Thread: Camera cage

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Camera cage
    Hi!

I know this camera is quite frankly a bit too old for anyone to look into developing anything new for this camera, so if it someone, it has to be oneself.

Working with cinema professionals in LA I have been fortunate to befriend a few people that owns 3d printers, cnc machines, and well, anything you need to make anything. Luckily they have enlisted their help, and I am looking into designing a camera cage for the F35 looking similar to what ARRI made standard for the Alexa mini. First versions will probably be on the heavier steel side, but my goal is to make it as lightweight as possible.

I have a few questions though.

My goal was to build it in so the Odyssey 7Q could be attached to the cage on the “dumb side”, and therefor act as a assistants panel sort of. Or is there a better placement you think?

Second question, and I just want to have this cleared once and for all. If I attached 2 IF boxes to the camera, could I record 4444 in 50p then? Or is the 7Q not possible to record that? (It would alter the design if i could figure out a way to make merge 2 boxes into 1).

Finally.

Are there any diagrams, step by step guides, or videos on how to take the camera apart? I am pretty nifty with a screwdriver, but I sort of want to know if there are any irreplaceable ribbon cables I have to watch out for.

//C
    IATSE Local 600 Western Region1st Assistant Camera
    Associate Member of the S.O.C.

2. Collapse Details
    UPDATE!

After speaking to a few here, and actual cage makers, the work might be overdoing it, and the size of the 7Q isn't ideal.

And spoken to my AC friends, we have figured out an prototype top handle. Working title FTP-1, to replace the top.

IMG_6584.jpg

The back part is meant to house the AJA 3GM. Or potentially we might repurpose the IF box and remove the the XLR part completely.

Now for this build we have decide on a a few things.

-Using the PIX-E5 for size/weight
    -PIX E5 has a quicker and easier storage solution
    -PIX E5 is more durable
    -TimeCode can be sent in using 3.5mm, and therefore possible to actually match it
    -The FTP-1 ledge can be used to house terradek, or MDR, if not housing the AJA 3GM.

C
    Last edited by Archduk3; 11-13-2020 at 10:16 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    There are a few of these type of dry dock plates floating around:

IMG_2265.jpg

Personally I try to go the other way, F35 is too tall, I've removed the top dock completely from my cameras which is pretty easy compared to trying to reverse engineer the dock mount.

IMG_2278.jpg

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    I would look at getting a simple cheeseplate on top, then adding something like Smallrig's 1979 top handle (which is a terrific, cine-orientated design, and gives you 15mm rod clamps and a tonne of Arri-locating 3/8" holes). You can rig everything you need to off a handle like that.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Grug View Post
    I would look at getting a simple cheeseplate on top, then adding something like Smallrig's 1979 top handle (which is a terrific, cine-orientated design, and gives you 15mm rod clamps and a tonne of Arri-locating 3/8" holes). You can rig everything you need to off a handle like that.
    Yeah. This is our aim.

Cheese plate, a small rig handle, abs locating pins for more things like MDR.

We are still making a side plate. Because that will be the best way to make a permanent lock-in mechanism for the PIX.

My biggest hurdle right now is figuring out run/stop, preferably from operators side. And then later, time code.

C

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yachacha View Post
    There are a few of these type of dry dock plates floating around:

IMG_2265.jpg

Personally I try to go the other way, F35 is too tall, I've removed the top dock completely from my cameras which is pretty easy compared to trying to reverse engineer the dock mount.

IMG_2278.jpg
    I honestly doesn’t think size is too big. And I want to be able to move the IF box if necessary. Some steadicams are different.

Also I am having Fischer cables made so I can use the power out for accessories.

C

7. Collapse Details
    Update!

The plate has gotten its final form.

IMG_6678.jpg

Also, removed the handle attachment so now I can add a small mounting point for the EVF.

C

8. Collapse Details
    *UPDATE*

My AC has gotten to the side of the camera now, and it is getting interesting!!

IMG_6983.jpg

IMG_9346.jpg

//C

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    rip off that gaff tape over the bottom viewfinder port and make yourself a cover while you are at it.

These are 3d printed?

10. Collapse Details
    Loving the new plates. exactly the direction I would have loved to take my build at the time! (though I like the way Yachacha leveled off the top. )

This is exciting stuff and looks very nondestructive, which I suppose is a plus!

Inspiring man! great work!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast