Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ade4all View Post
    You didn't have to go through all that although you seemed to have edited your response loads of times so I'm not sure I'm even replying to your final thoughts...
    My point in my other post was that other than the recent release of the A7s3, the gh5 (and S1H) are still the only true workhorse hybrid mirrorless cameras that you can film all day with and reliably connect a monitor to - micro hdmi is an accident waiting to happen every single time you use it. That reliability is worth more to some people than a slightly nicer image from a flakey overheating R5 for example and I would argue makes it a better main camera. Cause you can trust it. I wouldn't use an R5 as my only camera on a video production job but would have no qualms using just a gh5. Other cameras Catching up with some specs doesn't tell the whole picture, and there is still a market for this type of reliable workhorse camera
    After re-reading my post and re thinking what you said edited it down to a more concise post.

I will not argue that full HDMI isn't nice but even the S5 doesn't have one although you can get the more expensive model that does. If you want to put it all on a full HDMI connection the BM4k has full hdmi and uses M43 lenses. And if you want to say AF doesn't matter than that's an even stronger argument for the BM4k.

The point of this thread is the GH6, it's not to argue that you shouldn't use the GH5 or that it's not useful to your work flow. The sustainability of camera doesn't come down to one feature or one person's individual taste. There are people here who have said I don't care about auto focus, but that doesn't reflect the average buyer or what most people would expect out of a hybrid camera. Cameras don't exist on an island they are compared to other options. What you are describing is a very narrow audience that I think Panasonic will be struggling to sell enough cameras to make it worth their while. Just remember the lower the price the more cameras they have to sell.
    Last edited by Peter C.; 12-08-2020 at 05:39 PM.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Unless the GH6 has *both* internal eNDs *and* IBIS, then it won't find success being priced at US$3K
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

3. Collapse Details
    "All the competitors are releasing cameras with flip out screens, no time limits, IBIS and 10 bit color. Theses were the strengths of GH5 and once you consider the weakness it's complete rout."

This is why I love this forum. Information that matters from people who know.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    "Unless the GH6 has *both* internal eNDs *and* IBIS, then it won't find success being priced at US$3K"

Yet another oracle.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
    Panasonic did have a cinema line to protect. Varicam ...
    Not really. Pro division vs. consumer. An $1800 Gh-5 vs. $6,500 EVA 1, with LT going for about $20,000 as a shooting package. Too big a gap.

Of course, Nikon, Olympus and Fuji had absolutely nothing to protect and still stayed from the low end cinema niche. Which BMD was more than happy to fill.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    All the competitors are releasing cameras with flip out screens, no time limits
    Which are these cameras with no time limits?

Panasonic’s own S5 has a time limit. Canon’s R6 has both the hard time limit and overheating limits. The Nikon Z6 and Z6 II have a time limit. Sony’s α7S III does not, but it costs way more than any GH-series camera ever did. (I’m sure some people cross-shop the α7S III with the GH5S, but not many. Any that do are a testament to the phenomenal value of the GH-series.) Meanwhile, the α7 III has, you guessed it, the half-hour time limit.

It’s easy to glibly say other cameras have caught up and surpassed the GH-series, but when you actually shop for one of these for your own use, as I’ve been doing recently, it’s harder to overlook the flaws of the full-framers.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    I will not argue that full HDMI isn't nice but even the S5 doesn't have one
    That’s precisely the point. Neither does the α7 III, nor the Z6, nor the R6, nor even the $4k R5. The α7S III does, but at 2–3◊ the price of a GH camera.

It’s not just the full-size HDMI port that is missing. The GH cameras have a large number of video tools and features that these full-framers lack (though the S5 has inherited a lot of them and is an obvious stand-out for affordable full-frame video except for its sensor limitations: no OLPF and kinda slow readout).

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    Meanwhile, I have some unexpected good news to report: the GH6 is arriving next week!

You heard that right. Panasonicís hand was forced by my buying a GH5S, finally putting my money where my mouth is.

Thank me next week.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks for taking one for the team!

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Dilworth View Post
    It’s not just the full-size HDMI port that is missing.
    I have a stupid question. Why is an HDMI port important, and why must it be a full-size one? (I guess that's two stupid questions.) Every thread I read, there is at least one post about HDMI, and make it full size. So everybody wants it, everybody gets it, but me.

I'm guessing it's because you want to attach an external recorder. But I thought 10-bit 4:2:2 was good enough and is now available internally.

Or maybe it's because you want a bigger screen. That's a shame. I personally think the ideal size is 4", but they keep making them with 3" screens. 5" is too big for my tastes. Still, I would rather have a 3" built-in screen than run around with a big ol' screen attached (your tastes may differ). If your reason is a bigger or better screen, tell me, what would you require to stop wanting one? A 5" screen is probably too big ever to fit on a camera this size. But maybe 4". Or maybe 3" or 3.5" would suffice for you if the resolution was good enough, or the focus-assistive instrumentation was good enough (peaking, etc.).

And again, what's the deal with everyone wanting the HDMI full size? Doesn't it take just a cable adapter to go from HDMI to micro-HDMI?

Anyway, as far as the ports of the future (the near future), I would rather have USB 4. It's replacing everything: old USB, Thunderbolt, power cords, HDMI, display port, etc. It's 40 Gbps!!!

10. Collapse Details
    I dont enjoy rigging a 7" screen on my Ronin-S but it's necessary for 2 reasons - I can judge critical focus by it, and I can see it when I cant see the onboard monitor. I also enjoy eyeing the image. It's better for framing and I can read more details. I'm not sure I ever tangled with a lesser HDMI port on my cameras for regular use. But when I was an AC dealing with 5D etc, the mini HDMI cables broke constantly

Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast