Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I thought you really liked the R5 until you had the edit the footage?

2. Collapse Details
    I did, it was a great camera, a lot of fun as I'm a mirorrless guy. And the highest quality mode or two was clearly better than its other compressions/resolutions, but it was the same "bleh" Canon video. Nicer than their previous offerings but nothing special once my hype evaporated.

I was comparing some of my 5D Mark IV footage to it at the time (didn't talk about it), and the former was just as good visually in the grand scheme on the world wide web.

3. Collapse Details
    Hype will get you. I try to keep my expectations realistic compared to my usage and price point. I know I will only get good video not cine quality but that is my realistic operating space. I really only need AF for gimbal work. I would hate to choose a camera on gimbal usage alone. At least the bit depth has moved to 10bit and beyond in many models so one can have more control in post to improve the images.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    I know. No one's even heard of Yongnou MFT.
    Just some of the others you forgot to mention:
    Z Cam, JVC, & DJI.
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Dilworth View Post
    A Four Thirds sensor is at least a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than a full-frame one. That becomes compelling when the total price of the camera is low. At $2500, this benefit is worth less (but not worthless).

Therefore, I think Panasonic needs to ease down the price of the GH-series cameras. I suspect that will start happening already with the GH6, which might be less innovative than previous cameras were, releative to the rest of the market. But cheaper. Fine by me.

The other major benefit of Micro Four Thirds is the wide range of smaller and cheaper lenses available. There remains a market for cheaper cameras as long as they’re not dumbed down for people who would prefer to point and shoot. That worked in the past. Nowadays, people who still buy standalone cameras want to be involved in the process. So cheap cameras today must still be enthusiast-focused, just less full-featured, bleeding-edge in tech, and solidly built than high-end cameras.

The mistake is to assume there’s no market for cheap cameras just because the old approach of aiming cheap cameras at non-photographers no longer works.
    I agree, the "cheap camera for non-photographers" market is nearly dead. Smartphones killed that.

But that doesn't mean the entire "cheap camera" market is dead in all its forms.

Not everyone is a professional cameraman, or a hobbyist while being a dentist/doctor/banker at their day job.

Thus there remains a strong enough market for a US$1.5K-ish priced camera (a GH6) and a US$750-ish camera (G85mk2) and a US$400ish body (GX850mk2).

That initial pricing difference between a MFT and FF sensor from the manufacture will allow Panasonic to hit those price points while still cramming in a lot of features into the cameras.

As camera brands fret over even just a fifty dollar price point difference, as that changes who the buyers are for a camera.

Plus let's not ignore the size benefits either! There is a large size/weight difference between a couple of bodies with a full lens kit when it is FF vs MFT.
    This matters a lot for documentary shooters, or anybody else who travels a lot. Or simply anybody else who wants a lighter bag, be it hikers or retirees.
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    I did, it was a great camera, a lot of fun as I'm a mirorrless guy. And the highest quality mode or two was clearly better than its other compressions/resolutions, but it was the same "bleh" Canon video. Nicer than their previous offerings but nothing special once my hype evaporated.

I was comparing some of my 5D Mark IV footage to it at the time (didn't talk about it), and the former was just as good visually in the grand scheme on the world wide web.
    Wait for the R1!

7. Collapse Details
    I'll get lava stone countertops if I want to look at something pretty and expensive that just sits there. lol

8. Collapse Details
    Just sits there? I dont follow.

It's possible that the R1 will bring canon stills quality to video. At the very least, it'll be a functional R5, though perhaps you've soured on the R5

9. Collapse Details
    Meaning it wouldn't get used much, ha

10. Collapse Details
    There's certainly no chance I'll buy it, no matter how good it is. Even if I hadn't just invested in e mount glass. The $3500 a7siii was more than I wanted to spend on that type of camera. I'd rather spend 2000-2500. Not that it isn't worth it. But something in the a7iv/s5/r6 tier can pretty much get the job done too. The A7SIII was just the only fully featured fully functional unit available at this time

Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast