Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    All of my clients who care ask me to work in Premiere Pro. Didn't know that Resolve was getting such a foothold just yet.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Perhaps I should look into Resolve, I knew it was gaining popularity but didn’t realize the industry tides had turned. I hate switching NLEs, I’ve done it several times now. As of now I have 8 years of projects edited in premiere and a couple thousand in plugins, so it’s quite the hassle to switch. I also need to go back to reference old edits and so losing access is a pain.

Of course, as I type that I see the problem - not owning the software means I lock myself out of the native project files, which does feel wrong.
    Just keep subscribing to PP while doing a few projects in the free version of resolve (or partly in resolve) and see if you like it.

Editing audio used to be my biggest issue with resolve but now it's pretty capable.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    All of my clients who care ask me to work in Premiere Pro. Didn't know that Resolve was getting such a foothold just yet.
    I'm not sure where the programs officially stand against each other in market share/I'm sure adobe continues to rake it in. But it seems like a lot of solo editors (not companies) have become heavily involved with resolve.

Why do they ask you to work in PP, is that for a more collaborative post workflow?

If I was a freelance editor making enough money I'd probably have the an adobe subscription, as well as resolve and final cut (and probably windows and apple computers!).

4. Collapse Details
    It's my clients who have an in-house editor (or team of editors) who bring it up. I have Resolve and use it occasionally for personal edits, mostly out of curiosity. But I'm not nearly as efficient with Resolve. My impression has been that it's improving but not quite there yet. Perhaps I just don't know where all of the tools are yet. And honestly, I've been really happy with the latest versions of Premiere. I'm not really sure what else I'd want other than faster processing which it sounds like Premiere is finally getting.

Like filmguy, I have almost a decade's worth of projects in Premiere and a couple dozen plugins so that makes the prospect of switching NLEs pretty daunting.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHitRecord View Post
    It's my clients who have an in-house editor (or team of editors) who bring it up. I have Resolve and use it occasionally for personal edits, mostly out of curiosity. But I'm not nearly as efficient with Resolve. My impression has been that it's improving but not quite there yet. Perhaps I just don't know where all of the tools are yet. And honestly, I've been really happy with the latest versions of Premiere. I'm not really sure what else I'd want other than faster processing which it sounds like Premiere is finally getting.

Like filmguy, I have almost a decade's worth of projects in Premiere and a couple dozen plugins so that makes the prospect of switching NLEs pretty daunting.
    Has the stability of Premiere improved? I ditched it early last year after it burned me badly (again)

FCPX has been very stable for me and I dont have to pay monthly. And while doing complicated things can be trickier, doing the simple edits that I do most frequently is probably a good bit faster in FCPX.

I have yet to learn Resolve and its node system although it seems like it trounces the others for grading.

Honestly - going between the different NLEs is pretty straightforward, especially if you copy the keyboard shortcuts from the program you're familiar with (which they can do automatically). FCPX is not as different from Premiere as people claim.

But yeah, most of the specific requests I see are for Premiere. Occasionally FCPX. Resolve only for grading
    Last edited by ahalpert; 10-21-2020 at 06:59 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    In all my years in this business, from well before the advent of digital (sadly!) I have never even been asked what I edit in, let alone had a request to use a particular system. Having said that, I would happily use whatever was requested if it meant getting the work, even more so now.

FWIW, after the Steenbecks (film) and early Sony edit suites (remember those?!) I started on NLEs with Avid then used FCP, PP and now do everything in Resolve.

7. Collapse Details
    The only time I edit with Premiere is for clients who request it specifically, usually because they too have a body of assets and work that was edited in Premiere. The ONLY reason I would ever voluntarily use Premiere
    would be if you incorporate your own AE work into your edits, the integration is obviously great. Luckily I am not an AE user.

Premiere has been an unstable, bloatware filled mess that crashes a lot more than it should over the past 4-5 years.
    This is because the base code framework is massively outdated and Adobe, so far, has refused to spend the millions of dollars
    it would take to rebuild Premiere onto a new basic framework, they just keep piling lame new features that few need onto the shaky old framework, hence it's reliability has been crap for years.

After editing for decades in FCP and FCP X and now a few years in Resolve, going back to Premiere feels like a clunky tricycle. It works but a lot of common operations
    are so slow and convoluted to get through. And Abe, FCP X, if you spend the time to learn the proper assistant editor loading and keywork collection functions, is VERY capable
    of extremely complex edits, but you have to do it properly to utilize it's metadata functions that are quite amazing, but kind of beneath the skin. And Resolve is a GREAT program
    to edit with, whereas just a couple of years ago, it wasn't.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by puredrifting View Post
    . And Abe, FCP X, if you spend the time to learn the proper assistant editor loading and keywork collection functions, is VERY capable
    of extremely complex edits, but you have to do it properly to utilize it's metadata functions that are quite amazing, but kind of beneath the skin. And Resolve is a GREAT program
    to edit with, whereas just a couple of years ago, it wasn't.
    I'm not sure if I know all the intricacies of the FCPX keyword system, and usually for stuff I shoot, I dont bother with it at all. But recently I had tremendous success with a series of edits where I was handed piles of b-roll that were easily categorized by frame size, static/moving, and what details of the paintings they featured. I took the time to keyword each clip and then my edits went so fast. It was like paint by numbers to think of what type of shot might work and then instantly find the candidates. And when the client wanted a shot swapped, it was a breeze to find an equivalent replacement. I can't remember if Premiere can do similar things.

But those were all just butt cut edits. The issues I have with FCPX concern some masking and crop/feathering that was easier in Premiere if I recall correctly. I've also had major issues with transparency/transition failures with group clips. Then it annoys me that you can't nest sequences. Sure, you can make the whole project a group clip. Seems wrong. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing. And then, as much as I love the magnetic timeline and nudging etc, it would be nice to have discrete tracks that I could turn on and off together, etc.

Oh, and until recently you couldn't load externally created proxies into FCP. Thats not pro!

But I sure dont mind the audio mixing for dummies panel since I can handle audio bUt I dont enjoy it, haha
    Last edited by ahalpert; 10-21-2020 at 08:59 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    Like a lot of PP editors I migrated over from FCP 7 to Premiere Pro in the great FCP X debacle. It was an easy transition to PP where you were able to set up FCP keyboard shorcuts and the interface was similar. I've tried Media Composer and it's just not for me. I understand why people like it but I'm just a drag and drop editor by nature. Resolve looks good, but I just don't have the patience to learn a new NLE at this point...

10. Collapse Details
    Funny that no one mentions Lightworks. I've worked in Media Composer and Resolve, as well as a few consumer things, but Lightworks seemed more logical to me. Haven't used it in years because I'm not really doing that much editing now, and the licensing/purchase leaves a little to be desired. For right now MC First does what I need, and I have a Resolve dongle (still on 15), just haven't spent the kind of time that I should with Resolve so "quick" things tend to get done in MC First. "Quick" being that everything gets exported to DNxXX and transcoded because Avid export options suck and take too long. But a workflow I'm familiar doing so quicker end product.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast