1. Collapse Details
    Atomos CONNECT 4K is just a rebranded generic $10 capture device
    Suspicions are confirmed, the Atomos CONNECT 4K is just a generic $10 capture device with the Atomos name stamped onto it. Here's the EposVox review.

This is very disappointing, I was hoping it would be a good product that I could use to integrate Vaddio cameras from video conferencing systems into MS Teams.

This doesn't leave me with very many inexpensive, viable HDMI capture device alternatives.

We have one AJA U-Tap at work, but I don't think I could get funding approval for more of them, at lest not at $345 a pop.
    The Blackmagic UltraStudio 3G looks nice, but it only outputs to Thunderbolt, and I didn't see a USB 3.0 version on their website.

The Elgato Cam Link seems well liked, but it's a consumer product, and I'm not sure if it can be relied on in a business environment.

2. Collapse Details
    The UTAP is pretty nice. Had to use mine last weekend for an interview being conducted over zoom for Netflix with an actor, so they could see the actual shot from the camera.

3. Collapse Details
    We have half a dozen UTAPs for our live streaming business. Great boxes. I also just bought four of the BMD bi-directional HDMI/SDI convertors, they are rock solid
    and provide a little line amplification for when I just had to daisy chain six monitors around 200 feet of SDI for an event/shoot. The BMD Mini Recorders are solid boxes too.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

4. Collapse Details
    I probably should have prefaced this by saying that my day job is as an AV tech at a corporation. All tech purchases are made by IT through a preferred vendor, and I have to make a business case for purchase requests.

I would request the Blackmagic UltraStudio, but I need to run the cameras into HP Elite books, which only have one USB-C port, and it's not Thunderbolt. I doubt that I'll get funding approval for more U-Taps, as my request for similarly priced CAT6 HDMI extenders was rejected.

5. Collapse Details
    I have one of the $15 devices but haven't taken the time to test it yet.
    Last edited by Greg_E; 10-22-2020 at 11:43 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    I bought a $10 capture device for personal use, but I wouldn't trust it in a business environment. The cheap ones all seem to capture in Motion JPEG, which really isn't ideal.

7. Collapse Details
    I didn't watch the whole video, but at around 16min in, there's a shot of the PCBs of both devices, and they're not exactly the same:

connect.jpg

Different components (most obvious on the right side of the board), different traces, and different version numbers. And who knows, perhaps different firmware. It could be that Atomos saw the cheap version and thought, "we can hotrod that and make it much better." Or maybe one's a knockoff of the other. Or maybe there's really not much difference at all. But they don't look the same. It would be good to direct a question about the differences at Atomos and make them justify their price over the cheap thing, though.

Anyway, I have a BMD Mini Recorder, the Thunderbolt 2 version, and wasn't happy with it. It required installing a software driver on the Mac, and it worked with a limited range of input frame rates (IIRC...and I may not). And the software driver seemed to conflict with some other stuff I was using (iShowU and later Loopback, and OBS, and macOS Catalina). Could be the software issues weren't BMD's fault, but the thing also runs hot.

So once they were back in stock, I bought an AJA U-Tap and it's working well. Gets a bit warm, but doesn't require a software driver, and works with pretty much whatever I throw at it (though again, it could be that the latest version of BMD's mini recorder would work to). Also, in this case, AJA's tech support was much more responsive and helpful than BMDs.

But Ima, I'm sorry to hear about your corp purchasing problems. I've been there (back when I worked for corporations) and geez, it's not like you're trying to buy (or even rent!) a set of Master Primes. Good luck with this!
    Last edited by Jim Feeley; 10-22-2020 at 04:36 PM.
    ----------
    Jim Feeley
    POV Media

8. Collapse Details
    At the bottom of the boards is a version number, but the name was the same being SFX

V1.4 and v1.6 if memory is correct.

I keyed in on the differences and then started really looking at the text on the bottom right.

I've always had good experiences with AJA, good solid products and the few times I've needed support they have been great.

9. Collapse Details
    You would think that Atomos would capture as YUY2, that is, if they really developed their own product, instead of rebranding a generic one.

10. Collapse Details
    So for twenty bucks I bought one. I have been trying to buy a Logitech Webcam for four or more weeks. Sold out in Canada and no imports from the USA allowed according to BH. So when I read this I figured why not, I can use my RX100 if this thing works. Ordered, got one and I have to say it damn well does. So my needs are to speak with clients before recording their zoom meeting to include in a corporate video and I wanted to "look good" not foggy with some $40 dollar knockoff. I also have to say that it sure looks like the Atomos one from the outside, but I have no interest in opening it up. As long as it works I am pleased and even more pleased I didn't spend two hundred bucks on a Logitech Brio. My Two Cents but thanks for tipping me off!!!
    Brian Murphy
    Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto
    Sony PXW-Z150 -Sony A7iii -Sony A6400/A6000
    Sony-28/135 Cine-Tokina 11/16-Sigma 70/200 Sigma 24/70, Nikon 55(1.2)
    Rokinon AF 18mm F2.8, AF 50mm F1.4
    Collection of CY lenses and vintage Nikons, Canons.
    DJI Osmo Plus -GoPro H5
    DJI Mavic Mini
    Konovas motorized slider kit.
    Teradek Vidiu kit-PFY Eagle Eye/iPad mini 5