Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 245
  1. Collapse Details
    #71
    Senior Member ahalpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,826
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
    Have you seen the Netflix series "Altered Carbon?"

    It's filmed with the Arri 65 I believe, fantastic color and HDR, yet really irritating the overuse of shallow DOF. I'm getting a headache thinking about it.
    I love that show. I liked the look but I agree that sometimes it was too much. And in other cases it will be waaaay too much.

    And if a high end DP has to choose shooting cropped on a FF camera or shooting with a proper S35 camera, what do you think they will choose?


    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #72
    Senior Member ahalpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,826
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    As far as 2/3...no, they won't because they have a purpose. S35 has less of a purpose, and eventually none. That's the point.
    Sensor size is a spectrum not a binary. Inasmuch as S35 has advantages, it has a purpose. If people determine that FF has inherently higher IQ then maybe it will triumph. But I dont think that's the case, other than regarding sensitivity.


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #73
    Senior Member Tom Roper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    1,235
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    I love that show. I liked the look but I agree that sometimes it was too much. And in other cases it will be waaaay too much.

    And if a high end DP has to choose shooting cropped on a FF camera or shooting with a proper S35 camera, what do you think they will choose?
    I don't know, I really don't. If I had to guess and he's high end DP, isn't he going to choose S35 over FF? I take no position whether S-35 is "proper" or not, but I can't imagine too many wanting to make a FF rig the first choice.


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #74
    Senior Member Tom Roper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    1,235
    Default
    On the other hand, if Mr. High End DP has a choice of an Arri 65 I assume he's going to take it, which as a movie goer is harder for me to watch than S-35. I want to see some cinematic details, not just an exclusive focus on the subject with the background bokeh'd out. If he's going to shoot that way Lawrence of Arabia could be filmed in a cubby.


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #75
    Senior Member ahalpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,826
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
    I don't know, I really don't. If I had to guess and he's high end DP, isn't he going to choose S35 over FF? I take no position whether S-35 is "proper" or not, but I can't imagine too many wanting to make a FF rig the first choice.
    I'm not saying will he/she choose S35 over ff. Assume they've already chosen S35. Will he choose to shoot cropped on a FF camera or will they choose a proper S35 camera?

    The argument others make is that a FF camera can become an S35 camera by cropping. But that's not really true, not without penalties


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #76
    Senior Member ahalpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,826
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
    On the other hand, if Mr. High End DP has a choice of an Arri 65 I assume he's going to take it, which as a movie goer is harder for me to watch than S-35. I want to see some cinematic details, not just an exclusive focus on the subject with the background bokeh'd out. If he's going to shoot that way Lawrence of Arabia could be filmed in a cubby.
    No, there are plenty of people turning down those choices.

    Look at Brawley's tests for the great - blind camera/lens tests to determine which system created the most desirable aesthetic for the piece.

    And then at the end of the day, he was mandated to use one he didnt choose.

    Then he chose 12ks over milfs for his recent feature.

    Real DPs are not as easily influenced by clickbait specs


    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    8,773
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    The argument others make is that a FF camera can become an S35 camera by cropping. But that's not really true, not without penalties
    But that's that backwards thinking again...

    Some of us are getting ready for iPhones to replace half of the world's cameras and work yet you're thinking about some questionable "penalties" that no one (0%) will be able to spot if it's done correctly inside the camera.

    Talking about great high-resolution sensors with amazing images, not potatoes.

    Have seen this time and time again going all the way back to the 2015 with the a7RII. You personally saw it on your S1.

    These low-end cameras are perfectly fine in their S35 modes, so cinema cameras will undoubtedly have no trouble either.


    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #78
    Default
    So NorBro wants magical full-frame. Clear enough, but unlikely in a GH6.

    I’d like to know what any GH6 will do to GH5S prices. Dip or crash? I wasn’t watching this market when previous GH models arrived.


    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #79
    Senior Member Tom Roper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    1,235
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ahalpert View Post
    I'm not saying will he/she choose S35 over ff. Assume they've already chosen S35. Will he choose to shoot cropped on a FF camera or will they choose a proper S35 camera?

    The argument others make is that a FF camera can become an S35 camera by cropping. But that's not really true, not without penalties
    For convenience and practicality alone he's going to shoot with a regular S35, not going to use S-35 crop from a FF camera. I can't see a marquee DP doing S-35 crop, no.


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #80
    Senior Member ahalpert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,826
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    But that's that backwards thinking again...

    Some of us are getting ready for iPhones to replace half of the world's cameras and work yet you're thinking about some questionable "penalties" that no one (0%) will be able to spot if it's done correctly inside the camera.

    Talking about great high-resolution sensors with amazing images, not potatoes.

    Have seen this time and time again going all the way back to the 2015 with the a7RII. You personally saw it on your S1.

    These low-end cameras are perfectly fine in their S35 modes, so cinema cameras will undoubtedly have no trouble either.
    The S1 was noticeably softer and noisier in crop mode. The red scarlet was likewise waaaay noisier in crop mode. Among other issues, I believe that the aa filter is not optimized for cropping

    "Backwards thinking" - I dont appreciate your demeaning characterizations. If you disagree, just make your point
    www.VideoAbe.com

    "Captain, the most elementary and valuable statement in science, the beginning of wisdom, is 'I do not know.'" - Lt. Cmdr. Data


    Reply With Quote
     

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •