1. Collapse Details
    green screen keying
    121628764_372991644145698_5798106259426573091_n.jpg
    Hi i try to add something in the background of this picture and i can't seem to be able to do a good keying at all.
    Is it that the subject is too close from the green screen and the green screen is too dark ?

2020-10-16_11h59_02.jpg Here is the result for now.

Thanks in advance,
    Deleuze3

2. Collapse Details
    Yes. The model is WAY too close to the green screen. There shouldn’t be a thick shadow surrounding her like that.

Move the model forward and light her separately from the screen. You want to avoid shadows, but you also want to avoid spill (green bouncing off the screen and onto her). Both can affect how clean a key you’re able to get. As for the green screen, light it evenly behind her.

You want to be able to select the green, and only the green, to remove and replace. If you’re also trying to replace the dark shadows, you’re going to replace pretty much anything else with that chroma value.
    Knoxville-based location sound mixer.

Instagram @sonolocus

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    You'll have to rotoscope this one.

I'm not a green screen expert, I've avoided it due to the large potential for something to go wrong. With that said, here are a few general best practices when shooting green screen:
    Subject should be > 6' from the background
    Use a proper green screen background
    background and subject should be exposed at the proper ratios
    Background needs to be clean, wrinkle free, and evenly lit.
    And the list goes on.

Here are a few tutorials on how to light and expose for green screen.

4. Collapse Details
    What are you keying with? Some keys are better than others - this is the best I can do with the ultra keyed in Premiere.
    green screen2000.jpg

In my studio we do green and blue screen and we have white and black backgrounds too. Green is the most useful, but you MUST separate the talent from the background and if you have a less capable keyed, you also need a little backlight to remove the green reflections that bounce back and tint the shoulders and the hair which messes up the key. Your front lighting also needs to be softer than perhaps you would like so that the shadows from these don't create hard edges on the backing.

Your green looks a rather dark green,
    Mine's quite a bit 'greener'
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Collapse Details
    Shooting in a 10-bit codec is also important, yes? I am supposed to try to do some greenscreening on Monday, and I'm thinking I will need to record externally to an Atomos and record Prores 4:2:2.

6. Collapse Details
    There's also the old trick of using a pan-tilt head or L-bracket to shoot vertically so that you cam maximize the camera's resolution, which is one of the few occasion where it's acceptable to shoot vertical video. I remember reading that 4K 8-bit keys better than HD 10-bit, but I'm not sure that's true or not.

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks for all the comments its really appreciated! It helps me to get better !
    Have a good day everyone !