Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    This was not my experience using APS-C crop mode when shooting 4K, only when shooting 1080p. Maybe I didn't look close enough as I moved to the S1H pretty quickly. Could you elaborate on your experience here?
    Slightly glossier in the crop. Noise level felt like one stop higher uncropped ISO.

And technically it makes sense. Uncropped is super sampled 6K. When you crop, you enlarge the noise.

Brawley claims he can observe a difference between 4K and 8K but not 8K and 12K. So perhaps when the cropped mode is 8K you will not notice a detail difference. That AA filter though.

And it will always be noisier cropped. No way around that. It might be good enough but it will always be better uncropped. Maybe it wont matter on the low end because it will be good enough or on the high end because they can adequately light.

Incidentally, Chivo used the Alexa 65 40% of the time on revenant and Alexa M for handheld and the XT for low-light for some reason. But obviously 65mm cameras could be made smaller.

I'm sure larger format cameras will proliferate. But there will still be s35.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    One man's opinion, obviously.

“When Christian Ditter, the director of “How to Be Single,” saw the rushes, he called me in Germany because he was so excited about the footage we shot,” writes Christian Rein, dp for the film, in an email to Variety. “He said that he never ever again wants to shoot on an ordinary 35mm sensor digital camera. “
    https://variety.com/2016/film/awards...od-1201708452/

3. Collapse Details
    How the hell did this thread go from - the GH6 will be crap if it doesn't have built in ND's, 4K 180 fps, and killer auto focus, to you need to shoot with an Alexa LF, with external ND's, a first rate focus puller, and 50 person camera crew?

4. Collapse Details
    I was mentioning to Abe and Norbro in another topic, that I thought the Face Detect AF on my GH5S was working pretty well on my gimbal. I was getting my stuff in order for tomorrow's wedding shoot which I'm doing this one alone, so gathering a 3rd camera, my GH5 when I noticed it didn't get all the AI functionality that came with update for GH5S, kind of a bummer. I think it will be okay, it's only going to be for a static tripod angle that'll be MF anyway but still a bit disappointed.

5. Collapse Details
    Somewhere in one of these threads one of these videos was posted (maybe this one, IDK), but this is going to be so nice for the Pockets and Panasonics for people that really love this stuff:

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    I'm sure larger format cameras will proliferate. But there will still be s35.
    I agree. I guess I didn't realize people were talking about it going away or being replaced. I think it won't. It has too many advantages for cinema, (Not saying I can name any Lol..), but for PL mount lenses, with so many focal lengths, anamorphic, telephoto, that would be a lot of top tier glass that would have to disappear as well. Because of photo FF? I doubt it. How safe is it as a format, btw?

7. Collapse Details
    It's safe...the LF is the de facto now with plenty of full-frame cinema glass at its disposal, especially now.

8. Collapse Details
    I just put in an order for these so if anyone is thinking full-frame but feeling a little undecided - don't worry, you can use some of my lenses:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...me_9_lens.html

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Somewhere in one of these threads one of these videos was posted (maybe this one, IDK), but this is going to be so nice for the Pockets and Panasonics for people that really love this stuff:
    It's interesting, but on some level, it's got to be in alignment with the sensor. And this is something I remember from 35mm camera SLR film days. It started with rangefinders, or even before that just a near/far switch, and progressed to split prism and then finally whatever it took for autofocus, I think it bounced an IR signal off the film plane through hole in the mirror, but the point about that, is even with the split prism, if it wasn't in perfect alignment with the film plane, or the sensor, you could think you had perfect focus nailed yet when you developed the pictures you didn't have perfect focus nailed.

10. Collapse Details
    Is it safe?
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    It's safe...the LF is the de facto now with plenty of full-frame cinema glass at its disposal, especially now.
    https://youtu.be/mqrpPaNm8yw

Is it safe?

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast