Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Nice discussion going on. I have an Oly 12-40 f2.8 Pro for a general zoom on the GH5 and it is quite nice. I think I paid $630 for it. For a video only system, M4/3rds is a lot cheaper to fill out a lens lineup. FF DOF gets lost a bit for video use imho. f4 is often is shallow enough on FF, which is not too hard to get with primes on the GH5. So I feel the M4/3rds sensor still has a lot of usefulness. GH5s + IBIS + AF + DR + frame rates is a winner. Lets see what Panasonic can come up with.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    I never felt there was a compelling need or reason for M43 especially for video.
    It just depends on the job you're trying to do. For me it's reach reach reach, combined with weather sealing and small size as I'm doing a lot of wildlife. I'm spending most of my time at 1000 mm. My interest in this is quite selfish. The GH5 and 5S have worked well for me and I'd like to see them improved upon. It's not about cheap, I moved to the GH5 from an FS7, it's about what will best do the job. I would gladly pay the price of an S1H for a good GH6, that said, I realize that my particular needs are shared by very few.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by markoconnell View Post
    It just depends on the job you're trying to do. For me it's reach reach reach, combined with weather sealing and small size as I'm doing a lot of wildlife. I'm spending most of my time at 1000 mm. My interest in this is quite selfish. The GH5 and 5S have worked well for me and I'd like to see them improved upon. It's not about cheap, I moved to the GH5 from an FS7, it's about what will best do the job. I would gladly pay the price of an S1H for a good GH6, that said, I realize that my particular needs are shared by very few.
    I'm actually talking about an industry/marketing/engineering standpoint. MFT is a relatively new format and at the time when FF sensors were expensive, sony, canon and nikon offered inexpensive lenses and cameras based around APS-c. Those companies had robust lens families with mounts that had been used for decades. Panasonic which didn't have that advantage could have used their lens mount but chose not to. They put all their effort into a small sensor with no room to grow. Then they tried entering the FF market too late with mounting system that no one uses and offering lenses that are even more expensive than Canon or Sony. They will not be able to sell enough FF cameras and the MFT will slowly dwindle. They will be in Olympus position in a couple of years and will need to drop out of this market.

MFT works for you and fits what you do and that's great. Unfortunately for Panasonic their future in this market isn't promising.
    Last edited by Peter C.; 11-18-2020 at 11:28 AM.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    I'm actually talking about an industry/marketing/engineering standpoint. MFT is a relatively new format and ...
    Ah, got it.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    Nice discussion going on. I have an Oly 12-40 f2.8 Pro for a general zoom on the GH5 and it is quite nice. I think I paid $630 for it. For a video only system, M4/3rds is a lot cheaper to fill out a lens lineup. FF DOF gets lost a bit for video use imho. f4 is often is shallow enough on FF, which is not too hard to get with primes on the GH5. So I feel the M4/3rds sensor still has a lot of usefulness. GH5s + IBIS + AF + DR + frame rates is a winner. Lets see what Panasonic can come up with.
    I agree with this post. Gh line has really lagged full-frame for DR but I don't think it's technically impossible to achieve parity

And personally I have needs for extreme low light and shallow DOF which sort of settles the format question for me

6. Collapse Details
    I just posted on DPReview in the M4/3rds forum - What if Panasonic could pull off a global shutter in the GH6? M4/3rds has a sensor readout advantage over FF. Would it be possible and would it make a difference to people? The camera release would benefit from having a standout feature and Panasonic is known for being a company strong in engineering. Just food for discussion.

7. Collapse Details
    I have no idea if naturally having a faster readout means it's easier to go global. Probably... but it may be a qualitative difference and not a quantitative one.

Also, basically every global shutter implementation has come with a DR penalty, although supposedly komodo comes close to the DR it had in rolling shutter mode. So, if the GH is already lagging in DR, it's an uphill climb to achieve DR parity and go global.

Plus, I personally dont mind RS as long as it's fast. The A7SIII is basically fast enough for me. The biggest issue is strobe lights but I dont think that it's that ugly or distracting to have a partial flash across the frame. It still happens in only one frame. Others may disagree.

So, I think the camera you describe would be awesome, but I'm skeptical. especially since it's easy to say that if X camera company just implemented this list of amazing features and sold it at an unbeatable price, they would be #1 in the segment overnight. Of course, it's true. But it never happens like that. The new technologies are telegraphed well in advance and there are usually gotchas, like with the R5 overheating.

I think the R1 is going to be an amazing camera. Basically an R5 that works but possibly even better IQ. But it's going to cost like $6500 and still lack internal ND or audio inputs or all the functional aspects of the FX6. But the footage will make us drool with envy

8. Collapse Details
    Good points. And I am not trying to be starry eyed about it either. It is a long shot. My impression was that a global shutter would do a lot for cadence or feel of the footage.

Since Norbro accused me of never buying a camera I realized I was kind of stalling, for the GH6 to have a chance and to give room for R5 improvement. I just watched the "Sky on Fire" FX6 short and thought it was nice but it looked liked video. Video that a GH5 other mirrorless cameras could have made in many respects outside of low light situations. The tide has lifted a lot of boats lately.

9. Collapse Details
    haha...never buying a NEW camera...you'll find one for sure.

10. Collapse Details
    The way I see it is the main thing to be excited about in any of these new cameras is the bundle of features to get your job done with ease and joy.

>>> You need AF, you get AF.
    >>> You need IBIS, you get IBIS.

Preferably you get as much as you need in one body.

But the IQ improvements...so darn subpar, IMO.

The better cameras from 4-5 years ago really look not much worse. I don't know what's happening.

Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast