Thread: Ninja V Broken

1. Collapse Details
    Ninja V Broken
    From what I can tell, Ninja V exposure tools aren’t working properly. Additionally, Final Cut Pro reads ProRes RAW as S-Gamut3, whereas the Ninja V says it’s being recorded as S-Gamut3.cine. If the files are indeed S-Gamut3.cine, that means hours of extra rendering time for projects.
    https://youtu.be/TyRy86ZXS7U

Atomos replied quickly to my questions. Here's the follow-up video:
    https://youtu.be/cjjMyKecWbw

As for their response to my question about the gamut, it's a little hard to decipher, but I took it to mean that the NLE is reading it correctly as S-Gamut3:
    "In fact, the ProRes RAW is very flexible for post-production. The advantage of RAW format is that it can freely choose the gamma in NLE software. Whatever how you choose the camera gamma in Ninja V , it would just effect the display, and it don't effect the RAW data due to ProRes RAW is able to choose gamma in post-production." ��
    Last edited by jonpais; 10-22-2020 at 09:44 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    I own an Atomos and even though I don't grade my footage what he says is true. The Atomos simply records what ever is sent to it. You can pick luts to help you better see what your log footage will look like when graded but would be like adjusting the color of your monitor it wouldn't effect the video.

I also wouldn't be surprise if the exposure tools (wave form) is fine too. Might be that you just aren't expose correctly for Log. Log usually needs to be over exposed in the camera to optimize the full dynamic range.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    @Peter C. S-log3 should be exposed with zebras set to 94% but Atomos zebras go no further than 80-85%. But I would prefer to hear from a filmmaker who owns the a7s III and the Ninja V and who color corrects their footage. ProRes RAW must be graded, and since you own neither the recorder, the camera or shoot ProRes RAW...
    Last edited by jonpais; 10-22-2020 at 10:05 PM.

4. Collapse Details
    Quick question; what do you mean "Atomos zebras go no further than 80-85%"?

You can't choose 95% on your device?

5. Collapse Details
    When in PQ or Native (rec. 709) modes, zebras clip at 80-85%. Another YouTuber says that PQ mode is incorrect since FW update 10.53 and Atomos themselves in their FW update 10.54 (for the a7s III) say that PQ mode is faulty. The only time I can adjust zebras to 95% is when I use a LUT for the display, like Paul Leeming's LUT. But since I am shooting HDR video and the LUT is rec. 709, it is an annoyance.

See the pinned comment in this video:
    https://youtu.be/GZ9Eh6E1upA

6. Collapse Details
    I hope you find your answer and/or solutions to this (but the a7SIII and ProRes RAW is very new right now as I'm sure you know).

But FWIW, it sounds like there are too many discrepancies with the hardware/software/technology.

The camera's output, its zebras, the recorder's input, its zebras, its hardware settings (how you have it set up), gamma curve(s), the viewing modes, whether or not you're using your own LUTs, what your NLE may or may not recognize the footage as; it's a mess.

With that said, maybe you can use the camera's zebras in the meantime (if the screen doesn't go black) to make sure you at least have accurate exposure (if it indeed is).

7. Collapse Details
    @NorBro I may just use Paul Leeming’s LUT just to be able to set the zebras, then switch back to PQ mode.
    Last edited by jonpais; 10-24-2020 at 10:14 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    I realized this afternoon that it's possible to change the gamut in the menu of the a7s III, which will then be changed in the Ninja as well. My bad! Just waiting to hear from Atomos why Zebras clip at 80% in Native mode and 85% in PQ mode.
    Last edited by jonpais; 10-26-2020 at 05:38 AM.