viewer will be seeing the vehicle slide and hit the curb so the mind should do the rest.

Paulears, yeah hollywood adds sound effects for so much. It's annoying how they try to make the car scenes more exciting by adding constant tire screeching and using rough camera work when the cars really aren't driven that hard. Back in the car chase era of the early and mid 80s in TV they used to really do extreme driving but since then usually it's nowhere close and they exaggerate and fake it

8. Collapse Details
    From What I recall from doing this about 18 months or so ago, it's a thump. You might be able to recreate it by hitting a tyre (not the wall) with a sledge hammer.

In my case, it damaged the drive shaft, which broke a month or so later, fortunately, not in a totally inconvenient location.

9. Collapse Details
    Sorry, I meant Hollywood Edge, the sound effects producers, who have loads of stock effects.

10. Collapse Details
    I use a plugin called "GRIP" for dynamic vehicle tire and chassis sound design.
    https://www.boomlibrary.com/sound-effects/grip/