Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_moore View Post
    Talk of MFT as/vs a cinemas format is IMO dumb..

MFT has hope IMO as 'the new 2/3' but for that to happen someone needs to get developing a lens that matches a 2/3 lens but is more affordable.
    Well...I feel like it's dumb because the fashions of the day are heading in the exact opposite direction (larger and larger sensors). So, in that sense, I dont think the market is headed there. There's no reason you couldn't use them for cinema.

Agree re:it being the new 2/3 though. Such a lens would be awesome.... 12-120 f/2.8 with great AF and IS

2. Collapse Details
    The Olympus 12-100mm f4 is the closest there is, quite a lump but I wonder how big an equivalent f2.8 would be

3. Collapse Details
    that olympus is only 1.23lbs and 4.50" long! great range. i mean, i suppose one could do with an f/4 lens in a pinch. if you have gh5s high ISO performance. what you really need, though, is the proper mechanics and servo zoom, etc. and a lanc controller port on the lens or the camera or something. and eND. and xlr inputs or a module. then you'd be cooking with gas.

and the whole camera/lens/aks package would probably cost the same as a Canon 18-80, which is a good lens but has an inferior range

4. Collapse Details
    Remember that 'the 2.8' look on full frame needs 1.4 on MFT

A proper pro zoom would not be 4 which would have the FF F8 look.

Id say 2 or 2.8

It would have to be a proper lens.. or at least as good/bad as the sony 18-110 which is not a fine lens but is usable and affordable.

As soon as one gets onto a motorised fuji 2/3 or canon cn17 you know you are playing with a proper thing for grown ups to go to work with.

Ahalpert is correct in that that feel is what is needed maybe more than speed.

5. Collapse Details
    Well I think the question is if you're willing to sacrifice the look of a wider aperture for the sake of size and cost. Then for beauty shallow DOF shots, you pop over to your Noktons or a speedboosted lens.

My sony 28-135 tripod collar arrived (the used copy came without it) and I now have it mounted and balanced on the ronin-s with a7s3...still determining the best way to control zoom

6. Collapse Details
    MFT has hope IMO as 'the new 2/3' but for that to happen someone needs to get developing a lens that matches a 2/3 lens but is more affordable.
    Remember that 'the 2.8' look on full frame needs 1.4 on MFT
    At first blush, it looks like you are arguing in both directions at once, but maybe I missed some nuance.

If you want 4/3 to be the new 2/3, then you want a long zoom with a moderate depth of field. The 12-100mm f/4, then, is decent --- an 8x lens with a depth of field equivalent to f/2 on 2/3.

On the other hand, if you want 4/3 to match the depth of field of 135, then yes, you need a wide aperture, like f/1.4. But then you ain't never gonna have a long zoom range, not in a moderately sized lens anyway.

7. Collapse Details
    Yep all the maths is adding up - 2.8 or 4 is probably the sweet spot

(for size and affordability)

8. Collapse Details
    The DVC200 is the attempt at M4/3rds replacing 2/3". Imho, 1" is a better choice for production type cameras and to emulate 2/3". The CX350 has great characteristics for zoom range, noise and weight. I wish it had more DR but a more expensive model could be made. As Combat pointed out, one can not mix the two looks (ENG & EFP) and be commercially viable.

9. Collapse Details
    I would say, physically viable. They will always find a way to make things cheaper, but optical physics says:

1. shallow focus
    2. long zoom
    3. portable

--- pick any 2.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    The DVC200 is the attempt at M4/3rds replacing 2/3". Imho, 1" is a better choice for production type cameras and to emulate 2/3". The CX350 has great characteristics for zoom range, noise and weight. I wish it had more DR but a more expensive model could be made. As Combat pointed out, one can not mix the two looks (ENG & EFP) and be commercially viable.
    Unless Im wrong.. (I dont follow them) the DVX200 and CX350 are flawed..
    fixed lens
    crappy codecs/bit depth
    no log looks
    1985 autofocus

THe GH5s is not hobbled like those. My single experience of the GH5s I thought the picture was better than my FS7

to me the idea would be..
    -a grown up ish zoom for actuality
    -some grown up well placed connectors
    -do your fancy stuff with a 25 0.95 prime (interviews) or big scencs with a 9mm prime

Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast