Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The mirrorless space has become very crowded and competitive. You need to have a niche. Either aimed at professional photographers (Canon R5) or professional hybrid good at both video and photos (Sony A7iii) or budget cinema (Pocket 4k), and then there are numerous lower cost mirrorless. There is probably very little that could be significantly improved in the GH6 that would attract customers away from other choices.

If you look at this chart towards the bottom of this article you can see the decline in sales especially in the low end. The professional market looks to be the only area where there is potential for growth.
    https://petapixel.com/2020/07/11/doe...n-photography/
    Last edited by Peter C.; 10-18-2020 at 10:44 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Cameras need ND and 10bit and the option to buy a decent adult zoom lens for about $5k

Im convinced MFT can deliver this

Im interested when this happens - which it wont.

Panny cant even put an ND in the new small 'cinema camera'

3. Collapse Details
    You guys are all right, but if Panasonic put out a GH6 for $2,000 I would buy it. I would guess that many other GH5 owners would too. But only if it kept pace with features. Cameras that hit the mark tend to sell. It did not have to have 8k, just extend on the solid offering of the GH5 with improvements. I would think Panasonic knows just how close they are to these sales but some other overriding reason has taken over. These sales opportunities have a shelf life and the 'best by' date is approaching rapidly... Meaning once I leave the M4/3rds system it will be tough to get me back. It is kind of a shame.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman2003 View Post
    You guys are all right, but if Panasonic put out a GH6 for $2,000 I would buy it. I would guess that many other GH5 owners would too.
    Why, because of lenses? That was the thing for me - I never bought any m43 lenses except a pancake. I just adapted and speedboosted the same Canon and Nikon mount lenses that I've used on all my cameras. I have no objection to adapting lenses unless you're trying to use autofocus. Then, aside from adapting EF to RF, you really want to use native lenses.

But sure, if someone's got a nice set of M43 zooms and Voigtlander primes, I could see it being hard to leave M43 behind.

I'm trying to be more practical and targeted buying E-mount lenses than I was buying EF lenses. I started with the sigma 24-70 which I got on sale for $1k. Then on Prime Day I bought a samyang f/1.4 35 and 85 and an f/2.8 18 with lens dock for about $1120 plus tax for all 3. I could get a tamron 70-180 for about $1k but I'll wait to get it on sale for less. Then maybe maybe I might get a tamron 28-200 for $700ish. So you're looking at basically all the lenses I would need for less than $4000. And just keep using my Laowa 12mm for ultra wide since its MF only anyway.

Which is all just to say that with high quality third-party lens options, it's not that expensive to buy into a new system. L and RF mount dont yet have as many options available as E mount, but they will. There are really nice f/1.8 lenses that are even cheaper.

So, I feel like having a small lens/camera rig is the main draw of M43, and also having more DOF. (Readout speed too, but the A7SIII has an 8ms RS.) If a GH6 comes out at the same price as or higher than an S5, I feel like that's a hard sell.
    Last edited by ahalpert; 10-19-2020 at 07:25 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter C. View Post
    The mirrorless space has become very crowded and competitive. You need to have a niche....
    That isn't decided by any given company. Petapixel presumes this is a competitive market. Which it is not.

Its sales totals are also behind the times, since an automatic rebound to even the pathetic 2019 numbers ought not be expected. In the US, where Apple dominates, the iPhone 12 iterations basically render any amateur ILC model worthless. Across the globe, where Samsung and Huawei have a large share of the market, the situation is even worse.

CIPA gives the August ILC shipments at ~ 400,000 units worldwide. In a rapidly shrinking market, many a model is culled. With Olympus mostly out, there is no second partner in the MFT business. Which doesn't bode well for GH-6.

6. Collapse Details
    All true, but it is not like they are just starting the GH6 development. I see/saw the GH6 as a parting shot in the series as they would have been working on it for years already. I do not want to buy any L-mount lenses, so that rules out the S-series for me. M4/3rds is very adaptable and video folks do not need the super shallow DOF like still shooters. Maybe a 35mm could be useful at f1.4 on the FF but most of the time you will be at f2.8/f4 on FF to keep something in focus.

What will be a mistake from my point of view is if Panasonic releases a GH6 next year. After the FF options released this year, not much can hold a candle going forward. They just missed the window imho.

7. Collapse Details
    They just missed the window imho.
    Perhaps they're looking through a different window....

(And they'll surprise us all.)

8. Collapse Details
    . Maybe a 35mm could be useful at f1.4 on the FF but most of the time you will be at f2.8/f4 on FF to keep something in focus.
    While you certainly dont always (or even often) want f/1.4 DOF, Sony/Canon AF can keep something (and usually the right thing) in focus at f/1.4 even when the distance is in flux. You dont know the power of the dark side! ;)

9. Collapse Details
    Great point!

10. Collapse Details
    Probably a bit over optimistic, but all in the realm of possibility:

- Improved GH5s sensor w/IBIS (higher DR, better lowlight)
    - Improved image mojo, less digital/sharpened, more organic
    - Improved IBIS
    - Good AF, truly competitive with sony & canon
    - Global Shutter
    - Internal electronic variable ND
    - Mini XLR, internal 32-bit float recording and strong pre-amps
    - Full vlog (goodbye, L)
    - Internal ProRes RAW
    - USB-C recording to attached SSD
    - 4k120p h.265 422 10-bit (or higher FPS); FHD 240p 10-bit 422
    - Super bright, 4K resolution 4" flip out rotating screen

Same UI/Ergo focus Panasonic puts into S series bodies. Full UI/software video tools including false color, robust VFR and higher bitrate codecs for VFR, etc. Fully weather sealed, robust rigid frame - truly a lightweight tank.

$2200. Available in a kit lens config with the Lumix 10-25 f/1.7 zoom for $3500.

Sold?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast