Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Premiere Pro 14.5 adds GPU decoding
    https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro...ts-new.ug.html

This should bridge the gap with Resolves better performance, and allow GPU accelerated decoding in the edit timeline of about h.264 and h.265.

Would love to hear people’s experience with performance and their hardware specs. It’s about time!!

As well, support for ProRes RAW has increased, and my digital anarchy transcriptive plugin may soon be redundant.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro...ts-new.ug.html

This should bridge the gap with Resolves better performance, and allow GPU accelerated decoding in the edit timeline of about h.264 and h.265.

Would love to hear people’s experience with performance and their hardware specs. It’s about time!!

As well, support for ProRes RAW has increased, and my digital anarchy transcriptive plugin may soon be redundant.
    filmguy what are you doing still using PP? I live 100% in resolve 16 studio and life is good.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rob norton View Post
    filmguy what are you doing still using PP? I live 100% in resolve 16 studio and life is good.
    Exactly. Adobe is dead to me. And a significant portion of video and media pros. They chose the wrong strategy and pissed off millions.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    This is a welcome addition to Premiere, but its kind of crazy how long it took Adobe to add support for hardware accelerated decoding.

Intel first added Quick Sync hardware accelerated encode/decode support to their 2nd generation (Sandy Bridge) Intel Core processors back in 2011. And they introduced a Quick Sync encoding export plugin for Premiere the same year: https://software.intel.com/content/w...-products.html

So it took 9 years before the full video processing capabilities of the hardware were fully integrated into Premiere.

And just for comparison, 2011 was also the year Blackmagic Design first made available a limited free version of DaVinci Resolve (version 8 Lite): https://www.cined.com/davinci-resolv...ally-available
    Resolve was still just color correction software at the time; this was 2 years before Resolve started adding more editing features and transitioning into a full blown NLE.

The difference in the speed of new feature development between the two video editing packages is pretty stark.

5. Collapse Details
    GPU acceleration is Windows only?... In any case I never upgrade until bugs are shaken out...

6. Collapse Details
    Perhaps I should look into Resolve, I knew it was gaining popularity but didn’t realize the industry tides had turned. I hate switching NLEs, I’ve done it several times now. As of now I have 8 years of projects edited in premiere and a couple thousand in plugins, so it’s quite the hassle to switch. I also need to go back to reference old edits and so losing access is a pain.

Of course, as I type that I see the problem - not owning the software means I lock myself out of the native project files, which does feel wrong.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    As of now I have 8 years of projects edited in premiere and a couple thousand in plugins, so it’s quite the hassle to switch. I also need to go back to reference old edits and so losing access is a pain.
    If any of your Plugins are OFX based a lot of them will appear in Resolve. I'm using dozens and dozens of Red Giant, NewBlue and DFX OFX plugs in Resolve 16 with no dramas. Well far less than I ever had in Premiere. Adobe are incredibly late in coming to GPU decoding. For me Adobe have missed the boat. The only thing of theirs I'm using when I have to is AE. If I can find a good "buy it" compositor to replace AE it to would be gone, gone gone! Haven't dived into Fusion in any depth yet. Also don't forget you can with a reasonable degree of success you can export XML projects from Premiere to work with in Resolve. The worst part is learning a new tool set but if this old fart can do it I think most editors can do it. Editing is editing. Learn the fifty most used tools and workflows in Resolve and you are well on your way.

Chris Young

8. Collapse Details
    I can't change. I use premiere, Photoshop and audition nearly every day. I have altenatives of course and I use those when appropriate, but as my work is in multiple locations, I really love being able to work on anything, anywhere. I'm a cubase user for years and most audio is done in that but it's a pain using it on other computers, so I have the lower (cheaper) version on one other computer and the basic one in my office, and this works badly. However, I can open premiere, do a little edit, and get back on with invoicing. Premier isn't perfect, but I won't change.

9. Collapse Details
    I went back from Davinci 16.3 to 16.1 the latest versions render slow.
    But I won't switch the Davinci Dongle for any costly Adobe product.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    GPU acceleration is Windows only?... In any case I never upgrade until bugs are shaken out...
    I believe some kind of faster GPU acceleration was already implemented in an earlier MacOS version (according to what I just read on RedShark News), so this may just be the Windows version catching-up. Wise words BTW. I normally upgrade every 2-3 years then lock down everything and create multiple back-up clones using CCC 5. Just finalising my Catalina/FCPX/Adobe CC set-up now and then I'll probably stick with it for another good long while...but when the speech to text option becomes available in early 2021 (and the bugs worked out) I might trial that step as I'm doing a lot of captioned social media videos for clients these days.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast